1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

The WWE/Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by stthomsfinest, Aug 20, 2013.

1. VanityHalfBlack

Excuse Me?

[​IMG]

Clearly you haven't seen the G1, correct?

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So random Smackdown questions/thoughts...

These feuds continue, I would guess?

Miz/Dolph (thought their match was great)
    Orton/Wyatt (low-light of the night)​

But is AJ/Dean over? If so, who does AJ feud with? Obvious answer is Orton but he's still on Wyatt. And it's too soon for Cena to return, although I look forward to Cena/AJ fighting again once he does return. Also who does Dean feud with? No obvious choices so maybe they'll go at it for another month or so. (Also interesting was the crowd booing Ambrose when he was getting a leg-up in the match.)

Who does Becky feud with? I'm 100% on team Alexa Bliss so any push of her has my support, but really outside of Nikki and Carmella (who have their own thing going on) any feud will work. I will say that in the last few weeks I've become a bigger fan of all the women on SD, except for Becky who has been meh in her last few matches, especially last night.

AA/Usos matches will be good.

I'd like to see the Vaudevillains come back to relevancy. How about them against the Hype Bros?

Not sure how long Slater/Rhyno should keep the titles, but I've not yet grown tired of their act so I wouldn't mind seeing it carry on.

Still bored with Corbin and Crews. Just don't care about them yet. I think the ship might have sailed on Corbin already as a one-day WWE title contender.

3. VanityHalfBlack

Samoa Joe will probably feud with Ambrose but the next Takeover isn't until November, so?

4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

?

There are great wrestlers like Omega, Balor, Nakamura, Rollins, Owens, etc...

But at the end of the day no one can touch the level of matches AJ Styles puts out every single time he gets in the ring over the past 5 months on a consistent basis. This is a bigger deal considering the level he's at, in the main event picture of WWE (the biggest stage).

He has it all. He does everything. His run over the past few years is one of the best ever.

5. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

They don't want none.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

They could bring up Joe whenever. Nakamura too. SmackDown would make use of both.

7. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Roderick Strong just signed and they are just waiting for an opportunity to debut him. Probably go to NXT first I would imagine but he can go with anyone on the roster.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

AJ/Dean will probably continue since AJ didn't win clean.

9. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

He'd get a guaranteed rematch either way

10. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Its really hard too say who's the best.

Styles, Rollins, Nakamura, Balor, Owens, Zayn, Cesaro are all insanely original, always go 100% and never have an off night. I know you put any of those guys in a match together and it will be a classic

Styles probably holds off Ambrose at the next split PPV. The Cena fued is def not over, but they probably save that for SS, RR or WM

11. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Another 'PPV' in 2 weeks.

I don't have cable TV so don't get to watch Raw and SD, but with the Network having NXT, CWC, and now 'PPV's' every other week since the brand split, I STILL have wrestling overload.

12. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Too many 'PPV's'.

If they want to make everything mean more, they should just alternate months for those shows so Raw and SD have one bi monthly.

Then the 'PPV's' themselves also benefit from having a proper build up of 6-8 shows between each event.

Right now - special events already seem far less special. And it's only just begun...

Same old mistake they made with last brand split.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

More PPVs the better value WWE Network is. I'm not having any wrestling overload, but then again I haven't been watching CWC and not much NXT either.

The cure for your overload, aussie? Take a week off. Or two. Or drop one of the shows.

So long as the product is good, I'm happy.

14. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

That's just it though - the product is NOT good. And a PPV every 2 weeks just further waters down the product.

The quality of the in ring product is good, sure. But the storylines and feuds rarely connect. And that's going to become even more difficult with less time to marinate between 'PPV's'.

All the old stuff alone keeps the Network valuable. Everyone should check out the new Hidden Gems collection for example.

15. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I can't stand ADR for taking Paige away from all of us.

:(

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I just can't get into Styles. I re-watched the Backlash main event and was still bored. It was just really slow except for when Dean was on the offensive. I haven't seen a whole lot of Nakamura but I've been bored watching his matches too. Rollins gets my vote as the best but I'm also a big fan of Cesaro and like KO a lot too.

17. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I don't think I trust the writers to come up with 6-8 weeks of storyline buildup that's creative and entertaining. I audibly groaned when Dana brought up the idea of another best of 7 series for Bayley/Sasha.

But I understand being burnt out. Raw's ppv is in 2 weeks, and SDL's next ppv is 2 weeks after that. It only makes it more obvious that the shows are just filler and a means to setup the match for the next ppv.

Setting the bar low for raw and smackdown does make it more amazing when you get the good ones, like Houston's raw. Tonight's Raw too was better than what we've been getting.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well, this is obviously just my personal opinion, but I'd say the roster is as deep as its ever been. So that's why you need more events. Not every feud will be great but that's true regardless.

I don't think the writers are being too rushed or anything to fully develop a storyline; I mean it's not like they weren't botching stories and burying wrestlers before the split.

But yes I definitely agree that there are feuds not worth caring about. I've fast forwarded through the last few Cesaro/Shaemus matches even though I like both guys. Still, I don't think fewer events is the remedy when you have so many guys on the roster who deserve an opportunity.

(Personally I wish so many of the Raw guys were on SmackDown to shore up their midcard; Neville and Bo Dallas could have been something on SmackDown. Hell, Bo's recent actions/demeanor make him the PERFECT sidekick for his brother Bray. Also Neville competing for the intercontinental title would be fun.)

19. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

THIS...is what I'm personally afraid of. The AJ/Cena feud needs to be over, for good, but WWE just won't have Cena lose a feud outright. When Cena returns, he needs to stay away from AJ completely (especially now that AJ's the champ) for 2 reasons:

1.) If there's another 1-on-1 match between the 2, it's a 100% guaran-damn-tee Cena wins, which (IMO) ruins the lasting moment and image of AJ beating him clean and ending a feud decisively because WWE feels that Cena "has to get a makeup win", a la "Twice in a Lifetime".

2.) Just like "Twice in a Lifetime", that guaranteed makeup win will be a title win. Go back to the 2013 Royal Rumble PPV, when Rock beat CM Punk and then Cena won the Royal Rumble Match an hour later; we all knew it would be Rock/Cena II, for the WWE Title, and Cena was going to win. The outcome was never in doubt the moment that match was set. The cruel irony behind that feud to begin with, is that Cena was annoyed and offended that Rock took time away from WWE to pursue other work (films and TV shows), Cena is doing the exact same thing right now.

Cena doesn't need the top title to properly elevate another name and establish another big time main-eventer for the Blue Brand. Just like how many fans felt if Nikki won the 1st SD Women's Title would stain the concept of a Women's Revolution, Cena winning the WWE World Title and beating everyone (the established status quo for the last 12 years) would ruin the concept of the New Era, because nothing would have really changed.

20. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I think RAW was a 1000x better than SD's PPV

Sasha/Bayley/Dana #1 contender
    Jericho was gold during the highlight reel
    Cesaro/Sheamus
    The new & improved Bo Dallas, he never looked that great as NXT Champ
    The Club/New Day
    Zayn/Jericho
    Owens/Reigns
    Rusev destroying Reigns

Clash of Champions looks way better on paper. So much talent that might not even make it on the card (Certified G's, Bayley, Cesaro/Sheamus, etc

Next Monday we get the Cruiserweights too! Don't know if they'll crown a Cruiserweight champ tmrw on CWC or at the PPV