1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden is gonna get screwed over again in MVP Voting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenTime, Jan 1, 2017.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You could if it was real.

The Media cover winning teams and point out flaws of losing ones.....they don't have a dog in the hunt.

DD

2. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Westbrook cant play like this all year...His talents isnt that great and is 100% depended on his physical. Once march, april comes, the man will be half dead or will be injured.

bloodwings19 and Stormy1234 like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, I would like him to win it too, but there are bigger goals on the table for this team - TEAM oriented ones...that are much more valuable than an individual award.

DD

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't worry. First of all, the reason Westbrook is putting up the crazy numbers is because his teammates are so bad - it makes it easier to do it when your usage is the highest in the league.

Second of all there is only a 4 game difference in loses between the Rockets and Thunder and the Thunder are the 5th seed to Houston's 3rd seed. As the season goes on the Thunder will flame out a bit and likely drop to 7th as the Grizz and Clips get fully healthy. No way a 7th seeded team gets the MVP unless there are no other compelling candidates on a elite team. If the Rockets win 60 games and Harden is consistent - he will get the MVP.

malakas and ramotadab like this.
  5. T for 3

T for 3 Member

i swear...im a huge harden fan...but if wb averages a triple double on the season...how do you not give it to him??

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

So basically you give him the MVP because he's averaging 2 more rebounds per game than Harden. Seems like a weird justification.

7. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Dem seasoned eye balls must be getting stale.

s3ts likes this.
  8. T for 3

T for 3 Member

thats a fair point...but at the end of the day it would be a ridiculous accomplishment. hopefully he falls of a bit so we wont have to worry about it.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

In before Westbrook drops a 60-20-20 game.

Westbrook is only averaging like two or three more rebounds per game then Harden, but Harden is only shooting 2-3 percent higher in his percentages...

Rockets are having a great season, but OKC is too, they can end up 4th seed easily.

Its too close to call, and there is no need to try to call it right now, we still have over half the season left.

10. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

I can guarantee you this is how many media pundits who vote Westbrook will spin this.

DudeWah likes this.
  11. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Sounds like media in general

slothy420 likes this.
  12. jayfree

jayfree Member

Agreed, in a normal year the best player on an elite teams wins the award. GS had 67 wins compared to Houston's 56. Even though Houston was the #2 seed that is still a large point differential. Also, the media probably thought Harden would certainly win it one day but who knows if Curry would ever get that chance again. Sometimes I figure that factors into it as well.

This time around, if the award was handed out now and the season was over with their current winning % adjusted for a whole season. Thunder would have about 50 wins while Rockets 61. By the same math as 2015 Harden should win it. Both Harden and Westbrook have lost a big time player on their team and replaced them with lesser "VALUED" players. Houston shouldn't be penalized for fitting the "right" pieces around Harden to make them and the team better.

Westbrook will have an opportunity again in the future to win MVP but if Harden doesn't win it this year at the above pace I mentioned then when will he ever win one. That is what the voters will take into consideration.

OKC will fall off as well as the year goes on and I don't feel they will reach 50 wins anyway. I personally wouldn't mind seeing him average a triple-double for the year and it would be icing on the cake for Harden to still win MVP.

s3ts likes this.
  13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I get that, but we can and should have both. It's like the Oscar award. Sure, it means nothing at all to everyone else but it means everything to the person that win it.

I'm just saying, he can and should get both. 30 years from now when we are talking about the greatest guards in basketball, people that may not have watched Harden will only judge him by his accomplishments. Fair or not if he never wins one it will hurt his legacy because people talking about his legacy won't have the context that we do when watching him, just like for Russel and Wilt. We know they were greats, but some of us don't really have the context of how dominant they were night in and night out...

Absolutely though the goal is always the championship, but I think this affects Harden. I want Harden to win it for himself so that he can go on for the rest of his career never having to worry about validating his eliteness and quite frankly at this point, his all-time greatness. It's like a monkey off the back thing for all great players.

Every great player I guarantee has two goals, win MVP and a ring.

Caesar, Cashmoney and DudeWah like this.
  14. T for 3

T for 3 Member

"spin" lol you don't have to spin that man. just be an unbiased observer for one second.

15. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

that is not a guarantee, if WB averages a triple double for the season they're gonna give it to him, Lets just say the media trying hard for WB to win it .

BootyHunter likes this.
  16. jayfree

jayfree Member

It does matter to Harden. Proof was the Clipper game when he came back in the 4th quarter blowout only to get 3 more assists for a triple-double. The Clipper announcers were wondering why he would do that and risk injury but Harden knows the more you are in the media with great performances the better chance at winning awards. Then he has a 53/16/17 game and as of right now that started to change the minds of some people out there. Keep in mind Houston is winning without a legit big in the middle.

MDA will win coach of the year no doubt about it. Gordon should win 6th man. Would be a nice sweep if Harden won MVP and at the rate he is on now he will. I wouldn't be surprised to see Harden have a few more 40-50 point games this year just to prove a point (or even a 20 assist game) It's coming.

17. s3ts

s3ts Member

Some ranked the Rockets as high as 1, and as low as 6 while we were on a 10 game winning streak, with the Warriors as one of the foes. That is as big an indication that they go by touchy feely eye test. When it comes to the Rockets, these people widely vary on their coverage of the team.

18. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

It's crazy how these media guys just flip on their projections without admitting they were wrong.

19. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Averaging a triple double is incredible. But it's been done a few times. Averaging 28 Pts and 12 assists a game? That's never been done. And add 8 boards on that? And a whole lot more win shares cause we're winning and the Thunder are struggling to get in the top teams conversation? Advantage Harden.

Handles likes this.
  20. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

This is something I don't think any media person who is ready to crown Westbrook as the MVP for averaging a triple double - has ever thought of

T for 3 likes this.