1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Giles has to go

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RKREBORN, Sep 24, 2016.

1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Miss the days of having three stud closers at once with Lidge, Dotel, Wags. Now I feel like my 13 year old nephew can close better than the garbage we have now

2. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Gustave is straight up better than giles in my opinion. Let martes come up and be your closer. Anything.

3. what

what Member

Giles is a good closer. He is just not mariano rivera. The astros have had more wrong than giles this year.

4. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He has been a good closer before, but he wasn't one this year. His ERA and WHIP are both too high to be classified as "good" by closer standards. In fact, I can only think of a handful who have been worse this year. You can't really sugarcoat it. I think he is better than he has shown this season, and I expect that he will bounce back, but he has not been a "good" closer this year at all.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Once that era balloons over 4 or your save rate is less than 75% I'm out. Time to give someone else a try. Ideally I'd like the closer to be under 3.00 era and save rate around 85%, as that would be good for the Astros. Right now his WAR is negative. I'd say Harris is most qualified to close at this point, but suspect Gregerson will have the gig if Giles is injured.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Our investment in Giles is too great to expect anything other than him being the opening day closer in 2017. If he gets gets rocked hard in April/May of 2017, then I could see other possibilities being explored.

I am just waiting for someone(s) to decree that Giles is why we missed the playoffs :(

kaleidosky likes this.
  7. awc713

awc713 Member

sign chapman, put giles in the 8th and harris in the 7th, and have dotel-lidge-wagner all over again.

No Worries likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That team missed the playoffs.

9. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I think he is fine as a reliever maybe not as a closer. Why can't devenski get a shot?

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Giles has not been a good closer for the Houston Astros.

I'm on record here. Not a Giles fan. Hope he works out, but I'm not a believer. I'm sure a stats geek can tell me I'm wrong though. Looking forward to that.

11. edwardc

edwardc Member

yeah this dude here is trash .

12. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

The 2 true reasons we missed the playoffs is because (first) our rotation was, simply put, terrible, especially considering we did have two 20+ game winners last season; and (second), we were the Texas Rangers whipping boys for yet another season.

13. Malaya

Malaya Member

Okay, so who hit him during batting practice today? (j/k)

14. Malaya

Malaya Member

Texans are a much bigger disappointment, but yeah, two years now the Astros bullpen have done them in. Last year just a couple of outs from the AL championship. This year, with two starters injured, the bullpen has been stretched and finally imploded.

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Giles isn't far behind on the list. His failure began before the season even started. If he'd done his job, the Luke-Harris failure never happens.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Was it that big of an investment, though? If they were to get a Chapman or another proven top closer this off season, all it does is make our pen that much better. I don't think what they gave up for Giles prevents them from making another move.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Its hard to imagine we would target a major RP (closer) in the offseason given our more glaring needs such as 1B, DH and #1 starter. But, I could see us putting one of Harris/Neshek/Gregorson out there as bait. We seem to have plenty of setup men, so cashing one in for a closer could make some sense I suppose.

I didn't mean to imply we didn't have moves to make. More so, that if our relief staff remains unchanged through the offseason, I see the closer spot as Giles to lose, despite his 2016 shortcomings.

18. MadMax

How are the Texans a much bigger disappointment? I suppose it depends on what your expectations were for both. But lots of baseball media saw Astros as a favorite to win division. SI made them cover boys. I haven't seen anything like that for Texans; and Texans have lost 1 game out of 3 so far.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

1. Rockets laid the biggest egg ( even though it was a decent year )
    2. The Dynamo are meeting low expectactions
    3. The Astros pretty much met expectations ( although Keuchel fell short )
    4. The Texans are pretty much meeting expectations ( win the division )
    5. The Cougars exceeded expectations by winning a NY6 bowl. And the train keeps rolling.

20. MadMax

I assumed a year older for the Astros would mean a year better. I assumed they'd get some help from guys they brought up through the vaunted Death Star system. Astros didn't meet my expectations at all. And I'm sure they didn't meet their own expectations.

jim1961 likes this.