1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Giannis Antetokounmpo the future best player in the NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheRealist137, Nov 26, 2016.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This guy is only 21. If he played for a big market team like the Knicks or Lakers he would have already been hailed as the second coming.

Defense

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

careful, Harden fans may blow up your car. I'd watch my step

Easy likes this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

no, because his name isn't long enough

4. malakas

malakas Member

ONLY if he learns to shoot.
    I have fought with the other Bucks fans because I'm still holding on calling him a star still until I see consistency at least until the ASW. He's top 25 right now though no doubt.
    From the first 14 games in the season he hasn't shown up in 2 so far. No coincidence against the teams with two of the most elite rim protectors. Bogut and Whiteside. If he shows up in 75% of the games then I will call him a star too. But when the expectations are high the standards are more strict.
    The team and he, decided not to work on his shooting this summer but focus on playmaking. If he doesn't learn to shoot then he will cap out as top 5 imo. If he learns to shoot at even 35% then he will be up there in the MVP conversation immediately.

Something that you don't know is that for the last 4 games he has been playing point Center for about half a quarter and he's been doing great.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

LeBron became the best player in the NBA and never learned to shoot.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Doubtful.

Any candidate for best player in the NBA has to be able to dominate a game offensively. Team should know exactly when and where you are getting the ball, and still have to move heaven and earth to stop you from killing them. It's the reason KG was never the best player in the league despite being a god in most aspects, you simply couldn't run an offense through him late. While the freak has gotten much better this year, he still isn't close to that level offensively. And yes he is still young, but to just assume an offensive skill set of that magnitude will develop in time is doing a monumental undersell of just how hard those skills are to develop.

Houston22 likes this.
  7. malakas

malakas Member

Giannis is not as good as Lebron and also Lebron never learning to shoot is still miles better from Giannis current shot. He's shooting right now around 16% on 3s on 2 3pa per game.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  8. malakas

malakas Member

He can dominate games already for stretches. And everyone knows what he's going to do and they can't stop him from driving.
    I think that some here think that his skill set on offence is just running transition and cuts for dunks? Nope. He has already an elite eurostep, drive, spin moves and a good hook. What he needs is a better midranger and at least a league average 3pnt shot. His post game is fine already.

9. vick

vick Member

10. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

No. Give me Gianna Nicole.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Depends on the advanced stats

How many 3's does he jack up a game? What's his TS%, Assist %, Rebound %? Does he have to carry the team all by himself ? If not, he is disqualified

Lawlruschang likes this.
  12. Exiled

Exiled Member

maybe in the right system under a real coach

13. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

34% from 3 in his career, shooting 36% since his first year in Miami from 3. Not too shabby

MorningZippo and Lawlruschang like this.
  14. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I like the Greek freak and he's going to be a top 10 player once Lebron cp3 and a few others fade.

But jumping into that top 5 is so hard.

Personally I just don't see him becoming that 27-30ppg scorer that imo all the top 5 guys are.

But he'll prob be the best 2nd option any top 5 guy could play with. Like if Giannis was the rockets second best player I would feel reall confident about winning a chip within the next 5 years.

He's already a top 15 player imo.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

@malakas right now:

[​IMG]

Hahaha good game, great shot. This guy is seriously a beast.

don grahamleone and malakas like this.
  16. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

The guy just single handedly killed my Knicks, terminator style.

Breakaway dunk from the free throw line, spectacular block on Rose then two free throws.

Then a turnaround game winner after going 1/2 from the line off a spectacular spin move drawing a foul.

Oh and he was all over Rose leading to a Knick turnover on the inbounds. I think he fouled Rose but he didn't get the superstar call.

I think he can be the top guy in the NBA in the near future.

17. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

He's a stud he's already a top 10 player the sky is the limit.

If he ever learns to shoot the three ball even 33% with all his other gifts he'll be top 5 easy and if he can get it to 38%+ he'll be the best player in the world.

He's still learning and he's still young so while he's not going to pass up Lebron KD harden in the rankings anytime soon he doesn't have too. By the time he turns 27 the only guy who might be still be playing at his current level is harden and still I doubt he's better than Giannis at 32.

But I do think he can pass up Westbrook Leonard and curry over the next 3 years. He's special and this best thing is he's winning and actually impacts winning. Those are special players. He's not doing what jimmy butler cousins and even the great Anthony Davis are doing which is a lot of Losing.

This guy is 21 and has his team playing better than those guys with tbh not the best roster. It's not terrible but it's not great either.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's funny you say that, I'm watching Butler single handedly bury Lebron's Cavs.

19. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

He's not top 10 yet.. Guys stop it! He's good as hell but not a superstar by any means..

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

He's a paul george, hayward player to me. Good, not great. A few AS appearances. Excellent 2nd banana- maybe can win a ring if he's surronded by a lot of other 2nd bananas (a la Pistons).