1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What win total would mean a successful Astros season for you

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by vince, Aug 25, 2016.

1. vince

vince Member

If the Astros finish the year going 24-11, they can reach 90 victories. Regardless if the make the playoffs, I'd say they would have had a very successful campaign.

This team has the talent to finish 24-11, so I'd think it's doable.

2. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

To get 90 wins and miss the playoffs would be a heartbreaker. I think 90 gets us in.....

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Only 35-0 is acceptable.

4. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

As of now we're on pace to finish with the same record as last year (86 wins). I wouldn't call that a successful campaign. Unless we make the playoffs, getting to 90 should be a good benchmark for any team. But if you don't improve from last year's 86, I doubt Lunhow would classify this as a successful year.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

75 is awful, 80 is bad, 85 is ok, 90 is good, 95 is excellent, 100 is unbelievable.

1 person likes this.
  6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

More wins than last year and I'm happy. It's called progress. We worked in a bunch of rookies this year, guys who will have experience come next year. Correa had a sophomore slump, in its own way also a valuable experience.

Because of our starting pitching, I don't care so much about making the playoffs because I feel like our ceiling will be low regardless of who we face. It was different last year having the reigning Cy Young + McCullers. But next year is another chance to get our pitching right and our weak spots in the lineup shored up.

Until then, if we can continue development while seeing tangible improvements from the young guys' performances, we will have met our goal for the remainder of the season. More wins than last year will be the cherry on top and will make me satisfied on whole.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Getting to 85ish initially would've been solid. Getting to 85 given Keuchel/Rasmus/Gomez? Amazing, assuming the FO will try to address those issues in the offseason. Anything higher, all that much better.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The Astros have 8 rookies that they play on a regular basis. 85+ wins should be considered a successful season.

1 person likes this.
  9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Anything above 85 would have made me happy in April. Now, knowing what I know about the team, anything above 85 would make me ecstatic.

1 person likes this.
  10. PhiSlammaJamma

Yeah. 220... 221, whatever it takes.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Carlos Correa is NOT having a sophomore slump. He had a rough stretch near the end of May (roughly 12 games) and he's having a rough stretch right now - but he's otherwise been every bit as good as he was last year.

His only "crime" - and I got on him for it, too, initially before kicking myself in the head - was that he didn't make the leap to Harper/Trout level. But he's 21 and will likely post a 6+ WAR.

Do you know how many players, 21 or younger, have a posted a 6+ WAR since 1947? 16. And Harper didn't do it until his fourth season (he was 22).

Carlos Correa is a freaking monster, and that "not as good at 21 as Mike Trout" is the only "complaint" underscores that.

1 person likes this.
  12. conquistador#11

considering rasmus and gomez fell flat on their faces and drowned, everyone should enjoy being in the race going into september. it's a streaky team that can go 24-11.

1 person likes this.
  13. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I just want our team playing meaningful games in September. Obviously I'd love for us to make the playoffs, but if we have a legitimate chance at the playoffs throughout September, and even if we unfortunately fall short at the end, I'll consider this season a success. I think the pressure-filled games, and experience down the stretch is great for our young team (as was last year).

I know it's been a long and at many times a frustrating season, but as we sit here today, we have a better record than both teams that played in the World Series last year. That's with all of the problems that other posters have already mentioned (Keuchel, McCullers' injury, Rasmus, and Gomez). That's pretty phenomenal when you think about it.

And hopefully we'll finish strong and still make the playoffs! Let's go Club Astros!

1 person likes this.
  14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And... it looks all the world like we've added a legitimate bat to the line-up (Bregman).

I think there's been soooooo much focus on 5-9 this year (and with good reason), that it's morphed into not *individually* fixing 5, 6, 7, 8 and/or 9 - but literally fixing 5-9. And that's not possible.

BUT if Bregman is the real deal, that gives us 4 legitimately great hitters and that's a big advantage as they look to '17.

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

This phenomenon is interesting--I've been guilty of it, too. But if the focus was always "5-9 is awful"...and now Bregman is in the fold...logically, that should mean that only 6-9 are still awful. (Or perhaps, 5, and 7-9...point is, 4 players and not 5 anymore)

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I won't be happy until the Astros get that 4th win in the World Series.

;)

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Astros are going to be good next year if Keuchel finds his game and they can get a TOR pitcher somehow.

We shall wait and see.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't think it is fair to evaluate this team with just wins and losses

19. Buck Turgidson

They shouldn't be below .500, they could make the playoffs.

Anything in between that is ok this year..

20. Jay713

Jay713 Member

Below .500, coaches will be fired.