1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] James Harden is the Rockets’ point guard, but hasn’t he always been?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Sep 26, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Hope Clutch doesn't mind me posting a link to his article on the front page, rather than letting him do the honors. If Watkins gets his own thread, Clutch's more thoughtful take should get one, too.

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/10006/james-harden-houston-rockets-point-guard/

I particularly love this comment contrasting this camp to last one wrt Harden's position:

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Just lashing out at Eric Gordon that he is the top dog. He will freeze out Gordon just the way he did Dwight.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The only bad thing about Harden bringing the ball up the court is if teams pick him up 3/4 of the way it will make Harden expend more energy. That can take its toll over time.

Clutch and mikol13 like this.
  4. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

If PB is in the starting line up then nothing has changed.

5. heypartner

MDA does say in his interview how teams already make him expend energy by "wrestling/fighting" with him to prevent getting the ball, so he might has well just have it to begin with. I'm sure it is not as simple as one method always causes Harden to expend more energy vs another.

It's not as easy as it sounds to fight off players playing pass-prevention in the front court. And if we don't believe MDA's take on this...then ask Curry...dude has to expend a buttload of energy to get the ball back.

And couldn't you just pass it if someone picks you up at 3/4 or someone else gets the inbounds. Then someone picks for Harden without the ball, and he gets it back. Seems rather simple to lose a man in the back court.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

fair enough.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Eric Gordon is a shooting guard, essentially the same height as Harden, who will come off the bench. I don't think there's much there.

8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Nope, Harden is going to ISO Gordon, just you wait and see.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Doesn't he usually bring it up already?

10. valorita

valorita Member

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'm guessing Jugdish is being sarcastic above.... as for you...

I don't understand the tone of your post, as if I said something worthy of condescension. Do you disagree with the message of my post that Harden and Gordon's roles won't conflict?

If you're very concerned that there is a major misunderstanding about Harden/Gordon's height, perhaps you should contact the Rockets directly, after checking the listed heights here:
    http://www.nba.com/rockets/roster

12. heypartner

Not when we use Horns to set the offense. And we do that a lot, just to allow Bev to bring it up and Harden to get a quick down pick coming out for the ball.

Also Bev often brings it up to allow Harden to trail the play and get the ball when he comes across half court.

All these things will still be used. Seems this talk of absolutes is something Watkins awakened that many like to fall back on, because absolutes are easier to argue about and provide click bait... Polar opposite positions and all .:. Even in a position-less offense.

13. Mr. Clutch

D'Antoni started it with his whole "harden can average 12 assists" comment

14. OTMax

OTMax Member

That wrestling was so frustrating because Harden never seemed to really able to break free, or not wanting to exert too much energy to get separation. This doesn't change much and hopefully he's in better condition because I hate his nonchalant slow dribble up the floor.

15. heypartner

Btw: what do you think of Clutch's comment that camp is better versus last year when the focus was on integrating Lawson as PG -- like the team is finally settled upon and bought into what Harden's role is.

16. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

Steven curry isn't a pg he's a fraud. He doesn't run the offense and only runs around in circles coming off only illegal screens to chuck up 3's. Worst player and biggest fraud in nba history.

17. Mr. Clutch

That's interesting though I thought everyone was excited to have another creator starting next to Harden. I think it makes much more sense to have that creator (Gordon this year) off the bench.

Last year was a huge mess, seemed like they barely had training camp injuries and stuff, glad it's going better.

18. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Hmm this will be interesting in terms of matchups on both ends of the court. Harden defensively wont be able to guard some of the quicker PGs in the league too effectively (not that he is an effective defender to begin with) but it will cause a lot of mismatches on the other end of well.

I think D'antoni is trying to get as much talent on the floor at once while making sure everything meshes well. Gordon has always played off the ball well and having more scoring threats out there with Harden and a second creator will be huge.

It does weaken the bench but the bench is pure athletes (if DMo is resigned) with Bev, KJ, Brew, Dmo and Capela and they can run most teams up and down nonstop

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

From what I have seen from Gordon is that he can create for himself and sort of for others but he is really good off ball on curls/cuts and spot up.

20. Le$$

Le$$ Member

This team is going to get pulverised this year. Expect a 35-47 type year , where nobody really give a hoot, just a bunch of high fly scoring games, that people will stop going to near the end of the season. hahah...