1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] The OA

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

this dropped out of nowhere, came out today

2. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

I don't know. That trailer looks like it has the potential to be good. But it also looks like it could be a slog. I do need a new show now that Rectify's over so I'll give this one episode.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Don't waste your time. Reviews will bury this show.

A swing and a miss. There is a reason Netflix dropped it in out of nowhere.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I just watched the first episode and I don't even know what to say. Beyond weird.

I'll give episode 2 a chance sometime later this week, but the pilot didn't exactly have me anxious for it. Maybe it'll come together. We'll see.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This reminds me of a Netflix bugaboo I hate. Their star rankings. Can't they give a little more detail. How many reviews at least. Plus even the crappiest of stuff always has at least 2.5 stars.

The OA has 4.5 stars.
    So I have to check on RT. It's doing pretty solid there too... but at least you can see that's based on very few reviews thus far.

I will wait on this show until a better consensus is formed!

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Watched four episodes.

It's slow, but alright.

7. conquistador#11

Lol that is true. I was fulled into checking "a christmas horror story" santa vs zombie elves sounds good on paper..

8. val_modus

val_modus Member

First episode was extremely slow. Kinda had an HBO's Leftovers vibe to it. Take that for what it's worth.

9. nono

nono Member

Cancelled Netflix because it was a waste of money.

DudeWah likes this.
  10. val_modus

val_modus Member

I'm 3 episodes in and it's a rather pleasant surprise so far. Like I mentioned, it does have some of the same vibes as The Leftovers, but it actually answers questions instead of leaving the supernatural aspect of the world so open ended.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

We finished it last night.

It had a tense climax, but some of it can be downright silly. Once they start doing "the movements" I did some eye rolls.

Hope it isn't cancelled, because they leave alot of open questions.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Baby boomer?

Nook likes this.
  13. nono

nono Member

No. I want to watch what I want when I want. I can't do that with Netflix. Paying for Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO, League Pass, Cable, and it was all becoming just a bit too much. Whenever I wanted to watch a show it wasn't on Netflix, and Netflix's own original programming doesn't really appeal that much to me. I just thought I was paying way too much for entertainment in general and watching too little of it. Netflix was the first thing I cut. I'd cut cable as well but I can't watch Premier League Soccer without it.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I have the opposite view. Enough of Netflix original programming appeals to me that it's a great value. If it weren't for my wife and son, I'd cut cable and just ride Netflix and the internet.

nono likes this.
  15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Same, no cable for me. For EPL I just run to the bar across the street.

16. nono

nono Member

This is a really good idea. It's funny how things have changed with so many people cutting the cord. ESPN keeps losing a massive amount of viewers every month with cord cutting. In fact, that was one of my motivations for cutting cable because I never watched ESPN at all and did not want to pay $5 every month to them.

17. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Liked the feel of the show. Great performances and great story. But just too much sloppy writing imo. Haps character was great!

18. likestohypeguy

Hey isn't that the girl from the two movies, one where she infiltrates a radical environmental group, and the other she's a cult leader? Or just looks very similar to her?

And did I see Hershel from The Walking Dead?

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Worst ending I have seen in any show (worse than Lost). I can see why Netflix didn't promote it.

moonsh0t likes this.
  20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Exactly!

I avoided mentioning the ending earlier so others could watch the show without being influenced, but this is the bottom line.

Don't waste your time. The weird journey is not worth the sorry payoff.