1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dallas Keuchel played hurt all of last season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Commodore, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

This sounds familiar. Isn't this how JJ Watt's season started?

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

This could be extremely good news or extremely bad news, can't really say right now.

4. Newlin

Newlin Member

Fixed? He's been fixed?

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i only see it as great. that is my choice :)

texans1095 likes this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed.

He showed enough glimmers last year to suggest he may possibly still have "it".

Then again, this injury (regardless of when it actually happened) is an overuse type of injury... and given the heavy workloads he's endured, it's possible this could also be the beginning of the end.

7. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Figured he had been hurt

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

As long as it's fixed, I think it's great news. The uncertainty surrounding his drop-off is far and away the biggest question mark facing this team. If they can narrow last year down to an unreported injury... that makes me feel much more confident that he can bounce back.

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Yea...it's always great when a player stinks all year long and then it comes out months after-the-fact that he was injured.

I'm not necessarily buying that's why he sucked all season long. I'll admit it may have been a factor but how much of a factor is anyone's guess.

Players who hide injuries like this only hurt the team. I hate when players do this.

DudeWah likes this.
  10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I'm going to buy it.

He lost 2 mph off his fastball while in his prime. His motion is flawless, so it was unlikely to be a mechanical issue. He was hurt.

Hopefully he's healthy now and regains his form because there were days he felt good.

Being a former college pitcher, I dealt with chronic rotator cuff issues.

Pre rotator cuff I sat 93-95mph in high school.

While going through inflammation issues I sat 88-90 and eventually tore it.

Inflammation typically will slow your arm down considerably. It's just hard to believe that a guy like Keuchel would drop so significantly without an arm injury I would deem significant.

Houstunna and kaleidosky like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Pitchers are notorious for doing this, because pitchers are headcases.

I hate it too. It was obvious he was hurt last year.

msn and FranchiseBlade like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Baseball players are often irrational, so I would not be surprised if he hid his injury.

The type of injury he is claiming can certainly explain his initial drop in velocity and command issues. The velocity returned somewhat but the command didn't.

I know a number of scouts out of the block last year said something was wrong and he should have been shutdown.

13. Deuce9289

Deuce9289 New Member

Hitting 95 in high school, you had to be a top prospect for draft, what year did you graduate?

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's not exclusively a workload injury. Could have had an acute reason. In any case, it's also an injury that can be solved by rest, which he's gotten. I think he'll be fine and much closer to 2015 than 2016 next season., I also think and hope he'll be smarter about it should he feel something again. Had he dealt with it early on, it wouldn't have been much more than a few weeks off and he could've been there to help the late season push.

15. Buck Turgidson

There was a thread on May 23 of last year where several of us non-scouts said as much. I said it was maybe his back because I thought his delivery looked stiffer than usual.

16. T-Perro

T-Perro Member

Exactly. I remember when Wagner did that ****.

17. tmacfor35

What I will note on Keuchels( his mechanics are really good but he has one flaw)delivery is that his arm is a little late during the throwing motion.

It's a gift and a curse to have as a pitcher.

It throws off hitters and exaggerates two seam motion.

The issue with that is the rotator cuff will inflame. I can almost guarantee that's what he hurt this year.

From personal experience the pain is actually felt in the bicep(it's nerve correlation) and is extremely painful. He's going to have to work the shoulder bands intensely moving forward or fix his motion. That may risk his movement going forward and make him less effective in the future.

Just something to note gentleman. I've been apart of the same song and dance.

18. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I had a feeling this was the case. Even without the injury, his advanced stats weren't that bad, and painted a clear picture of bounce-back next year. I doubt Keuchel gets back to a sub-3 ERA, but there's no reason he can't be a low 3 ERA pitcher. I think our starting rotation is still better than a lot of people realize.

19. tmacfor35

Prediction:

He will have a different throwing motion next year.

20. cdain3

cdain3 Member

His name is Sidd Finch.

Grydian, Fyreball and desihooper like this.