1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Disney Cinema] Beauty and the Beast

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Snow Villiers, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

2. 713

713 Member

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Was my first Disney movie..... long time ago

Emma Watson....

would have loved a tad different story

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Gaston doesn't look near big enough to give Beast a fight.

But my big takeaway from this trailer is classic Disney movie remake + former Harry Potter cast member = my wife will make me see this

Yaosthirdleg and durvasa like this.
  5. nono

nono Member

blacked is a better rendition of beauty and beast than this

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Why, just, why???

7. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Yeah Gaston is scrawny. If anything needs CGI its that dude

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I loved the original. Don't know if I'll see this one in the theater. The reviews would have to be killer; my wife isn't into "chick flicks", which is usually great for me, but I might be more amenable to something like "Beauty and the Beast".

Need to see Hermione in more rated-R fare, though (if she'll indulge me).

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Emma Watson... sold.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  10. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't even get the morale lesson of Beauty and Beast, it's flawed, as the Prince never himself was forced to see inner beauty, in fact he tricks, buys, and cries his way to a hottie. While beauty might have followed the morale path, we don't really know because she was indeed from meager means and treated lavishly throughout the story, and might well be a gold digger in the end. but in spite of her inner compass, which may in fact be fine, it's the beast that bothers me. He never has to make a choice. He only ever sees her as beautiful. Because of the curse he has motive to get just about any woman to marry him, and he still goes for the hottie. If anything, this story basically reinforces the idea that the prince should always seek the hottie over the ugly, because both the hottie and the ugly will have inner beauty, so you minus well go after the hottie and get the best of both worlds.

It almost seems like the story would have solid ground if the beast had lost all his money and if beauty had actually come from money ( eliminating the gold digger aspect completely ). And too I think you need to make her ugly or at least depressed to force him to see inner beauty and make a change.

#10 PhiSlammaJamma, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  11. mrm32

mrm32 Member

It only works if it's true love bruh. You're reading way too much into a kids tale.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  12. Nero

Nero Member

Yeah.. THAT movie would make... TENS of dollars!

HR Dept, justtxyank and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  13. 713

713 Member

[​IMG]

Jontro, BigM and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  14. Jontro

Jontro Member

saw it... 5/10

didn't know it would be an almost frame-by-frame adaptation of the cartoon. they even broke out into song every 10 minutes. it lacked the "magical" feel or that secret ingredient which made the old disney cartoons a hit, just can't put my finger on it. i thought they would treat it like that snow white movie where they did a more serious "adult" take on the story. not this.

emma watson was cute. that's the only good thing about it. the part where she put on the yellow dress for the date with beast was underwhelming. in the cartoons it made you feel like that dress was the fuggin shiznit (who says that anymore?).

i thought the gaston casting was great, but fell flat on the beast. didn't know who that scrawny little dude was. should have casted chris hemsworth with the thor hair to play the 5-minute part of human beast.

and did i mention they had singing?

i know it was bad because the wife, who loved the cartoon, almost fell asleep.

15. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Why wouldn't you expect the musical numbers? I saw it this weekend and have a complete opposite view on it. I thought it was great and well done. They added some back story to Belle and Beast's families which I enjoyed and I believe there were two new songs made for the movie. The "Gaston" scene/song was the best imo. I do agree that Gaston seemed a bit on the slimmer side. I assumed he is not jacked because they were hiding his arms the whole movie with sleeves. No big deal, whatever.

Overall I'd give it a 9/10.

I am really enjoying what Disney is doing with these live action movies. I'm still a bit skeptical about Lion King but also very much looking forward to it.

justtxyank likes this.
  16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think hollywood has found their secret just remake old movies/ tv shows and play to people's nostalgia. The Force Awakens was pretty much a remake of starwars. I think the Lion King was the best animated movie of all time so I look forward to that. I guess Disney will be churning out its live action remakes.

17. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I saw it this weekend as well because my wife was dying to see it. I thought it was ok. I didn't dislike it or anything but I'd give it a 6/10. I don't remember the original cartoon version at all so I can't say how it compares. But this one seemed a little "off". Can't put my finger on it but it felt rushed or something. Some parts in the plot seemed odd or out of place to me also. My wife LOVED it though.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

i thought it would be like a different take of beauty and the beast. like a darker, more for adults, kinda angle. but it seemed like a mesh between adult and disney singalong. none of the song was anything great, but i do agree the gaston song was best.

anyway, they're making a live action lion king??? damn... this will either be the bestest thing ever or the worst. can't imagine them making a live action out of the best cartoon movie of all time. ALL TIMES!

19. mrm32

mrm32 Member

The good thing about it is that James Earl Jones will be reprising his role as Mufasa. Just need to get Jeremy Irons on board for Scar again.

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I saw it with the wife this weekend. 7/10. Emma Watson is great looking. I know the story but was still entertained. Had no idea that Ewan Mcgregor was in it. Didn't even recognize him when he came back as a human.

The lady next to my wife and the lady behind us were both sobbing towards the end.