1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros interested in Quintana

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Shark44, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure, he will probably be called up then.

But could take another 6 months to a year to be a major contributor/vital component (presuming he adjusts to MLB pitching), hence the 2 year estimate.

Likewise, don't think anybody was expecting Bregman to be counted on as an everyday player for 2016 going into last year... and he ascended at an extremely rapid/unlikely to be the norm case.

Certainly, as you know, I'm all for rapid promotion of the "special" ones... its just way too unlikely to presume all of them adjust to MLB pitching rapidly enough after their first call-up to be counted on as a major force.

#101 Nick, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You know what else happens "all the time" - and with far greater frequency? Prospects bust.

If we're lucky, Martes will one day be as good as Quintana - so why not eliminate the uncertainty? Because of Zack Grienke? I guess the Texans should never draft a QB in the first round again; I mean look how many bust.

No Worries likes this.
  3. cardpire

cardpire Member

You named the team that may actually believe in that philosophy.

Yaosthirdleg and texans1095 like this.
  4. awc713

awc713 Member

Peter Gammons (on twitter):

When Astros askewd on Jose Quintana, Chisox asked 3 names:Francis Martes, Kyle Tucker, Joe Musgrove

Zacatecas, No Worries and Rileydog like this.
  5. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

There must be a way to get them off musgrove. He is a member of the rotation this year. If we can overcome that, then it's a deal.

vince and mikol13 like this.
  6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I sure hope they meant 2 of the 3 names.

Martes or Musgrove, not both. Tucker I'm fine with. Have to talk them down to a different 3rd name.

7. Rileydog

And finally, some actual Quintana news in the Quintana thread.

Zacatecas, Bear_Bryant and awc713 like this.
  8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No, thanks, to dealing both Martes AND Tucker.

vince, IowaAstro and raining threes like this.
  9. awc713

awc713 Member

Gammons reported price makes the Martes/Cameron/Reed posts that much more delusional. Keep thinking we're landing Quintana for Martes Fisher and fillers, keep dreaming.

Zacatecas likes this.
  10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Doubt there is any way we can make a competitive offer that doesn't involve those 2, because the drop of to any 3rd name is pretty big now that Reed had a brief MLB struggle. Fisher, Whitley, Perez, Paulino aren't gonna move the meter enough.

Quintana is a proven, team controlled, front end pitcher, they aren't coming off that cheap. Martes and Tucker would hurt bad, but i would do it. Bird in the hand, time to win now.

No Worries and mikol13 like this.
  11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Exactly what I was thinking. That said, I might be willing to take out Tucker and add Musgrove.

12. raining threes

I would counter with Martes/Paulino/Cameron/Reed.

All top 10 guys.

13. awc713

awc713 Member

"Top 10" is not only relative but also irrelevant. Reed and Cameron have shown very real concerns and struggles, regardless where they rank in our system. You can certainly counter with that offer, but CWS is hanging up quickly.

14. awc713

awc713 Member

15. Nook

Nook Member

Those offers are too lean, but if you believe the Gammons intel it shows the value of Tucker and Martes is pretty damn high.... which is why I really don't like top 100 lists, they are always outdated and in most cases are arbitrary.

Zacatecas likes this.
  16. raining threes

We shall see,

But I would wait until the trade deadline if Martes/Tucker were involved.

This also mitigates against injury

#116 raining threes, Dec 10, 2016
  17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Reading between the lines on Luhnow's interview, Tucker is the untouchable one. He has the highest floor btw him and Martes, and our outfield is set up for him to take a starting position by 2018.

I would counter with Martes Musgrove and Fisher. That's about as good a deal as I'd offer.

#117 Spacemoth, Dec 10, 2016
    Zacatecas and mikol13 like this.
  18. Rileydog

Zacatecas and mikol13 like this.
  19. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

It has to be one of Musgrove or Martes not both and I'm sure the Astros feel the same way so that might be the hang up . Perfectly fine with trading Tucker.

Also if it make it easier I think the stros should look into James shields. Not sure how long that contract is or the money but I just think he is better option over most at either the fourth or fifth spot. Maybe they pay some of that salary to

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I don't think you want to give up Martes and Musgrove. Are Tucker and Martes our top 2 prospects? I think those 2 alone should do it.