1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden is gonna get screwed over again in MVP Voting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenTime, Jan 1, 2017.

1. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Staahhppp

T for 3 likes this.
  2. jayfree

jayfree Member

Westbrook has 16 triple-doubles this year to Hardens 8. However, 5 times Harden was 1 rebound away from one and 3 times Westbrook was 1 assist away from one. If you consider those in then Westbrook leads 19 to 13 which looks a lot closer now.

A triple-double is nice but it really is an empty stat compared to someone that ALMOST averages a triple-double. It would be like in football a player has 10 100 yard games while another player has 5 100 yard games but 3 95 yard games. Is one THAT much better than the other?

Now look at Harden having a higher FG%, 3-pt% and FT% and scoring only 2.4 ppg behind Westbrook on 5.2 less shots per game. The only real advantage Westbrook has to this point of the season is rebounds.

D-rock likes this.
  3. T for 3

T for 3 Member

i really don't know why i am arguing for westbrook...so i'm just going to stop. i get your point on win shares but 30 and 10 hasn't been done either, I think it is a moot point anyway because westbrook is bound to slip. ok now i'm done.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

OKC has had the easiest schedule in the west so far and they are entering a really tough portion over the next month and a half. If they are still close to us in the standings, then it will be a toss up, but I don't think that will be the case. I'm also confident his rebound pace will slow down. He's gonna lose some juice trying so hard to chase uncontested stat padding rebounds while trying to beat good teams.

Having said that, if the Thunder do manage to have a comparable record, while he averages 30/10/10, him winning the MVP isn't ridiculous, I just don't expect either to happen so i'm not stressing.

DudeWah and Tha_Dude like this.
  5. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

some real love here!!!

6. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

This is the JH13 that Houston needs to succeed. MDA's system and the roster helped ignite Super Saiyan mode. Cut the turnovers and the numbers will soar higher.

7. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Fair counterpoint. I love Westbrook's game. 2nd behind Harden, he's one of my favorite players in the NBA today. I'm just trying to bring it back to "Its a close, tough decision" even if Russ avgs a trip dub. Cause right now in the media they aren't even debating it. The MVP race talk is basically that if Russ avgs a trip dub then it's a shoo-in. I say not so easy if Harden keeps doing what he's doing.

8. T for 3

T for 3 Member

couldn't agree more. I have harden over west brook too. I think your right i might be overrating the trip dub for a season. I just hope it doesn't come down to the media having to make that decision.

9. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Such bs. The better question is what if you switch harden and Westbrook. How would there new teams do? I suspect harden's team would do better than westbrook's.

slothy420 likes this.
  10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I talk with my out-of-town friends, and the consensus is that the triple double season average is a trump card for Westbrook. If he hangs on for it, then it's hard to argue against anyone else for MVP, and that's with full knowledge that Harden got jobbed for the exact opposite reason two years ago.

It's kinda like when Miguel Cabrera won the triple crown a few years back. All the advanced stats had Mike Trout as a more valuable player, but Cabrera was a shoe-in for MVP because no one ever gets those kind of stats. It happens once every fifty years.

I don't think Westbrook will keep it up, but that's kinda the boat we're in now. Rooting for WB to fail rather than hoping that there's anything James can do to surpass him.

11. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

When are Rockets fans finally going to learn that regular season MVP's mean jack ****?

The real award is called "Finals MVP". Let's hope Harden wins that one.

napalm06, Cashmoney and bongman like this.
  12. Joseph Ho

Joseph Ho Member

Let Westbrook win MVP. James Harden winning MVP isn't really important anymore. It's no point to stress and be upset about it because the media wanted Westbrook to win MVP even before the season started. The MVP award is basically awarding to the player with the best storyline. The media loves to have a good storyline. I think right now, Westbrook is the clear MVP winner unless something drastic happens.

I understand it is frustrating watching the MVP voters being hypocrites but its not much we can do about it. The MVP voters have also been pushing Westbrook to become MVP since the off season when Durant left. On top of that, Westbrook is averaging a triple double so there's no way the MVP voters are going to give it to anyone else, even Harden who's been a lot better. Honestly the two teams are pretty much evenly matched outside of Harden and Westbrook, but Harden makes his team look a lot better than they are.

Overall don't stress too much over this. It'll be great if Harden wins the MVP but it's not a big deal if he doesn't. I actually believe it is better if he doesn't win it so it can continue to motivate him and push him even harder. Westbrook already had a head start in the MVP race since the summer. The only reason why there is even a race is because of how great Harden is playing this year. But the MVP voters kind of already had their minds made up since the start of the season so let them crown Westbrook the MVP.

13. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Speak for yourself man.

There's only so many times you can go back to the well when rejected or snubbed. Its important that Harden gets the validation. How would you feel if you balled out of your mind two years and you got straight shafted twice to inferior players for the opposing reasons in the reversed roles. It gets to a point where the motivation isn't there because it feels like the world is against you. Deny it all you want.

He can win it this season and literally move on, I doubt he will give a **** about winning MVP again he just wants one. I guarantee you the moment he wins it his focus will 100% shift to winning the ring.

14. dwhite

dwhite Member

Look, I hate Westbrook as a person. He is a whiner, who has hundreds of cardboard cutouts of himself spread all throughout his house. Can you say ego!!! That aside, if the b*stard ends the season averaging a triple double then he deserves the MVP. Averaging a triple double and not getting the MVP would be a travesty and unconscionable.

15. joomba

joomba Member

This triple double thing is just an arbitrary line that people drew in the sand. Is averaging 10 rebounds and 10 assists that much better than 8 rebounds and 12 assists? says who? Are you aware that no player in NBA history has put up 28-8-12? not a single one. And Harden is on pace to achieve that, with better efficiency and team record than Westbrook's.

BTW, the year when Oscar Robertson averaged a triple double, he didn't win the MVP either.

slothy420 and frontline94 like this.
  16. frontline94

frontline94 Member

I think it has come down to simply to a player who "is more fun to watch." It is painfully clear the hypocrisy some of the MVP voters are willing to go through to make Westbrook their MVP i.e. he has a worse team vs. when Curry had a better team than Harden but that reasoning wasn't used. It sounds like Russ could come in at 6th and still win the MVP over a Harden 3rd seed placement. Pathetic.

17. Caesar

Caesar Member

Wrong. Tiny averaged 34ppg and 11.4apg. Oscar has also done it 5 times, including being right there from doing it another 2 more seasons.

No one has done 28 and 12.

Like these guys are trying to tell you. Westbrook only has rebounds on Harden. 2.4 more of uncontested rebounds pretty much.

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

media conspiracy

19. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

Oh and this idiot probably voted for Curry 2 years ago. Somehow #2 in the West wasn't good enough, now #5 in the West is OK. 2 other All stars wasn't a problem and 2 guys from lowly NO r all stars caliber. What were they doing BEFORE Harden!? Isn't that what MVP does to his team? Making teammates overachieve?

HardenTime and joomba like this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think folks in this thread realize it's January. JANUARY!! :rolleyes:

moral of the story is, stay calm.