1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What extension is Nerlens Noel worth?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by basketballholic, Sep 25, 2016.

1. basketballholic

Negotiations are ongoing at the moment. What would you be willing to give him? Is he a max player? I have a hard time seeing max unless he upgrades his game seriously this season. But 4/50 would be a no brainer in my opinion. And I'd probably top out around 4/65.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not sure. But we can safely say with the way Morey handles first round bigs who remain largely potential, DM would not give him any extension

So seems like "None" should be an option if the other end of the spectrum is a Carroll Dawson offer to Kelvin Cato.

So, I'm going with None. Let him go the RFA route like Morey made Jones, DMo do and PPatt and Morris were headed. And likely Capela too

Corrosion likes this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah it would be hard for me to give him anything with the way they are loaded up front. Let him earn it and go restricted.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Who this Nell guy?

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Hope your right bball...
    He would be a really nice get for this offense... It tells me that they dont really trust Capella's progression. Also, he would play very well in p/r situations. His defense presence is just an added bonus. Dont know if they want a big or guard in return. The Rockets have a bevy of combo guards.

edit -

Trading Noel for future picks may work...and Morey is talented enough to make that happen. This is a very interesting situation. They have a scary talent on this team. Embiid, Okafor, Simmons...goodness.
    Rodriguez...is a very underrated get. And if they can pair him with the right SG/combo guard...this team has a very good front court.

Rodriguez is gonna make the offense work. Perhaps they need a elite level defensive guard to pair along side him...
    after looking at both rosters, It looks like it may take PBev or Ariza to make a deal. Houston really has NO assets that Phili cares about atm...

#5 sugrlndkid, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

The cap goes up again next season.

Any extension signed now will be a bargain, current max will probably be market value relative to next year's cap jump.

7. malakas

malakas Member

Where did you hear that negotiations are ongoing? From what he said recently doesn't seem that things are going well.
    He hasn't shown much progress in his game or physically. The only thing an extension would serve would be to boost his trading value if it's low enough.
    But since he will not get that much playing time next season and will have to fight for his minutes it would serve Philly well in lowering his price if they wait and don't extend now.
    Right now I think he could get 14-15 per.

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I think the "negotiations are ongoing" bit was made up. Right now they're trying to placate Noel, maybe because they want to see if Embiid will be able to play before trading away one of their centers.

Noel wasn't included in team season ticket promotional material while Embiid and Okafor were. And Noel yesterday called the 76ers center situation "silly", that it seems something should have been done over the summer to achieve roster balance.

You'd think he'd be traded, but, was it the Supremes who sang, "You just keep me hanging on"?

9. basketballholic

Nothing made up. They've been talking extension.......for two reasons

1) getting him cheap enough to justify trading Okafor

2) possibly boosting his trade value by coming to an agreement regarding an extension.

As you can see today.....Nerlens is starting to become unhinged with the whole process. He wants out. And.........he'd love to come to Houston. And his pending free agency status is hurting his trade value.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

who would you prefer on our roster (if at all possible) between okafor and noel......and if noel signs an extension, does that change the parameters for trades this coming season (would philly have to take back more salary than just what's he's making in 16-17)?

11. malakas

malakas Member

It will boost his trade value but if they want him for cheaper they shouldn't extend him.

And he can be unhinged all he wants he's a RFA so he can't do anything about it.

12. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

NBA Players getting signed to max deals left and right. If you're in rotation for a playoff team, you're likely to get a max deal. If you're a starter or show starter potential for an okay team, you're likely to get a max deal. If you're over 6'10", you're likely to get a max deal.

[​IMG]

13. basketballholic

As long as MDA is our coach I would prefer Noel over Okafor, simply because Noel is an up and down guy. He may be the fastest 5 in the Association. I can't think of a faster one. And he's a plus defender with defensive player of the year potential. IMO Noel is the ideal 5 for this time because of his speed and quickness. I'm not a fan of him off the court however. I think he's a brat with a lot of potential to go south on us with his dope smoking, etc. I'm just going if we trade for him that he matures out of his stupidity.

Noel signing an extension duress make him PPP and makes a trade of him more cumbersome but Philly has cap space so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Frankly I doubt he signs an extension in Philly. I think he knows other teams are prepared to pay him more than what Philly is offering him. If he signs an extension it is most likely to occur after he is traded. And realistically whomever trades for him will likely offer him less money in an extension than they will be willing to pay him or match an offer sheet for him this summer as long as he stays healthy.

#13 basketballholic, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

noel's talent is undeniably on a different level than capela's. but as you mention, he comes with offcourt baggage risks. so that, plus the extension price, make me wonder if DM would even want him over capela. of course if it was me deciding, i'd move all possible mountains to bring noel here

15. basketballholic

Yes he does. And it then allows us to trade Capela for a star.

16. malakas

malakas Member

Noel doesnt look to have improved at any aspect in his game

17. basketballholic

Good. Maybe Ariza/bev gets it done.

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

To me he also looked like someone who wants to be traded...but yeah, no surprise here...

19. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

First off how did the enlightened Mavs not trade this fool? And I guess it's safe to say he isn't getting 17 mil next year

20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

He could get a vet minimum extension