1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Chargers should have moved to Houston.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Tha_Dude, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Just imagine if the Chargers had moved here and renamed themselves the Rockets. Then Houstonians would have two Rockets teams from San Diego to root for and all the other masochists in this town could root for the Texans. Plus, Rockets vs Texans games would be epic. People will come, they will come from all over to watch.

#1 Tha_Dude, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

3. Tha_Dude

Yeah, you're probably right Bobby. But still, I wish they had moved here too if for no other reason than it would give us an additional team to potentially win a SB.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It would probably work better here than LA, you'd think they would have learned something the last time. That market probably won't support 1 NFL franchise worth a damn, there's no way they'll support 2.

5. Tha_Dude

I think they chose L.A only because of the new stadium and because the Chargers have so many fans there already, it may have taken them time to build a bigger fansbase in other cities. Still, I know for a fact if they had moved here and changed their name to the Rockets, they would be an instant hit. Then again, I may be entirely wrong on that and thats cool too. Not really sure, but I think we both agree it would be cool to have TWO NFL teams in this city, ami right?

6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Hard enough we can't get everyone to cheer for the Texans. Seems like Houston is 60/40 in favor of the cowboys. Bringing in another team would be horrible for the Texans. Plus, who'd root for the chargers? Fans formally from the bay?

Pen15clubber likes this.
  7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Not sure what you are talking about but I would trade our 1st for Rivers. He doesn't like LA and wants out.

8. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I don't like two teams of the same sport on a city. I just don't find it fun at all. But I do wish the Texans buy the Oilers name and history back from the Titans. We should petition for that.

Creepy Crawl, MadMax and red5rocket like this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

Chargers need to start a new.... how about we give them Brock and his one year left and our 2,3,and 6th round pick for Rivers.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I thought it was interesting that during the Raiders game, the broadcast showed clips of the last time Houston played the Raiders in the playoffs....back when they were the Oilers.

Had the Titans been playing in that playoff game, do you think they would have shown that same clip? They own that history, but there's just so little significance of that history to that fan base that didn't grow up around it.

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

They should've moved to Wall, TX.

cwebbster likes this.
  12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

A few years ago, Nashville saluted the Luv Ya Blue era. It was weird. It's also weird Houstonians cheer for the Titans.

The broadcast would've still shown the Oilers-Raiders matchup if it were the Titans.

MadMax likes this.
  13. awc713

awc713 Member

San Antonio would've been an interesting relocation. Wonder if they'll ever get a team.

JamesC likes this.
  14. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

At least once a year, I play a franchise season on Madden as the Tennessee Titans just so I can move them to Houston, put them in a dome and rename them the Oilers (complete with the classic uniforms). It makes me feel, for a short time, like all is right with the world.

The most time consuming part is purging the Titans roster of all the Titans. So much hate...

MadMax and Tha_Dude like this.
  15. Houstunna

Supporting Member

I mentioned this in the Astros Forum about a year ago.

The notion was ridiculed and mocked.

16. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

SA can't get a new stadium and Mcnair/Jones will cockblock it.

juanm34 likes this.
  17. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I could see Jones but McNair? Would a team in SA really hurt the Texans reach in central Texas? I'm guessing it's probably 95% Cowboy Country.

18. Houstunna

Supporting Member

From my limited SA knowledge, probably closer to 75-25.

Texas should have more teams period though. Florida has more despite having only 75% of the population.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It's not based solely on population. If that were the case, NY and California would have even more teams.

In this case, the Cowboys popularity would make it highly unlikely for a central Texas team to flourish... that and the lack of Fortune 500 companies that don't already have their ties to UT or other ventures.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Texans have zero problems with fan support in Houston.

Pen15clubber likes this.