1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

9/11 15 years later

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It's crazy it's been 15 years. I will always remember that morning like yesterday. I was a freshman in high school, heard news of the first crash on the school bus, and the rest once I got to school.

RIP to all those that were lost.

I was just watching clips of the documentary "9/11", which, in my opinion is the greatest documentary ever made. It should be a national treasure.

Watching that documentary, puts things in perspective, and makes me want to scream at everyone across the country to unite as one, and just get along.

It also leaves me with other, more vile thoughts towards ISIS, but that's for a different forum.

2. nono

nono Member

It seems as if it happened 10 years ago, not 15. Time really flies by.

3. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Crazy, I also remember it like it was yesterday, I was at work at the Union Pacific in Omaha Ne and we had TV`s on every floor and I walked by one and CNN was on and we all just stood there and could not figure out what the hell was happening

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Saw the documentary on CNN about the fire-fighters. Still can't believe their are people out there in the world that think their God would condone this.

RIP everyone that lost their lives that day.

5. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I was in first grade and I can remember lots of things before that date but for the life of me I can't remember what I did on that day in particular.

The closest thing I can remember is exactly the next year, on September 11th, 2002, I raised my hand during class because something about the day seemed important and I said "Miss, today is Sep. 11th!" and she was like "...ok?"

6. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

The silver lining was that MTV and VH1 played music videos without commercials for like two days straight.

7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I remember after 9/11 thinking that the USA would have another MAJOR attack within 10 years. Thank God we have not seen anything on that scale, and I think we can probably chalk it up to the national security measures that were put in place.

8. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

For anybody that's going to be NYC soon, I HIGHLY recommend visiting the One World Observatory, such great history explained in that area, along side it being near the 2 WTC fountains

9. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Wow, its hard to imagine that it has been that long. So much has changed since, but it still feels like it happened just a few years ago.

I was in 5th grade and we were walking as a class to the computer lab and one of the teachers came out to the hallway crying and told us what happened. We all filed into that classroom and watched it all unfold on tv all the way until they collapsed. Parents started picking all kids up and once I got home my Mom and I just sat there and watched coverage on it all day. What a sad day that was.

10. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Man I went to the memorial/museum last year, and that was intense. I didn't lose anyone on that day, and it's hard to describe but you just feel everyone's collective pain. I can't even fathom what people who were there that day felt.

11. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

The NY Giants fan they showed during the Star Spangled Banner before the Cowboys game really got to me. It was an older manly looking man, clutching the corner of an American flag, singing and crying his eyes out. The feels.

It is stuff like that, that really hits me like a ton of bricks. I wasn't there, and it greatly affected me... but I can't imagine something like that happening in Houston. A community I love like it is a member of my family.

While those Americans who were alive at the time still remember it vividly, I can only imagine what seeing it with your own eyes, and losing people you know must have been like.

12. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I feel old that there are kids in high school that were born AFTER 9/11 and don't know a world before the event.

13. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Right? I have two very young boys (6 and 4), and my wife just asked, "When do we tell them about it?" I never even thought about it...just sat there in silence. Not for a while that's for sure. Let them think the entire world is bubble gum and cotton candy for as long as we can.

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I guess my mind works a bit differently but it feels much longer to me. But, I didn't know anyone and I wasn't there to directly experience it. Obviously, watching it on TV was a scarring experience and it represented a loss of innocence/freedom going forward for all of us. But, I think it's fair to say if you did see it live in person or were directly affected...it's going to feel more like yesterday than 15 years ago. For me personally, it kind of feels like a lifetime ago. It's not that I shrugged it off or forgot about it (as it lives in each of us every day one way or another)...it's just with everything that happened since (never-ending wars, terrorism, etc.)...it feels like a long time ago to me. In no way does that mean I discount the tragedy that unfolded that day in any way whatsoever. It was the worst day of many peoples' lives and one that scarred everyone who was alive and aware of it that day...each to their own degree. My takeaway from that day is it could of been any one of us just going about our day and going to work. It was a regular day that turned into one's worst nightmare for people who were there especially....those living and those no longer living. The fact is...after that day...you can't take any day for granted as a regular day ever since. The reality is any regular day could turn into an irregular day and could be your last...because of terrorism. The idea that we were a pretty safe country immune to what was going on overseas was destroyed that day...much the same way many people probably felt after Pearl Harbor happened thinking an attack like that could or would never happen.

That said...it is weird it feels so distant to me...almost like someone else experienced it. I guess part of that is just subconsciously wanting to forget about that terrible day even though that is not really possible. If I were in NY and was on the ground watching that, then I know the mental impact would have been so much worse and it would feel like yesterday.