1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 CFP National Championship: (1)Alabama vs. (2)Clemson

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Dec 31, 2016.

?

(1)Alabama vs. (2)Clemson

Poll closed Jan 8, 2017.
  1. Alabama

55.0%
  2. Clemson

45.0%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Great great game and congrats to Clemson. Watson was a man out there wow.

That Little fella Renfrow has a game for sure!

Good form Clemson that they got away with an extremely obvious pick play though lol

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Do you also hate pick and roll or pick and pop plays in basketball? You'd rather see skill win out by forcing players take defenders one on one without the help of a pick right?

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It's a questionable play as the receiver and CB are jamming each other within 5 yards of the LOS and the receiver in effect blocks his CB into the other cover CB. It probably should've been called. I'd be mad if my team got picked.

4. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Isn't that similar to how they never call moving picks in the NBA? It's stretching the enforcement of a rule to gain an advantage right? I don't see how a pick play in football is any worse than a pick play in basketball.

5. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Last night Watson had 420 yards passing with 3 TD’s and 43 yards rushing with a TD. Bama gave up 35 points in a loss.

Last year Watson had 405 yards passing with 4 TD’s and a pick, and 73 yards rushing. Bama gave up 40 points in a win.

In 2014 the OSU QB”S had 256 yards passing with 2 TD’s and a pick, and 43 yards rushing. Bama gave up 42 points in a loss. They also gave up 23 points to WV that season (it was a game until the middle of the 4th), and Trickett had 365 yards passing and a TD.

In 2013 Trevor Knight had 348 yards passing with 4 TD’s and a pick. OU drug Bama (45 points given up).

Fair to say the style of play in the SEC has a lot to do with how great Bama’s defense looks? When they see teams with QB’s that pass, the D doesn’t look as deadly.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

That and uptempo offenses have really been the one Achilles heel for Bama. Clemson ran 30 more plays than Bama did last night and just read that it was the most (99) plays ever run against them.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

8. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Congrats to Clemson, it was a great win.

9. Buck Turgidson

Wrong thread. That's for the "Your School Sucks..." one, or the UT one, it's hard to tell them apart these days.

10. gucci888

Not sure if already discussed but just heard an interesting idea on Doug Gottlieb show that Bama should've held the receivers on the last play. No way Clemson goes for it after that and basically play for OT.

11. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

So what do you guys think of Watson as a pro QB?

I think if he's still around at houstons draft pick in the 1st round they need to grab him.

I'm on the fence on if I think he can be successful but I see some Dak Prescott in him and he might be have better accuracy. He's def more seasoned than dak coming out of college.

But I do know Brock is not the guy long term.

I would love to see the Texans draft a QB in the 1st round it would be great. He played really well against the most NFL like D in college and actually got better and made reall NFL throws and reads in that second half.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Play they ran probably still would have worked... because it was a pick play.
    Partly because I wanted Clemson to win I don't care that much. I think it should have been called because it was so obvious. Clemson should have run it less obviously... but whatever, it worked for them.

13. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Bama won't be going away anytime soon. They have the #1 recruiting class again. A lot of the best players on the defensive side of the ball are going to the NFL but there are other 5 star recruits to take their place.

Basically all of our offensive skill positions players will be back next year with the addition of the #1 overall RB recruit (he's been compared to Adrian Peterson). Jalen Hurts will only get better and if he can become accurate on the deep ball then he'll be the deadliest QB in the game.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That's a **** thing to say in hindsight. What a dick. Alabama is capable of stopping teams in that situation better than anyone. To say there is "no way" Clemson would go for it after another penalty seems plenty possible to me.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

49ers, Browns and Jets are looking for a QB.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's dumb any way as they literally couldn't do it. Clemson ran a pick play and Renfrow ran under it straight to the endzone. Bama never could have held him. Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if they would have held him if they had a chance to.

17. JayZ750

Most grades have him not as a first round pick. He has accuracy issues (deep balls, under pressure) and is slightly undersized. But sure, he could be great. The "graders" miss all the time. But I would pass. I'm happy to see the Texans draft a QB, but I think there's a group of them that are all 2nd-4th round picks - including Watson - and the Texans should target one of them and draft them at the appropriate spot... not in the first round.

18. gucci888

Even if Bama stopped them on that play, Clemson still would've had 1 second to kick the FG and go into OT. With a hold, the only way Bama LOSES the game in regulation is Dabo literally going for it all which is possible, but doubtful. Even then, it puts you back in the same spot you were the play before where you'd need to get a stop.

In other words, Clemson has 2 chances to WIN the game in that situation. With a hold, they only get 1 and that is by going for it down 3 with 1 second left in the National Championship Game.

19. Buck Turgidson

I am 5'11", 185, so is Renfrow, I can't imagine taking the shots he does.

I love seeing the little guys do well. Just watched the 4Q again.

20. JayZ750

Yeah, plus if you look at the play I still suspect the play run would have resulted in a TD even if Bama was purposefully holding. The corner might have been a bit more aggressive running up to Renfrow and disrupted the play, but probably would have still just waited for him for that half second which was enough to be picked. Its not like these guys practice deliberate holding plays.

Last drive video below. final play starts at 7:30