1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon vs Klay Thompson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Wylo, Dec 11, 2016.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Congrats to Eric Gordon on being the best two way shooting guard in the league.

Pen15clubber and J Sizzle like this.
  2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

And Gordon is coming off the bench where he is often the focal point of the other's teams plans (they plan to stop him as he is the #1 option when Harden sits). He has to often create for himself

Klay is often 3rd/4th option on offense and teams often have their best defenders guarding Curry, Durant and maybe Green. Klay can just come off screens and benefits hugely playing off Curry and Durant.

DonKnock, Mazulis, Dgn1 and 1 other person like this.
  3. ricardo1979

ricardo1979 Member

Unlike Klay, Gordon has the ability to put the ball on the floor and create for himself and others. I can see why Morey wanted this guy for so many years.He is like a mini version of Harden with a better 3 point shot and a slightly inferior playmaking game.

Pen15clubber and Chamillionaire like this.
  4. Chamillionaire

Couldn't have asked for more. He's perfect in this system and one if the best if not the best FA signing by Morey. He's elevated our bench to one of the best in the league.

I don't see the point in comparing Klay with EGo. Klay plays on a rival team we're trying to beat. Let's give credit to EGo and hope he keeps up his great play.

DonKnock and heypartner like this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I guess Gordon's better than Harden, too! Shoutout to Morey for the amazing signing.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

All dead, all dead, all dead.

It never meant to have 30 or 40 pages, cannot remember. But you, gentlemen have your fun with it.

Technically Klay aint wrong saying he is the best or 2nd best Shooting Guard, which refers to just 'shooting'.

We know now Harden is not a shooting guard per se any longer, he is 'Combo guard', a PG even.

#26 daywalker02, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    DonKnock likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Klay Thompson is a tad different, by that, I mean he is inconsistent but he is the better scorer here.

When did Gordon erupt for 60 ever?

But Klay Thompson might not average 3 treys a game but he is still young enough.

8. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Gordon has been too good! I just hope the guy can stay healthy. I also am anticipating a cool down soon, he's been unreal.

DonKnock likes this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Good first point.

But, wow, on the second. That's quite a turn. Everyone has always used the opposite theory, that Klay benefits from the GSW system, and would not put up those numbers and get those open looks on other teams.

How times have changed. (not that I disagree with you. btw: wouldn't say Gordon is anymore wide open than Klay is.)

10. Dmo for 3mo

Dmo for 3mo Member

Eric Gordon is a very good player and definitely underrated mainly due to his injury history. With that said I would take Klay Thompson over him. No shame in being a slightly lesser player than Klay

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Klay would be ridiculous on our team.

12. joomba

joomba Member

Klay's already playing for the Warriors. That's almost as good as it gets for his play style.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  13. Wylo

Wylo Member

Is EGO the best 3-point shooter in the league right now?

Curry : 94 threes made on 39.5%
    Gordon : 90 threes made on 43.9%
    Klay : 74 threes made on 37.8%

All played 25 games each

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I think this is sustainable. When you give a pure shooter like Ego wide open threes, bad things happen for the opposing team. For a guy that's as deadly a shooter as he is, you would think that teams would defend him better at the line. Then again, Bev has been great as the PG when Harden sits. I've been really surprised at his playmaking this season.

DonKnock and snowconeman22 like this.
  15. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

He's shooting better then Durant, too.

16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You can call bs but it makes sense. He scored 60 points in three quarters / 29 minutes earlier this year. Barely ever touching the ball if I remember correctly.. his team just set him up.

And of course the 37 point quarter a couple years back.

When he gets hot, on the team and system he's on, he can score in bunches.

18. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Not worried about facing the GSW in the playoffs. To be the best, you have to play and beat the best. I believe the Rockets have the talent to beat the Warriors. Whether the Rockets have the resolve to do it remains to be seen.

If Klay goes off ala 60 or 37 in a quarter, I'll say it'll likely be for a given game during a 7-game series. That would be the game that Rockets or no team for that matter would be winning no matter what. Things just happen. If the Warriors play to their "normal" potential compared to the Rockets' "normal potential", Rockets can take them. Rockets can outbomb them because although KD, Klay and Steph are historical shooters/scorers, it's still only 3 of them against the Rockets 5, 6, 7 deep threats. Numbers are a factor as well. Kinda like diversification within an investment portfolio, the "don't put all your eggs in one basket".

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

while that is somewhat true, it's very much worth noting that makeup of the "still only 3 of them" are mvps, all stars, and all nba players which accounts for a ton

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

While I appreciate the optimism glasses, this post completely ignores reality... which is that Warriors, playing their "normal potential", have been a better team than the Rockets... with Durant unquestionably, without Durant probably still, and exactly because of Draymond Green and their team defense.

If you take Green off the Warriors and put him on the Rockets, the Rockets might be the favorites.

BigMaloe and alethios like this.