1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JJ Watt, 2017 Superbowl

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Yodels, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

If the Texans defeat the Patriots and Chiefs, is it possible for JJ Watt to come back and play in the Superbowl? I thought the IR rules are only for regular season--is that true? Also, how is his convalescence? I thought I saw him running suicides in nrg before the Raiders game...

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't think so... but I'd actually guess that Vegas would give you better odds on a Watt playoff comeback vs. the Texans making the Super Bowl...

3. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I think he's out of shape.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He's out. He wasn't removed from the IR and he's only just been cleared to start football activities.

5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Did you actually see how he was running?

A friend of mine works for a spine surgeon and he swears JJ will never be the same. He said the diagnostics are advanced, but the surgeries are not. He's a huge Watt fan, but he's pretty adamant that he won't return to anything close to his dominant self. Guess we shall see.

#5 mikol13, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

That's essentially what the majority of doctors I've read/heard have said as well. Basically that it's not impossible but extremely unlikely that Watt will ever be the same physically. Of course, the prognosis was pretty poor for Clowney as well.

Pen15clubber, vince and mikol13 like this.
  7. HstnSprtsFan101

Y'all are killing my vibe :( I hope JJ can defy the odds. Even if he can be 80% of his former self we have a pretty good player. Man the Texans have been cursed with star players getting injured

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Don't worry about it, no doctor that hasn't seen the actual charts of this specific injury can tell you the odds one way or the other. Every injury is different and every person heals differently.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

No. They already brought back Brennan Scarlett from IR and teams only get one player to bring back.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Texans wouldn't bring JJ back this season even if they could. They would not risk it.

11. vince

vince Member

Oh man, i did not what to read that. But if true, it will never be said Watt didn't leave it all out on the field. Here is to hoping he can get back to his pro bowl self....

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Right, they already did that and it got him re-injured.

He himself let the cat out of the bag when he said "this time" he was going to do the rehab "right, not fast." Such a stupid decision.

13. vince

vince Member

sounds like he has jeopardized his career being impatient already.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Texans have players with broken ankles who can't heal in 120 damn days.

15. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Why the hell did the Texans try and rush JJ back this year? Just stupid, man. I don't like getting into cynical mindsets but if JJ never returns to his former self well, someone needs to be axed for this. I know hindsight is 20/20 but dudes hindsight simply says don't be a ****ing moron with our franchise player.

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Nailed it.

Even if they wanted to, the Texans cannot, nor would they, bring JJ back this season.

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

JJ rushed himself back. It was a big deal personally to never miss any games. His he passed his x-rays and physicals, so he was cleared medically, but no way did he feel 100.

18. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Watt will probably never bullrush and overpower OL the way he did before, will have to rely on quickness more to get to the qb or rb.