1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon The second Playmaker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Gordon is a decent "combo" guard, but best as a regular shooting guard with another ballhandler-passer next to him. He's not the facilitator-playmaker handing out assists and running the offense. He CAN create shots as a primary scorer, but he can be deadly driving in the lane and spotting up off-ball when another player can get focus.

Right now is role is just right as a bench sparkplug with staggered minutes with Harden and Bev. Don't mind him starting, but its important to have him play a full season and attack 2nd unit players (I know his injuries are all flukes and non recurring but still)

2. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

I've been really pleasantly surprised with Eric Gordon and just now saw this thread after tonight's game. I had followed him some throughout his career and always thought him, at his best, to be a borderline all-star contender from the combo guard position, if not for injuries. Having observed him come back from those injuries he looked like just a good/great spot up shooter with one or two ways to free up his shot off the dribble. Watching him last year, I remember him trying to do crafty dribbles but not being very successful and being relegated to just that spot up shooter. And when we signed him, I thought that's all he would be: a good spot up shooter next to harden's playmaking. But seeing him so far this season, I've been blown away not only by his shooting (he's even shooting better than I thought he would and in timely situations), but also by his dribble moves, which lead to his playmaking. I had no idea we were getting a guy that could create off the dribble with hesitation, dish to teammates, create a shot out of nothing with a variety of quick driving layups and floaters against pretty good one-on-one defenders (him scoring on both durant and curry tonight using a between-the-leg-stepback move was very impressive), has been far more than I expected when we signed him. And as far as this season goes, he's looked like the best pick up for us.

I only hope that we can only slightly give him more room to do this to ease Harden's load for future success. Just a tad. What's great is he's flexible as a player and can pick his moments to create, which is needed when playing with Harden. Good job Eric Gordon. I never would have imagined you'd be this efficient, savvy and QUICK at times. Goes to show all the hard work you must've put in all these years.

#102 HewbieTrippin, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    FANfrom86toNow, DonKnock and crenshaw like this.
  3. crenshaw

crenshaw Member

I loved when he took draygoon to the hoop one-on-one in the first half. Ballsy!

Pen15clubber and DonKnock like this.
  4. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

He had as much points as the the entire bench of Golden State. That is a great look and hopefully as the season goes by he continues being the difference maker.

5. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

seriously man, though I don't like to admit it, draymond's been shutting down a lot of pretty good guards on their drives ... which makes gordon's quick take to the left even more impressive.

DonKnock likes this.
  6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

It always gives me butterflies in my stomach when he goes to some of his dribble moves and the ball is so far out from his body. He rarely gets ripped on them though so it must either be camera angles or the length of the moves are deceptive enough that the defender can't react to it.

Other than that, have loved his entire game. Amazing signing. I still think he isn't in peak fitness due to all the time he's had off from injuries. But he seems to be getting closer and closer by the week

Drogba and ricardo1979 like this.
  7. ricardo1979

ricardo1979 Member

Gordon has been unreal in the last 4 games.

14 pts 5-13 shooting 4-12 from the 3pt line
    26 pts 9-15 shooting 6-9 3pt
    24 pts 8-17 shooting 4-9 3pt
    23 pts 9-19 shooting 4-9 3pt

Blazing hot

8. hakeemthagreat

I think more credit has to go to Morey for getting Gordon and Anderson. These guys are the PERFECT guys next to Harden. I like when Harden goes to the bench he has another guy we can count on to aggressively attack

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  9. joomba

joomba Member

sixth man of the year

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He would do well to fully embrace the sixth man role mentally, as he seems to have done. He strikes me as the perfect Jamal Crawford type 6th man, who could be very valuable in that role for the next decade. He;s 28, has injury history already. He can come off the bench the next 5 years and still get 30 mpg, and then over the next 5 years ratchet down a bit in minutes and production, but already be accustomed to that bench role.

He's obviously been a great surprise. I mean I knew he had talent, but I've nonetheless been impressed. On point 3, solid drives, solid handles, hustles. Just got to stay healthy.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Even though I've followed this guy I'm still getting kind of surprised how deceptively quick EG is now that we get to see him on a nightly basis. It may be a little out of control from time to time but he gets by guys at a pretty solid rate.

12. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

i didn't forget that, i knew we were getting a steal when we signed him

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Another promising thing is that this isn't just Gordon on a hot streak. His season stats align pretty much with what he's done his entire career from the Clippers to the Hornets. The only difference is a few % point lower on his shooting and the free throw attempts are lower when compared to his days in LA. I'm sure the fear of getting injured again plays a big part into why he doesn't get to the line more often but hey, I'm gonna ride this Gordon Thrill Ride until it stops.

Rodman23 likes this.
  14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Eric Gordon has a very Westbrook esque burst to him off the dribble. He is the quickest Rocket we have had in a while.

He may just need to find his footing in the NBA as he stays healthy for an extended period of time. He's starting to put some good games together consistently.

DonKnock likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

his workload and stress on the body is so much less now compared to previous years and same goes for Ryno. That's why I pegged them as staying fairly healthy for the majority of the year despite their health issues we all have seen, especially being on a team they enjoy being a part of

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

My vote goes to Eric Gordon for 6th man of the year and Clint Capela for Most Improved Player making many obsolete

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Gordon has always been a great scorer. Injuries were his problems

18. theteam

theteam Member

Did any of yall feel like you wanted to see Harden give Gordon an opportunity to run an ISO once or twice in OT? I love that we won (best victory of the young season) but the Harden ISO, while a good play, could be over used in the stretch.

DonKnock likes this.
  19. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I still want him to start. I know, he won't, so I will stop saying it. MDA is set. I still want Bev's minutes down to 14 to 18 and Gordon's over 34..

20. joomba

joomba Member

Gordon should definitely play close to 35 minutes. We don't have the luxury to spare him, and Bev should play around 20 min.