1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source informed me That the rockets will sign Dmo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DMtheGM, Oct 17, 2016.

1. thiefery

thiefery Member

I like DMO however his time here is done. Shouldn't surprise anyone since they did attempt and had a deal to move him last spring. Anderson is playing better than DMO would be IMO.

2. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Lol

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, i think that's absolutely credible, tbh i don't see him as a guy who quits on a team just cause they were looking to trade him or because he doesn't like Dwight (and these are all other reason to love him as a player) so, they'll probably just end the season together and look at what they can do in the summer.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Millsap eh?

Reminds me of the times when CFers thought that Asik for Millsap was the Rockets giving up too much value LOL

Mazulis likes this.
  5. malakas

malakas Member

Wrong. Next offseason not everyone will have caproom like last summer esp max caproom. I think the no. of teams with max capspace is 9?

6. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

SOooooooooOOooo what is going on with D-Mo?

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The key here is not how many, but do the playoff teams have cap room, or the ability to clear it. As we can see every year, the top free agent almost *always* go to playoff teams, if not top 8 teams or Top 4.

Did the playoff teams shoot their wads last year?

#727 heypartner, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well again, it's more how the cap room is used then the fact that they have it.

And to your point, most teams at this point have caught up with the ability in today's NBA to manage contracts effectively so that there are always assets they can move to create cap room.

So, yes, the litany of 2nd tier FA being overpaid lands on DM. Not that they're all bad... still am fine with the Asik, Lin contracts for instance. AM thinking Gordon will live up to his contract. PBev, if HEALTHY, is a very team friendly contract.

But in FA, and the draft, there have been lots of misses.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You aren't really making an argument that Ryan Anderson is worth 20 mil a year though, you realize that right? You are just making an argument for a 3 point shooter to play the PF.

You even mention this, but you seem to think that Ryan Anderson is some kind of facilitator when that hasn't been the case his whole career, he's not really a good passer.

As to the last part, I can talk at length about how having a guy that can shoot like Ryan Anderson helps the offense. I fully get that spacing is a thing and that he can help the offense even without scoring himself....but there's 2 sides to basketball and Ryan Anderson brings nothing at all defensively which is why he's not worth 20 mil a year and is not significantly better than having just any PF that can hit the 3, be it Wiltjer or Novak. Sure Ryan Anderson is a "rich man's" version of those guys, but not 20 mil a year better.

If Anderson was even a passable defender then that changes things, but he's one of the most one sided players in the NBA.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If he's lighting it up then why would 'we' want to deal him? He's already advantaging Harden without being hot. Ryno also 'dominated' inside v the greatly coached and talented Dallas Mugs.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Milsap will be an UFA this summer. What I have been told is Hawks don't want to pay him what they expect he'll command. What I understand is Hawks hope to exchange him for talent that is 'controllable' beyond this season.

Hmm, SnT for DMo? Oops, with base year considerations more players need to be thrown into the pot. Hmm, balance out that deal, sportsfans.

What if ASG rolls around and ATL is rolling? They'd likely stay the course and worry the summer after Cavs eliminate them in 5.

12. JayZ750

HP, let me clarify. I wasn't trying to insinuate that cap space is how you build champions. I was just rebutting a consistent refrain I hear from DD which is along the lines of "who cares about cap space, or luxury tax...". It's a refrain I get, and understand as a fan - ultimately how the team is architect-ed is interesting, but just put a championship contender out there! But clearly cap space matters. As an intelligent fan, I know and recognize that teams that deftly manage their cap are, simply, better run organizations.

If I recall, the Warriors offloaded a ton of money onto the Jazz in order to sign AI they year they missed out on Dwight. And it's not a tough argument to make that without AI, the Warriors have 0 rings. Then of course this years moves to free up space, or the Spurs moves, or even the Thunder's management of cap.... which as ranged from horrible (trading Harden over a few million difference) to good (Kanter... who seemed over paid at the time, but in today's NBA isn't. He's getting paid less than Anderson and I'd MUCH rather have Kanter).

Certainly, to build a championship contender, you have to be really great a lot of different ways organizationally to accumulate the talent and coaching required.

13. malakas

malakas Member

There are only two contenders anyway and they won't. But there are some good teams / traditional FA destinations that will have. I think Miami, possibly SA (Pau PO), Boston, Clippers, Dallas.

14. malakas

malakas Member

ATL can find a better deal than that in their sleep. Milsap is the best PF in the east and he's not someone very particular about the market or the contending status of his team. As long as there are teams like Phoenix around I don't see how we can get Milsap.

15. JayZ750

Balance out a deal that as stands you've proposed is DMo for Millsap??
    C'mon, the Rockets are overpaying on that as is!!!! :rolleyes:

Seriously, I get that he'd be an upcoming free agent looking to get paid, and most importantly 32 years, old, but the Hawks will certainly be able to get better offers than anything the Rockets can throw their way... since EVERY asset the Rockets have outside of Harden is really not that valuable, and that's even if Millsap reverts to his consistent play of the last 5-6 years instead of his 24+ PER play this season so far.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Little Bit, Os Trigonum and Nivos like this.
  17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Again guys... Nov 15th is the next deadline to take note of.

This is the date of the first NBA paychecks going out for the 2016/17 season. If D-Mo isn't signed by then... missed paycheck. Like most of us in the world we live in, nothing motivates us more than missing paychecks.

And you better believe Morey is sending notification to BJ that their current offer will be prorated with deductions for every game missed as a negotiation tactic.

I'd be shocked if he's not signed by Nov 15th, but I'm not refreshing over and over again waiting for news.

YULE C!!

J.R. likes this.
  18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, sorry, I typed that too fast, and figured you'd correctly point that out. I meant playoff teams. Historically, free agent nearly always go to playoff teams or resign with their Bird team.

So the question I meant to ask is how many of those 9 teams you mentioned are playoff teams (good teams). Historically, you can ignore the bottom-dwellers when it comes to big name signings.

as an aside, why did you say "three contenders?" You don't think Lebron is on a contender? Defending Champs, GSW, SAS....no?

19. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

With his back and without proof that he's come back from it, I wouldn't throw that much money at him. I would probably offer him 2-3 years with a TO at about 6M if I was Morey.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

All the contenders have spent their money if I recall correctly. I've heard anywhere from 3-7 teams have cap space greater than the MLE left.

DMo's choices appear to be the Rockets, someone like Philly deciding they want to spend even though they haven't as of this date, or a team over the cap having an expensive player get hurt for the season.