1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

The headline doesn't do this article justice. I read it expecting to see a "blow up this team" kind of thing. Instead he outlines some good ideas and makes a good deal of sense. If we pull off what he wants, then I would be of the opinion that it was a really positive off season for the team.

mikol13 and J.R. like this.
  2. Progs

Progs Member

Well the great news is that Beltran may be looking at a 2 yr deal only because he will most likely retire after that.

3. Progs

Progs Member

Well the great news is that Beltran may be looking at a 2 yr deal only because he will most likely retire after that.

4. raining threes

What they probably will do is sign Moreland to play 1B and move Yuli to LF. Then trade for a TOR starter. (Not Sale) Probably somebody like Santana or Pineda. Not sexy but an improvement.

5. Progs

Progs Member

If Astros can sign two solid in their prime pitchers and Moreland, I would be happy. Chapman as a closer should be tempting too.

Speaking of Moreland, he would solidify the offense.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Any reason why we shouldn't expect Devenski to be in the rotation next year? Is he that much more valuable as a long reliever?

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That is nowhere close to enough. All of those players are at least 3 years from the majors and only Tucker is a truly elite prospect (for now). My estimate for what it would take to get Sale:

2 of McCullers, Martes, or K Tucker
    -plus-
    2 of Musgrove, Paulino, Devenski, or Feliz
    -plus-
    1 of Reed or Fisher

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Poor showings during the 2nd and 3rd times through lineups could be a concern. He's basically a 2 pitch pitcher, so the more they see of his changeup, it may get less effective. He's also throwing his fastball harder in the short stint outings, vs. what you may see if he's trying to go 5.

Its not that he's more valuable as a long reliever, its just that its the role his stuff may be most conducive to success. He's a tweener.

If anything, he may get a shot to be a back of the bullpen guy (possible 2 inning closer) if Giles doesn't get sorted out.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That wouldn't be the worst idea. He certainly seems to have the mentality necessary to be a closer.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not sure how you judge mentality till you actually see them in the role.

He does seem to have the requisite control... and a deceptive/hard-to-hit pitch. Then again, some of that also goes awry when actually thrust in the role.

It is intriguing to have somebody who may be able to go more than one inning... harkening back to the days when bullpen pitchers were men.

11. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I have a hard time seeing 5 players going back for sale, particularly if two are definite major league starters next year.

By your logic there could be as many as 3 young major leaguers and two top prospects going to the ChiSox.That's a huge package that would far outstrip the Cole Hamels deal.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Anything is possible - but I'll be floored if the Astros are able to pry Sale away from the White Sox and retain Bregman. And if Bregman *is* the asking price... I don't think I'd deal him.

This John Royal fellow should maybe reconsider the term "monster bat" for a guy with a career .821 OPS.

I hope to all get-out that the Astros see his career .326 OB% and pass. I think that should be the first thing they look for, honestly; they need to find guys who get on base and don't strike out too much. A lack of that is what's killed them these past two years. Two of their best hitters - Springer and Correa - strike out way too much.

13. Hey Now!

Hammels is five years older than Sale.

Sale is going to command a monster deal; otherwise, the White Sox really have no incentive to trade him. They're not a good team - but they're not a bad team, either. And having two aces at the front of your rotation makes rebuilding a whole lot easier.

14. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I can't think of an ace trade in recent memory that gives up that much major league and prospect talent.

I know there's not a ton of incentive to give away Sale but there's a lot of room in between what y'all are suggesting and what the white sox would accept.

15. Hey Now!

How many 27-year old aces, signed to a club-friendly, below market value deal for three more years, have been dealt? It doesn't happen very often, if ever.

I'm down for pursuing him - as long as Bregman is off the table.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Unfortunately that's going to be what they end up getting, whether from Houston or another team (likely the Rangers or Red Sox). Sale is worth more than Hamels was when he was traded due to the money involved.

17. Progs

Progs Member

You're wrong on all those prospects being 3 yrs away.

Tucker should be up by June 2018
    Martin should be up late 2018
    Perez and Whitley are 3 yrs away though, most likely.

18. Hey Now!

The Sox finished 4 games under .500; while not by any means good, what makes you think they'd flush three years of an ace down the drain for prospects that are 2+ years away?

If I'm Chicago, and the Astros call, I tell them Bregman or Correa + McCullers and Musgrove. The only reason they wouldn't ask for that package is if their GM is being played by an Astro fan in a BBS forum... "Sure, we'll take Reed, Hoyt and Rogers - what a steal!"

19. Nook

Nook Member

FWIW I don't think the Astros would have to deal THAT much.

Chris Sale is an attractive pitcher, but he isn't a top 5 and arguably not a top 10 pitcher in baseball.

He is under team control for 3 more seasons, but he has had velocity issues and clubhouse issues.

There are likely to be 3-4 teams REALLY in on the bidding, and the haul will be impressive...... but I don't see it being quite that large.

20. Nook

Nook Member

There is a lot of confusion in Chicago. No one within the organization or outside seems to know exactly what the White Sox will do. Even if they rebuild, it may be a short term rebuild or it may be a long term rebuild. In the past Rick Hahn has said the White Sox would want MLB ready young players under contract; and they have had a strong interest in McCullers as late as the last trade deadline.

The Astros are not giving up Bregman or Correa by themselves for Chris Sale; and there isn't a single competitive team that would. The White Sox will get a lot for Sale, but they are not getting young players already in the majors that are as good as Correa or Bregman.

As far as why the White Sox would deal Sale? The are under a lot of pressure to rebuild based on the last 10 years of mediocrity and the success of the Cubs. The White Sox have to win to compete in Chicago, because fans do not support the team when they are losing long term. Their farm system is bare, and they want to rebuild with the idea of making the playoffs and competing for the World Series.