1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros interested in Quintana

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Shark44, Dec 8, 2016.

1. right1

right1 Member

And we're all trying to win the same race, the pennant race. I think the "17th best pitcher in baseball" can help the Astros do just that. That would make Quintana the #1 starter on half the teams in the league and a helluva #2 on the other half. Doesn't seem like "just another pitcher"

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Based on the tone of your posts, your attempts at bringing levity into this thread rival your attempts at becoming an MLB scout. If you truly are just trying to joke around, my advice would be to go back and brush up on some of the jokes that actually ARE being used instead of bristling at all of them. Oh, and stop accusing everybody of being racist. It makes you look racist.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  3. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

So yall have just been dicking around with this one poster? I thought something had happened!!! Come on Clutchfans!

4. Fantasma Negro

[​IMG]
    Slow work day, and these guys got me through it:)

BigMaloe likes this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You might get cangrejero'd

6. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Does anyone have a site they use to look up stats over multiple seasons? For example, I would like to see Quintana's FIP over the past three seasons in comparison to the rest of the AL. Any suggestions?

7. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I'm afraid to ask...but what happened to that dude? Will he be back for the baseball season or did he get banned.... he made me hate talking Astros baseball

8. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Fangraphs does this
    Go to leaders, pitching and then change the year range. Click on the FIP column header to arrange by FIP.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He was in on the Crawfish Boxes game threads. Seemed much more subdued.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He started to post here under a different name... before he started doing the same stuff and went away again.

11. codell

codell Contributing Member

What about Cameron Tucker?

[​IMG]

12. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

He can chase down a fly ball faster than a pie on grandmama's window sill.

codell likes this.
  13. codell

codell Contributing Member

Gold

boozle222 likes this.
  14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The players who are traded and struggle weren't good because they were good but Quintana is good because he's good. Damn... that was... good. You even threw in one of those awesome forget how to play cliches. Keep those gems coming. That level of production doesn't have to be a byproduct of intangibles, only 10% of that level hasto be intangibles to make it a problem. Players that leave teams/coaching staffs struggle all the time and it's usually pitchers who rely on pitching rather than electric stuff. And the trade isnt six years of Martes fir four years of Quintana at $40+ mil. It's six years of Martes and probably Tucker and soneone like Franklin Perez. If every prospect trade were a no brainer then every team would trade their best prospects.

#94 CometsWin, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Teams in a position to win routinely trade their better prospects. Certainly they hang on to their favorites.. and certainly they don't trade the ones that are no-brainers unless you're getting that once-in-a-decade type player.

The Astros are certainly at a stage where they need sure things playing now... especially in the starting rotation.

16. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Can't see the Astros getting Quintana for that haul. They'd need to give up Martes and Tucker at the very least. The White Sox can easily keep Quintana and trade him at the trade deadline (and possibly get more at that time). Yes, they would be risking a potential injury and/or decreased value due to bad pitching, but I think they'd take their chances especially given Quintana's age, value of contract, and team control. It seems as though their GM/FO finally understand how to get the most out of trading their assets.

17. Buck Turgidson

Of course not. Lots of people have lots of differing opinions. We, and I'm going to speak out of turn and use the Royal "We", we tend to like opinions to not be completely full of ****. Partial **** is tolerable, acceptable, most of the time laughable.

Everyone is wrong sometime, you're just so adamantly rightous in your wrongness that there's no choice but to mock you.

#97 Buck Turgidson, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    vince, codell and msn like this.
  18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Trading prospects is a no-brainer unless the prospect is a no-brainer. Can you tell me which prospects in the minors currently are no-brainers?

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

According to the front office, they're bullish on Tucker.

I wouldn't have considered him untouchable, as he's probably still about 2 years away from being in a position to be a major contributor.
    And in previous years, it would have been Bregman and Correa.

I would say absolutely anybody else is tradeable. And if Tucker is literally the deal-breaker, I would probably end up moving him if it would bring back legit/proven starting pitching.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

2 years? Tucker is likely called up to be starting in the Astros OF sometime in 2018 (one year to year and half). Bregman and Correa were in the majors half into the season after they dominated A+. Tucker, in limited ABs, dominated A+ last year, but is about 200 ABs behind Correa (1/3 of a season) and 100 behind Bregman (1/6 of a season). If he continues on the pace of the most recent Astros first round position players, he has an outside chance at starting in the OF for the Astros in the 2017 playoffs (best case). 2 years to the Astros would be a bad outcome as it would mean he struggled more than expected in AA/AAA.