1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Malik Jefferson was everywhere. He made up for a lot of the DLine with his presence. His banging partner, Anthony Wheeler #45, needs to step up bigger and be smarter about his assignments. Secondary was suspect all night.

2. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Still pumped up about the game last night. I was cautiously optimistic, hoping Texas would put on a good showing but I didn't really expect them to win.

3. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I like the fact that we went deep so much. The fewer plays it takes to get the job done, the fewer the opportunities for mistakes/turnovers.

Seems like there are big differences in the types of spread offenses. Baylor and now UT throw a lot of deep balls. A lot different from Leach's Tech and Chase Daniels' Missouri who would trot out 5 WR's but do nothing but dink and dunk - probably due to lack of pass protection from no tight ends.

In fact, Buechelle threw some bad deep balls. They went to it enough though that they connected on a few. In the past, the QB would only have a couple chances with deep balls.

Imagine if Swoopes could throw adequately. With his power running, those safeties are always gonna be up, Swoopes could get big yardage plays if he could just complete some passes.

Have heard nothing about Foreman at RB. I thought he was a force.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

He was a beast out there. Looked like Marshawn Lynch's offspring; breaking arm tackles, running into a pile and then bouncing out for a 10 yard gain, running through holes and trucking fools. That kid was a 2 star recruit and now looks like a draft prospect.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/chrissadeghi">@chrissadeghi</a> describes moment UT's Tyrone Swoopes plowed into him during yesterday's game <a href="https://t.co/KuSuz2poOD">https://t.co/KuSuz2poOD</a> <a href="https://t.co/WiqaawaML7">pic.twitter.com/WiqaawaML7</a></p>&mdash; WFAA-TV (@wfaachannel8) <a href="https://twitter.com/wfaachannel8/status/772825031177080832">September 5, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I still can't believe this happened.

7. Newlin

Newlin Member

My goodness the Horns have some beef in the backfield. Big beef.

I was really looking for Warren to do some damage since he was running over people at the end of last season. But, wow did Foreman look good. And my goodness Swoopes looks huge.

8. askball

askball Member

As a TCU fan, watching UT's new offense was eerily reminiscent of Baylor's offense but with better athletes. Can't believe how quickly Gilbert was able to implement basically the exact same offense as Baylor's in one offseason. And you're exactly right; it's pound the ball up the middle, tempo, tempo, tempo, and then finally go over the top.

I'm happy UT won. The Big 12 is a much better conference when UT is good at football.

9. newAge_Rockets

I'm a UH student, but have cheered on Notre Dame from the Willingham years thru now and just wanted to say congrats to Texas. The Longhorns exploited our defense time and time again, and they honestly had several missed opportunities that would have hung more points on the Irish. Strong is building one hell of a program, and there are few coaches in the country that I have more respect for than him.

Also, the entire offensive game plan for UT was genius. Gilbert gave Kelly a front row seat on how to execute a 2QB system. Good luck on the rest of the season! The Big XII is wide open.

10. Bob Barker 007

Buechele's throw to Heard at 56:32 was incredible:
    https://youtu.be/XUC14tsAu7U?t=56m32s

Very few of Buechele's deep balls would actually be considered bad, and 1 of his incompletions should have been caught for an 85 yard touchdown. Burt really surprised me with his speed; he looks really fast in person. Jake Oliver and Jacorey Warrick were pleasant surprises. Michael Dickson had a punt average of 55 yards. Buechele played very poised the entire game. I can't fault him too much on the interception because that was his only major mistake of the game. Foreman looked great. While I wasn't overly impressed with UT's defensive line, Boyette and Ford did do a decent job inside. The DEs were pretty weak and did not provide much of a push, though they were lined up against McGlinchey of Notre Dame.

Patrick Vahe was a bit of a disappointment in pass coverage on the offensive line. Davante Davis was disappointing on three occasions in coverage. Special teams are still way too erratic and prone to bad mistakes. I don't know why they didn't just take the delay of game penalty on the extra point. It's not like Domingue is a freshman kicker. There were too many missed tackles at times. Wheeler is a good player, but he relies too much on his athleticism rather than effective pursuit. I wish we could see more of Brandon Jones and DeShon Elliott at safety rather than Haines and Hall. That'll take some time and could occur by the end of the season.

Finally, Temple DE Taquon Graham committed to Texas today.
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">HookEm! <a href="https://t.co/lzkpPzk3HZ">pic.twitter.com/lzkpPzk3HZ</a></p>&mdash; TQ (@Quon_49) <a href="https://twitter.com/Quon_49/status/772871900523487236">September 5, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. Buck Turgidson

Wow. That's the most fun I've had at a football game in a long time.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe src="https://vine.co/v/55K11eZFKxq/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

14. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

UT #20 in the USA Today Coaches Poll

15. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

UT vs OU prices will rise for sure if OU & UT don't lose till RRS.

16. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd much rather see OU be 1-3 with losses to Ohio State and TCU before that game.

17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Texas is at #11 in the AP poll.

1. Alabama (1)
    2. Clemson (2)
    3. Florida State (4)
    4. Ohio State (6)
    5. Michigan (7)
    6. Houston (15)
    7. Stanford (8)
    8. Washington (14)
    9. Georgia (18)
    10. Wisconsin (NR)
    11. Texas (NR)
    12. Michigan State (12)
    13.Louisville (19)
    14. Oklahoma (3)
    15. TCU (13)
    16. Iowa (17)
    17. Tennessee (9)
    18. Notre Dame (10)
    19. Ole Miss (11)
    20. Texas A&M (NR)
    21. LSU (5)
    22. Oklahoma State (21)
    23. Baylor (23)
    24. Oregon (24)
    25. Miami (NR)

Feels a little too high, but I'll take it after these years in the wilderness.

18. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Texas beats the #10 team by 3 in double overtime and it moves them from outside the top 25 all the way to #11? That's ridiculous.

19. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

a bit high, but I'll take it

20. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Why? They had not played a game so you really didn't know where they should be ranked. I don't think you should bother considering any pre-season polling since no games have been played. Polls should be based on your performance this year and they should just stop doing pre-season polls.