1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chargers stadium vote fails, opens door for move to Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Nov 9, 2016.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Art Modell was forced to leave Browns history behind. Agreed that Baltimore had no feelings about the Browns but geography had something to do with that. The Chargers have a regional fan base that could be disappointed in the news. Considering how apatheic SoCal natives are about sports in general, the franchise might need to hang on to everyone they can. I think it could be hard for them to fill the stadium in Inglewood as the secondary franchise there.

I hope they do change the name just to see what happens. (I also hope to visit the stadium complex after completion).

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Watching an NFL franchise sputter when attempting to wring money out of a city is always beautiful.

It's nice to see America finally hit its saturation point for buying expensive toys for billionaires.

Nobody cares about the Chargers. They will flounder in LA, and Spanos deserves every bit of it.

da_juice, mtbrays and MadMax like this.
  3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

In that scenario, the Cowboys would lose far more than the Texans. San Antonio is almost exclusively Cowboy Country. In fact, if Bob McNair had a little more hair on his nuts, he might push extra hard for a San Antonio franchise just to stick it to the Glitter Gals.

Ok, I understand that NFL owners have an understanding to not undercut each other, and eventually pissing off one of the most prominent, influential owners in the league will have bad ramifications. Really, I just felt like talking **** about Bob McNair.

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I don't think people who follow and like the chargers will be much less likely to continue to follow them if they change their name and lose retired numbers. Philip Rivers is coming with the team.

LA needs 2 teams in order to support the expense of a giant privately funded stadium. There are also 13 million people that live in the L.A. metroplex. It doesn't take a huge percentage to get you the season tickets and TV views that you get out of other NFL cities. It might be hard for the TV schedule to make sure they are always playing on different timeslots.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well the bigger thing is all he other owners. Who should be all for a San Antonio team. Granted a second LA team probably is equally good for the league, but a third Texas team makes a ton of sense for the health of the NFL generally. Especially considering San Antonio is ... like Houston, Dallas, strong Hispanic populations. (La has this too though).

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It doesn't, but they don't have a stadium, it's easier to lease the one with the Rams.

I don't know, if they rebrand and are good, they'll have more attendance than the Rams.

7. Brando2101

I don't think San Antonio would publicly fund another stadium. You're seeing a recent trend of smaller but growing cities who haven't had to make the same kind of public investments fitting the bill. The city that I could see wanting to make that kind of investment is San Marcos but it's not super close to San Antonio. New Branfels has a freaking highway running to Schlitterbahn with open land once you go down it a little bit so a stadium around there would make sense but they city seems to be to small to be able to fund a stadium.

COTA in Austin would be a really great location but Austin can't support a pro team.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I am in no way supportive of a team in central TX...but if you're going to do it, the vast empty land between New Braunfels and San Marcos makes perfect sense. You're smack in between 2 emerging cities with a total population in the millions. Getting there isn't terrible either. Their major problem would be converting the cowboy fans...but being an AFC team would make that easier.

9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Texas State who moved up to FBS would throw a fit if a NFL team moved into their backyard. They are already facing an uphill battle with UT.

While I don't think it would ever happen, Texas is as deserving as Florida, New York, or California to have more than 2 teams. Central Texas would be a better market than Jacksonville, Buffalo, or San Diego.

#49 Smokey, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I agree 100%.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Didn't Phillip Rivers threaten retirement if the Chargers move? Especially to LA?

12. tinman

Supporting Member

13. Brando2101

Now we'll see if the Raiders file a request to move to Las Vegas. I'm guessing they would play at UNLV stadium even though the capacity is 35,000. That would probably be better than lame duck seasons in Oakland. The Oilers last season was like a ghost town.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

It said they will still play in Oakland because they still have a lease.

Oakland will just have the As since the Warriors will move to San Fran. http://www.chasecenter.com/

#54 tinman, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Goodell needs to stop being greedy and try to preserve tradition. The Rams spent 20 years in STL, in a way, it made some sense for them to return to LA, where most of their history is. The Chargers though have spent 55 years in San Diego, they are a San Diego franchise through and through.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

San Diego is not that far from LA. Its probably less than a hour with no traffic.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

From Qualcomm to Inglewood it's 2 and a half hours with light traffic.

To put it in perspective, it's about the same distance as Round Rock to Dallas.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

SD doesn't care about losing a team, LA doesn't care about gaining a team. But the NFL makes a zillion dollars and all it is is 2.7hrs of commercials per game. What a world.

20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've seen that they're going to play in the StubHub Center in Carson while the new stadium is being built. That's the Galaxy's MLS stadium, which has a capacity of 27,000. It'll be really interesting to see football played in such an "intimate" environment. But will they even draw that many fans?