1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ty Lawson to Kings

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by craguin, Aug 29, 2016.

1. craguin

craguin Member

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Steal for the kings while Maurii was sitting around playing with his calculator.

;)

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wassup Sac-town... trying to those cowbells back in action</p>&mdash; Ty Lawson (@TyLawson3) <a href="https://twitter.com/TyLawson3/status/770100075108458497">August 29, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Was he drunk when he tweeted that? What is he trying to say? And Sactown is not hyphenated, as a fan immediately pointed out in response to his tweet.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/TyLawson3">@TyLawson3</a> first rule of sactown...it's not hyphenated �� welcome to your new home! show us your heart &amp; we'll support you for life! �� �� ��</p>&mdash; elyse (@gemelyse) <a href="https://twitter.com/gemelyse/status/770120070366392320">August 29, 2016</a></blockquote>

#3 heypartner, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Good for him. I suppose you could argue the Kings were mildly successful in rehabilitating Rondo's image after his disastrous stint in Dallas.

5. craguin

craguin Member

Lawson's hookah flashback - “I told you. I’m going to Sacramento, bro.”

<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here it is from <a href="https://twitter.com/TyLawson3">@TyLawson3</a> &quot;I'm going to Sacramento&quot; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Nuggets?src=hash">#Nuggets</a> <a href="http://t.co/mhOsQgSTeq">pic.twitter.com/mhOsQgSTeq</a></p>&mdash; Harrison Wind (@NBAWind) <a href="https://twitter.com/NBAWind/status/614238310299340801">June 26, 2015</a></blockquote>

6. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Norris Cole still yet to sign anywhere. Same with Chalmers.

7. craguin

craguin Member

Chalmers was given the OK to play again four days ago:
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Finally cleared to get back on the court. This been a long ass 5 months man. But we don't kill u make u stronger. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/backlikeineverleft?src=hash">#backlikeineverleft</a></p>&mdash; Mario Chalmers (@mchalmers15) <a href="https://twitter.com/mchalmers15/status/768854740201533440">August 25, 2016</a></blockquote>
    Mo Williams may decide to retire; if so, maybe Cole or Chalmers to Cavs?

[cleveland.com - Aug 27, 2016] Sources: Mo Williams considering retirement, Cavs could part with him soon

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I still can't believe how bad he was last year, but even worse was how poorly we used him.

If they give him the ball I see him having a bit of a comeback.

9. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Thanks mate, we should take a flyer on him imo.

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Good for him. Finally escaped the evil clutches of James Harden and can now be good at basketball again. Right?

11. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Looking at Sac last year they might NEED someone to dribble the air out of the ball. ;)

12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Lawson has def been training hard in Houston the past 3-4 months. Drinking his ass off in the clubs every night.........

13. joeson332

joeson332 Member

:grin:;)

14. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

You did not watch the games if you think he wasn't given the ball. That man crumbled last year and had one decent game.

15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I watched all the games and he absolutely stood in the corner more than he did anything else.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I watched all the games last season, some more than once (I'm a glutton for punishment), and all Ty Lawson did was to become a massive disappointment to his teammates, the organization, and the fans (me, you, and everyone else, dammit). I'm shocked a team is taking a flyer on him. Were I a GM, I certainly wouldn't.

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

On a minimum contract I'd absolutely take a flyer on Ty. He's played at a high level in the NBA before and he hasn't even had an injury to explain his decline. Every team has somebody sitting at the end of the bench racking up DNPs; most of them have never been worthy of seeing the floor and never will be. Ty has played at a near All-Star level. Maybe he never returns to form - but is it completely unreasonable to think that he could at least return to be a quality bench player in stints? Seems like there is a higher probability of Ty playing at an NBA level than the usual undrafted players or late second rounders that occupy the 15th man role.

18. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Yeah and when given the ball he almost immediately always passed. He didn't look comfortable at all and never was aggressive at all. It had nothing to do with Harden. Sure Harden would bring it up but he would pass it to him, and he would immediately pass it away without setting anything or driving. He had one good game, and two alright games that he started to look better but never did anything but meander around obscurity. Then when he left he was worse off and looked terrible. You can't under utilize a player that has nothing in him.

19. craguin

craguin Member

Can he learn how to accept the person/player he is today without any expectations of returning to "near All-Star level" play?
    Does he worry too much about what other people think about him?

[Marc Spears - The Undefeated - July 20, 2016] Ty Lawson aims to bounce back after stumbling
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    After being traded from the Nuggets, he admitted that he struggled mentally and physically while playing with the Houston Rockets and Indiana Pacers last season. There were no struggles off the floor, however, for Lawson with either team last season, sources told The Undefeated.

