1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dak Prescott: [The Greatest Rookie QB Of All Time]

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by crash5179, Dec 30, 2016.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Here are the stats for every rookie QB that has started at least 8 games since 1970.

Completion Percentage:
    1. Dak Prescott 68.07%
    2. Ben Roethlisberger 66.44%
    3. Robert Griffin 65.65%
    4. Cody Kessler 65.64%
    5. Teddy Bridgewater 64.63%

Total Passing Yards
    1. Andrew Luck 4374
    2. Cam Newton 4051
    3. Jameis Winston 4042
    4. Peyton Manning 3739
    5. Dak Prescott 3630

Total TD Passes

1. Peyton Manning 26
    2. Russell Wilson 26
    3. Dak Prescott 23
    4. Andrew Luck 23
    5. Jim Kelly 22
    5T. Jameis Winston 22

Least Number of Interceptions
    1. Cody Kessler 2
    2. Dak Prescott 4
    3. Robert Griffin 5
    4. Charlie Batch 6
    5. Dan Marino 6

Quarterback Rating
    1. Dak Prescott 105.6
    2. Robert Griffin 102.4
    3. Russell Wilson 100.0
    4. Ben Roethlisberger 98.1
    5. Dan Marino 96.0

Yards Per Pass Attempt
    1. Ben Roethlisberger 8.88
    2. Robert Griffin 8.14
    3. Dak Prescott 8.05
    4. Russell Wilson 7.93
    5. Matt Ryan 7.93

Yards Per Game
    1. Andrew Luck 273.4
    2. Cam Newton 253.2
    3. Jameis Winston 252.6
    4. Dak Prescott 242.0
    5. Carson Wentz 235.8

Wins
    1. Dak Prescott 13
    2. Ben Roethlisberger 13
    3. Andrew Luck 11
    4. Matt Ryan 11
    5. Russell Wilson 11

He still has a game to go and he is already top 5 of all time in every single category and number 1 in 3 categories. No other QB has ever had this prolific of a rookie season. There is striking gold and then there is what the Cowboys got with Dak Prescott.

Teams sometimes find that diamond in the rough. New England got Tom Brady with 199th pick in the draft. But has any team ever had as many great QBs without using a high draft pick then Dallas?

Roger Staubach 129th pick (10th round)
    Danny White 53rd pick (3rd round)
    Tony Romo undrafted free agent
    Dak Prescott 135th pick (4th round)

Even Don Meredith was a 3rd round pick although that was the 32 pick that season. To the best of my knowledge, only Craig Morton and Troy Aikman were 1st round picks unless you also count Steve Walsh who was picked with a supplemental draft pick. Just amazing when you think about it.

HardenTime likes this.
  2. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

In before the dorks start basing his success entirely on the OL and Zeke.

I'm still in a wait and see mode w/ Dak, primarily because some QBs have come into this league and lit it up early... & then their careers went absolutely nowhere.Taking that in mind, there's something I've seen in this kid that is incredibly rare in rookie QBs; The kids' poise is palpable.

His accuracy is a little off at times, and the last Giants game shows he can still get confused when defenses switch up and you get pressure on him. Other than that, he has come back from doing stupid things, as rookies do, and played marvelously down the stretch. He makes quick reads, throws on the money most of the time, runs only when he absolutely has to, is a leader by all accounts, and doesn't make bad decisions if he can help it. During that Lions blowout he showed he can read and adjust to pro defenses pre-snap pretty well now too. That's gonna come in handy during his career. He's going to see a lot of looks.

It's astonishing he was picked after several other mediocre OBs. Only Wentz (2nd overall) looks like a similarly solid QB prospect from that last draft. I haven't seen enough from Lynch and Goff (who am I missing?) but I truly doubt it.

The win total this year starts w/ Zeke and that incredible O-line though. I've watched a lot of football over the years and I put Tyron Smith in the top 2 or 3 left tackles I've ever seen. Guy's that good. That forces Dak to beat you and he's shown he's plenty capable so far.

3. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

Do you mind adding their rushing tds i know rg3 had 7 and cam had 14

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He is good
    I think I am more surprised by how many times RGIII shows up in those list

Rocket River

5. crash5179

RGIII had a great rookie season. I was certain he was going to be a great player for many years. I think he got pretty full of himself and that coupled with injuries certainly played a part in his drop off.

6. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

4 picks in 15 games.... That's stupid good for 7 year vet game manager.... I would say yes. GOAT.

7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Outstanding season by Dak. Curious to see how coordinators adjust to him in year 2.

8. crash5179

What is really crazy is that he is throwing almost 6 TDs for every INT. That is off the charts crazy good.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

He's in the perfect situation for a QB. I hope he's just not a one year wonder. Certain redrafts have him going to the Rams and he wouldn't be good at all there

10. crash5179

I don't know if Dak would have been good on the Rams but I have no reason to think he would not be good. I think him and Tod Gurley sharing the same backfield would be lethal. Also, Dak doesn't care who he throws to as he regularly uses 6 or more receivers every game. You just rarely see Dak lock in on one receiver. I certainly don't think Dak would have the same success in LA as he is having in Dallas but if Dak can pick a team apart throwing to Bryce Butler, Cole Beasley and Terrence Williams like he had to do for three weeks when Dez was out, then I have confidence he could do it with LA's receivers as well.