1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Keep him for remainder of the season then fire him. Go after Tom Herman.

2. Buck Turgidson

I really want to like BOB, some of his in-game decisions are more than frustrating though.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm not one to overreact either way about 1 game, but man.....that was really tough to watch last night. An argument can be made that it was BOB's worst coached game of his HC career.

We have one of the fastest RBs in the league. Maybe we can run some sweep or counter plays where he can actually get outside the tackle-box?

What do you think, BOB?

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

BOB is still an above average NFL coach, shouldn't fire him until you know we can get someone better.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Beating the 8-0 Bengals on the road in prime time wasn't a virtuous win?

Last night was awful; the playoff game was awful. Both games were undermined by pitiful individual performances somewhat out of O'Brien's control.

I mean, he's gone 18-14 with a "silly QB carousel" - he can coach.

houstonstime likes this.
  6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think he can coach, but he can't build a team. The QB carousel was purely his making. His propensity to overpay for "guys he wants" through big salaries or draft picks is characteristic of his regime thus far.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

the team is getting killed right at the interior of the line. They should use this 10 day break to bring in a veteran that could compete with Mancz at center. There are at least two guys out there with success in the league, give them look.

Instead of just saying "We like what he brings to the table. He's a smart kid. He's tough. He's out there everyday trying to get better."

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

THANK YOU.. Geez it was a terrible game that was largely at the fault of the 2 kick off fumbles. it made the defense tired, led to 14 pts, and made it hard to force the offense. the knee jerking in this forum is ridiculous. The coaching was far from acceptable, but it wasnt fireworthy already. The man has had 2 out of 2 seasons in the playoffs.

9. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

It's been a few years now and I'm still not seeing why George Godsey is still calling plays. Either Fire him bob or go in the pit with him

#29 Crashlanded19, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    Red.Glare, mick fry and J.R. like this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Thanks for reminding me of the good times. Last night's loss basically washed all of that away in my mind.

That being said, that game was 10-6. The offense was putrid. We've always had a good to stellar defense, even before BOB got here... it was a hard fought win on the road against a good team, but BOB's offense did *not* contribute. And that QB carousel produced a league worst amount of yards per play and a bottom 3rd amount of points scored culminating in a 9-8 season, not sure where you get 18-14 out of it.

His resume has been bouyed by a pillow soft division and is pretty awful otherwise, honestly.

W/L: 20-16
    Playoffs: 0-1
    *Record vs. teams .500 and up: 4-14
    *Losses vs. teams under .500: Two

*-does not include current season

The trajectory of this season doesn't look much better. I was a big fan of the BOB hire, but I've lost faith.

#30 DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  11. underrated015

underrated015 Member

late in 3rd quarter, Instead of kicking a fieldgoal. He goes for it. Get some points because They don't have Tom Brady and we can stop them. He goes for the homerun in the worst possible way and when we need it the most, hes conservative. Playcalling and Special Teams killed us last night. Special consideration for Newton cuzz he flat out sucks.

12. Hey Now!

They're 1-1 against playoff teams from last year - that's a marked improvement.

I think last night is retroactively invalidating the Kansas City win. They beat us like a drum last year. Twice. That was not a slouch win.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's possible that there was an emotional hangover after the KC win that played into getting destroyed by the Pats.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Sadly I'm not going to be surprised if KC ends up below .500 this year.

Weren't they missing a lot of key pieces (Charles, Houston, etc) and we still only limped by them at home?

15. Hey Now!

Doubtful; I just think the Patriots are a better organization, which is true for the other 30 NFL teams, too.

The good thing about BO'B - he's not set in his ways and he doesn't have an oversized ego. He'll learn from this and be better for it.

16. Hey Now!

What are you - the BCS?

We were missing a few guys, too: Brown, Cushing, Martin; Watt isn't 100%...

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

We're determining the quality of wins/losses to ascertain job performance, so, yeah, for purposes of this conversation, we're both the BCS.

18. Hey Now!

In the NFL, wins are not judged by quality; just quantity.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think this one loss is enough for the Texans to get relegated to the CFL, the stadium should be blown up, and everyone should be fired. Clearly that's all it takes.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This o line is bad. They will get better with time/health, but as of now this is one of the worst collective units since the expansion days.

Martin getting hurt was a bigger blow than most are realizing.