Lawson is now a free agent seeking another NBA opportunity in hopes of proving that he can be the star guard again.

“It would be big to be back to my old self again. Also, it’s not for just me, it’s for my parents,” Lawson told The Undefeated. “They have had a hard time seeing what I’ve been going through. I know they hear the little comments at NBA games. To make them proud again would mean the world to me.”

The following is Lawson’s recent Q&A with The Undefeated:

Could you mentally focus on basketball last season after what you had been through?

My situation wasn’t ideal for me. There were little annoying things always on Instagram and Twitter. Those were the main two things that I had to put basically out of my mind and not use as much. I couldn’t post anything about food because, ‘Oh, that food has alcohol in it,’ or something crazy like that. It was little bit harder and I probably wanted to prove myself more because of what I went through. I was not really focused as much the right way as I should have.

Did you ever relax on the basketball court last season?

I don’t think so, especially when I was moved to the bench and was not playing many minutes. Everything was under a microscope. I couldn’t play freely and loosely like I did because I felt like if I missed a shot I was coming right out. I had eyes on the back of my shoulders at all times.

Did you really have to watch what you were doing off the court last season after your previous off-the-court struggles?

I had to be careful about where I was going and things like that. Even if I wasn’t doing anything all you could hear is, ‘Ty is out again doing something.’ I had to make sure I had a positive light on me. I wasn’t doing anything for anyone to talk about.

Did you purposely refrain from doing certain things or going to certain places?

Not really. I wouldn’t be out late at night or anything like that. That would give people any type of excuse. I pretty much did the same things I always do. The times I got in trouble, I was caught drinking and driving. I don’t drive anymore or do anything irresponsible. Mostly, I’ve been just staying in and staying out of the spotlight.

What do you say to prospective teams when they ask you about your alcohol problems?

Things happened in the media because I drank and drove. But I’m not a person out here like everyone thinks that I’m drunk all day. No, I don’t do that. A lot of my friends, we go out and celebrate. But I’m not that person in the morning getting drunk before practice. I think there is a big misconception about what everybody thinks. That’s what I basically tell them. I keep it honest.

Do you think not having any setbacks off the court with the Rockets or the Pacers last season allows prospective teams to be more comfortable with you?

I believe 100 percent that both teams would vouch for me in that aspect. There is a misconception throughout the league and the world. It’s hard sometimes that people feel that way about me, but they don’t know anything about me. I feel 100 percent that they would vouch for me.

Thinking back to your time with the Nuggets, if you could go back in time, what would you have done differently or have changed?

I probably should have let the agent handle the situation more than me speaking out loud. That is probably what I would want to take back from it. Everything happens for a reason, I believe. Everything that happened last season is going to make me a stronger, better player.

What is the difference between where you were a year ago and now?

I was trying to figure out where I was going. I ended up being traded to the Rockets. I wanted to make sure everyone knew who I really was, the guy who averaged 15 points and nine assists and being a name that everybody can be proud of.

Do you feel like you’ve regained your old game back this summer while playing pickup ball with other professional players in Los Angeles?

I think so. The whole thing is with confidence. Last [season] was the first time I felt that I wasn’t the confident player. If I did any wrong thing, I would be scared to shoot it or scared to make a pass. But it’s all confidence. I sat down, looked in the mirror and watched my old YouTube videos and realized I am the same player I am. I just have to be confident shooting the ball and play my regular game.

Do you feel like you’re a sleeper free agent?

I think so. At this point, I am not going to say they are going to get me for cheap. But they’re going to get me for cheaper than I feel I’m worth … I feel like I’m overlooked in free agency.

Do you have extra motivation to prove everybody wrong?

I am definitely putting up extra shots getting ready for this season. It’s a big year. On Instagram, the haters went down a little bit after what happened last year. Hopefully, I can start getting positive feedback, positive mentions by showing how much work I put in this summer …

I just got to go out there and play, stop second-guessing myself and go out there and play like I normally do. It’s going to be easier than last year. I wasn’t able to work out as much because I had to go to rehab. I’m focused. I’m in the gym every day. I feel like the old Denver Ty Lawson will be ready to show up.

Do you have any former and current NBA player that you’re leaning on right now for help?

The things like I like to deal with myself. I’m not really an extrovert or a person who goes out reaching out to people. I talk to [former NBA player] Anthony Carter a little bit because when I was coming up [in Denver] he was my vet [mentor]. I talk to him. That’s about it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------