1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source informed me That the rockets will sign Dmo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DMtheGM, Oct 17, 2016.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

As I said, balance out any Milsap deal or any DMo deal with the extra complications of base year. Deals. Ain't. E. Z.

2. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

Is he still qualified to play in Europe this season?

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Never suggested it was a deal in the making. I just suggested if one thinks DMo - Milsap might have legs try to balance it out after all the $$$s were equilibrilized. PM gets dealt (somewhere???) IF ASG rolls around and ATL is floundering; PM stays otherwise. Even at the risk of losing him for nada after 1 July.

4. dmoneybangbang

At this point there's
    Yea my point was how hard it is to win it all in the NBA despite drafting so many great players and despite having good management. Not talking sh*t about OKC, I like what they do but there's so many moving parts and luck involved.

5. dmoneybangbang

No doubt, and despite that they never won a championship when they drafted 3 superstars. It's so incredibly hard to keep a team together and win in the NBA.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Look everyone knows you are a D. Morey fan boy, who will run into any thread and support him at all costs, he is a Teflon GM for guys like you.

For me, I am going to hold him accountable for what he is tasked with doing, surrounding Harden with pieces that move this organization forward, he is batting above .500 but not by that much - he needs to do something this year, IMO, or it is time to move on as 10 years is more than enough time, and we have been treading water too often.

DD

7. malakas

malakas Member

Oh I said 9 off memory from July when I read an article about it.
    Now that I checked it again and taking into account the extensions and the probabllity of who opts out..
    good teams: Atlanta, Utah, Boston, most probably Indiana (Teague, Stueckey), very possibly Chicago (Wade, Rondo TO) , Dallas, maybe SAS (don't see Pau opting out at his age) , Heat and the Clippers.
    But the Clippers will have to deal with Griffin, CP3 and Reddick.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, I get that DD's refrain is capspace is overrated. But you keep making his point by using anecdotes of signing that didn't really involve having enough cap space...like the AI one. ... they are cap flexibility moves where your have to be able to clear sh1tt to make it work, like Morey always can do.

That said, I agree that the EGo and Ryno contracts are risky, which no one would call cap-flexibility moves. But I also agree with DD that having less caproom is not a death sentence for this Harden team. Although I agree with him for different reasons. My belief is from the magic Morey has accomplished with clearing space in the past. DD's emphasis is we should pay DMo whatever he wants -- cap implications be damned. Damn the torpedoes. :eek:

#748 heypartner, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  9. malakas

malakas Member

I don't believe Milsap -DMO has legs. At least no more legs than trading for Griffin or Cousins has. There are teams with tons of better assets that would pounce at such an opportunity. Because Milsap is not a diva and at his age also if you pay him he will resign. So teams like Phoenix will be all over that. And I can see others like the Bulls and Toronto being interested. And we can't compete with them asset- wise.

10. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Ban thread, delete OP.

J.R. likes this.
  11. basketballholic

For something better of course.

12. DaDakota

Uh, no that is not my emphasis at all. I would not pay Dmo 20m, nor would I have paid Ryan Anderson 20m.

DD

Snow Villiers and heypartner like this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

Fan boy? It seems you don't have any substance to add that I've shown your how a team like OKC could have so many great things going for it and how that team no longer exists several years later.

Agreed. I just prefer to understand the context surrounding the team and league. I prefer facts over emotion. Just realize the next guy has a good chance of doing worse than the current GM, it's all about risk. Change for the sake of chance is an emotional response when you have nothing lined up.

larsv8 likes this.
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Cap felxibility, cap space... I'm wrapping it all together.
    Point is, you can't just be the Nets of 4 years ago and expect to have cap space/flexibility easily.
    It's not just a matter of going out and signing DMo to $10 million+ multi-year contract willy nilly, as DD makes it seem, as you've noted.

And for this squad, I am more in favor of cap space/flexibility than less, because at this point the team has little to few other assets.

The Andersen contract makes no sense. It seemed rich at the time, and is definitely rich right now. And I think this is even more true in an MDA offense. Because while Ryno is a great offensive fit for it, with Harden at point, with Gordon, with the other guys, seems like this offense will find ways to score.

I mean hindsight is always 50/50, we're still early, and I'd much rather have Ryno at 4/$80 than Bismack Biyombo at 4/$72. And there's other off-season signings out there, especially among bigs, that really look even worse. I'm just really not in love with the Ryno signing and how it all plays into the offseason and roles. I think he's supposed to be the #2 guy... but in reality this is a super bench player. He's a Jamal Crawford at PF type. If the going rate for that is $20 million a year for 4 years, fine, but at least if they recognized that's his role. But I don't think that's the going rate. Rather, I think he got paid like a realyl good starting PF. But salary aside, they don't seem to recognize his role that well. And sure he'll have some big games and people will be like "SEE"... but he is what he is.

15. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

If they guarantee Dmo 2 years, no team option, does he sign immediately?

16. DaDakota

Or he could do a much better job. There is risk in everything 10 years is enough time to see if someone has it or doesn't - IMHO, Morey should have been fired when McHale was fired. That was his team, his coach, his pick.

DD

17. dmoneybangbang

No, it's Les's team who has the final say. Morey interviewed Vogel during the McHale hire too, the coaches are on Les. That's merely the fact of the matter.

So you willingly to risk 5-10 years of sub .500 at this point?

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Some of you have an unnatural attachment to DMo. Not LOF-ish when we had Lin, maybe.

Sure,
    "Teams like Phoenix" will be unlikely to re-sign decent free agents so that hampers their ability to pursue; why waste promising young talent / draft picks for nothing? Morey , when the team was a little more "meh," might do it, like when he was after Dwight several years ago, but he's an exception.

"Others like the Bulls and Toronto" don't or won't offer anything of particular interest, wanting to add to a strong core, and having nothing else in the cupboard.

I'm not saying the Rockets are sitting in the driver's seat when it comes to potential trades. I don't know if they'll go for incremental strengthening or swing something in December or at the trade deadline, when more options are available to them. Maybe some sort of trade that sends another team's expiring contracts to Miami should the Heat be going bust-o this season (Whiteside, Goran).

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I'll say this: we had no one to play on Love, Dmo would have been better

Snow Villiers likes this.
  20. malakas

malakas Member

Why would Phoenix do that? Their owner is the answer. Also as I said, Milsap has proven by his history that he isn't snob against bad teams.
    You don't know what Toronto and Bulls can offer. They both have better assets than we do.
    For example : Mirotic + better of Sac/Bulls 2017 1st + Portis.

Toronto if they got Milsap they would fill their big hole at pf.