1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Capela for Thon Maker?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 13, 2016.

?

Would you trade Capela for Thon Maker?

1. Yes

86 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. No

486 vote(s)
    85.0%
  1. basketballholic

He's a role player whose impact can be replaced by a 6'8" second year player who
    played a grand total of 379 minutes in 39 games his rookie season.

2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Wait, are you saying Harrell is replacing Clint's impact?

You do understand there's more to a basketball game than putting the ball in the basket right?

Try even attempting to explain how Harrell is replacing Clint's impact on rebounds.

Trez is lengthy - but he does not rebound the ball in traffic like Clint does.

I haven't seen Trez grab a rebound that is highly contested and think to myself 'that was a hell of a rebound, I didn't think he'd even have a chance'.

Clint does it a couple of times a game.

Yule C

arabrocket likes this.
  3. basketballholic

Ummmmmm, wins and losses baby. We haven't missed a lick since Capela's been out. You can point to micro issues like rebounding numbers but you're looking at minutia.

Capela is a role player with very limited capacity. He could be replaced by any of 40-50 bigs currently under NBA team contracts and we'd be the same or better.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

He will have the last bump

#WeelC

5. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Ok, I'm still not extremely high on Capela and definitely feel like he can be replaced much like I think Ariza could be, but to pretend like he can be replaced by Montrezl or 40-50 bigs on current contract is not true... It'd be really hard for me to find 50 centers I'd rather want.

I mean since December 20th the Rockets have been 24th in DRTG but.....

from November 17th (the first 3 game winning streak and Pat's return) all the way to December 17th when Capela went out the Rockets were 8th in DRTG.

That's a huge, huge, huge drop off, and you can't say that it doesn't matter because we're winning. That's bogus. If you use that logic then the rest of us ClutchFans members can use the logic of "we don't need to trade for or sign a true point guard because 'wins and losses baby' james harden is doing just fine."

The truth is that we're winning a lot of games because we're an offensive juggernaut but we are still very streaky in games by either giving up big leads in the middle of the game or by starting off way slow. During the 11/17-12-17 run Houston had a net rating of 10.5 points. Since he's been out? 4.9 which means that it has basically been cut in half.

Don't pretend that just because Houston is still winning games that we're not missing a beat without Clint. That's just dumb.

D-rock and ThatBoyNick like this.
  6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I really don't know if you're deliberating saying these things to get replies from people and be the 'cool' guy who always is in disagreement - or whether you seriously don't understand the game of basketball as much as you think you do.

But for the sake of this argument - name just 40 big men you'd take over Capela. I won't force you to lose even more dignity by asking for 50.

SAS - L
    PHX - W
    MEM - L
    PHX - W
    DAL - W
    LAC - W
    NYK - W
    WAS - W
    OKC - W
    ORL - W
    TOR - W
    CHA - W
    MIN - L

So you're saying we don't need Capela because of the wins and losses. Completely disregarding the soft schedule in the games that Clint has missed are you? Or does that tidbit not factor into your narrative so you choose to dismiss it?

See the recurring trend in those few Ls though? I'll give you a hint - the opposing big men.

But never mind me. I just use logic and understand there's much more to basketball than simply looking at the points scored by a certain player each game and the results in the W/L column. :rolleyes:

#306 Downtown Sniper, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    mathor likes this.
  7. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

His stupid argument will be "OHHHH but i'm not saying there ARE 40-50 players better than CC right now. Just his IMPACT can be replaced by 40-50 C's in the NBA. Thon for VP"

He is truly the spin master.

D-rock likes this.
  8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Hypocritical to say "wins and losses baby" when you crucify Harden for turnovers despite all of our "wins and losses baby".

But I get it. You gotta push them narratives!

arabrocket and D-rock like this.
  9. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Could have used Capela last night . . .

D-rock likes this.
  10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

AND Eric Gordon.

AND the rest of Pat Beverly.

But this isn't their thread, I know.

As for Thon Maker? No, why give up Capela, who's proven his value? If there were some other means of acquiring him without gutting the core (and I don't know that there is), well.........maybe?

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Just imagine this starting lineup:

Rubio
    Harden
    Ariza
    Anderson
    Maker

Wow. I'll bet the Warriors all felt a rush of fear the moment I finished typing that.

12. mightybosstone

Has he completely, though? Because I'd say that's an exaggeration. Offensively, I'll buy that Harrell can be used in a similar role as Capela, although I'd still call Capela the better pick and roll player. But defensively, they're giving up a lot from the Capela to Harrell transition. Harrell's a subpar rebounder for a big man with a low block percentage who struggles to defend pretty much any average-sized starting center in the league. Capela is well above average as a rebounder and shot blocker who does a much better job protecting the rim.

I don't have any hard data to prove Capela's clear advantage on the defensive side of the floor. But how about this stat: In the 28 games Capela played this season, the Rockets defense gave up 115+ points six times, including that double overtime win over Golden State. In the 13 games since Capela has been out, they've given up 115+ points seven times already. That could be a coincidence, but I'm thinking not...

D-rock and topfive like this.
  13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Get the hey off of it. One guy can defend the rim. One cannot. You're online narcissism is inane and a half.

topfive likes this.
  14. basketballholic

Yeah. Go ahead and equate Harden's and Capela's impact.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Guess you missed game against Minnesota last night. Clint was sorely missed, especially on the boards.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Wins and losses baby! you point to micro issues like turnovers, but the Rockets are winning at the 3rd best rate in basketball. Psst, you and your focus on the minutia!

roslolian likes this.
  17. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Daily reminder that this is totally a random trade

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

And now the goal posts are moving...

Gotta push them narratives.

19. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Rockets are 3rd in the west and 31-10. Turnovers? Pshhh yall looking at minutia.

Wins and losses baby

wins and losses baby

wins and losses baby

wins and losses baby

20. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

I feel bad for the people that take bbhaulic seriously by replying to his non sense stupid arguments,
    "We are not letting parson walk, morey is doing everything to resign him" lol
    "Spenser Dinwidie is a great player"
    "Rubio is a star we need on this team"
    "We need Brandon rush"
    "Tyson chandler trade was discussed, but Morey is holding out for something better"
    "Rockets will be a lottery team if Capela is our starting center" " trade him for thon maker"
    "DMO is not losing a single dollar if he holds out" " he's got everything to gain and playing it right"
    "Cody zeller is a star"
    "Will never win anything as long as harden is handelling the point"
    Yul ccccccc

redhotrox and topfive like this.