1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chicago Gonna Chicago] Teen murdered on family's front porch

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Aug 16, 2016.

1. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I agree to an extent. Who is even their leader? They don't seem very organized and these riots and looting after do not do any good IMO. Obviously the riots aren't associated with BLM necessarily but they need to speak out against the rioting then make their point heard in a calm protest if possible.

After visiting the Civil Rights museum and seeing all of the ideas and speeches that MLK had, I really wish someone would have taken the throne from him after he was murdered. I have been waiting for a leader to step up and appeal to blacks, whites, cops, etc. to figure out a way to help impoverished cities like Milwaukee, Chicago, etc. get back some semblance of civilized society as that is what is needed most right now. Also, cop relations need to improve but education in these communities also needs to occur. Disobeying cops should never be an instinct but it seems it is prevalent these days. Also, running from a cop or resisting arrest is going to end up badly with you in jail or killed no matter the race. Anyways, enough the cop relations because I don't see it improving until there is a strong voice like one of the several black Police Chiefs we have in this country in our major cities like Milwaukee, Dallas, etc.

Above that, we need a political voice that can get through to the President or the President alone needs to figure out ways to get people back to work in Milwaukee, Chicago, etc. without allowing them to be on welfare unless it is truly valid and they are doing everything possible to provide for their family.

Back to MLK, I believe we are seeing the effects from the Civil Rights movement where MLK was not able to officially pass the torch to anyone that still has a voice today. I believe Jesse Jackson is capable but he has burned so many bridges in causes before that it is hard to believe he is willing to see both sides which was a gift of MLK as he understood what he was fighting for and exactly what kind of inequality he was trying to defeat. Considering Jesse Jackson was a friend of MLK, it is disappointing some of the stances he has made in year's past but I believe he and many black leaders should unite in trying to fix the most notorious communities while also trying to more peacefully and intelligently fight the BLM movement. He has coalitions and movements in place but influence and funds may be lacking. When Obama is out of office, he needs to try and dedicate his life to bringing this great nation together and rebuild cities like Baltimore, Milwaukee, Chicago as he unfortunately has seen these cities deteriorate during his tenure. I really hope some leaders (athletes, politicians, musicians, actors, scholars, teachers, etc.) can join together for an organized cause similar to the Civil Rights Movement as there is still work to be done since MLK was not alive to see his legacy endure.

Here is a good article by Jesse Jackson that he wrote today that gives me hope that he is working on repairing these cities instead of blaming the police.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/opinion/jesse-jackson-the-shame-of-milwaukee/

1 person likes this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Zimmerman stalked (while armed) an innocent man and then claimed self-defense when a confrontation resulted because of his actions. The jury only decides on the matters of fact. The judge interprets the law, the legislature writes the law. The jury could probably have done nothing but return a not guilty verdict given the way the law was written and then interpreted. Just because he was acquitted by a jury does not mean no injustice was perpetrated. But, I don't mean to argue Trayvon yet again -- the point is that BLM perceives in the Trayvon case an injustice perpetrated by the state. That perception doesn't have to be correct or even rational to at least be able to say that the point of BLM is to protest institutional racism in the state, and not simply to express some general and trite notion of the inherent value of black people. Its baffling that this even needs to be explained to people.

On your second point about extrajudicial killings and vigilantes, I don't even know what you're getting at, but I can't help but suspect you read it wrong.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There was no injustice....when you attack someone and they retaliate by shooting you, that's self defense, not murder. The facts just never seem to be on the side of those pushing the ridiculous BLM narrative. They need smarter people to help them pick their battles.

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Their words, not mine. What is there to "read it wrong"?

5. JuanValdez

I guess I don't see anything controversial about opposing extrajudicial killings and vigilantism. I should hope that we all agree with BLM that those things are wrong.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the classic example of racism in trying to destroy the legitimate part of a movement.

It's like saying since cancer kills so many more people than lou gehrig's disease, people should never have tried to raise money for a cure to one disease over the other.

Horrible logic.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, in theory, the problem is that every example of "extrajudicial killings and vigilantism" that they've pointed to were not wrong. They'd do themselves a favor by picking legitimately wrong instances of extrajudicial killings or vigilantism if they want to push that narrative because right now they have no credibility whatsoever.

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

You can't call people racists because you disagree with them.

Also, legitimate or not BLM could focus on bigger problems. It they chose not to that's fine but it would be a damn shame. They might actually make a great difference since they are well known have so much momentum.

9. JuanValdez

I still don't get why you think institutionalized racism is a small problem. I'd say it is much bigger than gang violence.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL what are you talking about? If you include the multiple versions of calling someone a bigot because he disagrees with them, that's like 90% of Lou's shtick.

11. dmoneybangbang

The biggest is issue has been the war on drugs, which has targeted blacks much more so than whites. A generation and half a black men with a felony(ies) and no real education due to our tough on drugs policy.

1 person likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I never understood why people blame the laws for people being criminals. I would certainly legalize certain drugs if I had it my way, but that doesn't mean that you can ignore the laws on the books without consequences.

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

How amusing you should bring up cancer. BLM is on par with Kids Wish Foundation or Cancer Fund of America.

Charity name-------------Total raised by solicitors----Paid to solicitors % spent on direct cash aid
    Kids Wish Network-------$137.9 million----------------$115.9 million----2.5%
    Cancer Fund of America- $86.8 million-----------------$75.4 million-----1.0%

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When you are attacking a minority group for fighting for equality from the state - then what else is it?

Time to stop being so politically correct. Let's not sugar-coat it.

15. dmoneybangbang

Of course you can't see the big picture; from illegal immigration to a significant number of unemployable black men to an increasing police state.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The big picture is people breaking the law and paying the price for that. If you look at the REALLY poor areas of the country, they are always Democrat strongholds.....I wonder why that is? Funny though, the people they put in office NEVER get the blame for conditions never improving.

It is funny though that you note illegal immigration as a problem but then claim that there are "unemployable black men".....so you aren't "unemployable" if you are an illegal alien?

I think we should stop making excuses for people and just expect better. No one has to be a drug addict, no one has to be a drug dealer or thief. Those are all choices that have consequences and sure those consequences suck, but who made that choice? Certainly not the government. Point your finger at those truly responsible and expect improvement.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

So was the OJ case...Do you think OJ was innocent?

As for the DOJ reports it's odd that you just said you don't doubt what they found but disagree with their purpose...but if they found what they said they found then wouldn't you think that is a problem that needs addressing? Honestly you're worried about the WHY instead of the WHAT.

This would be like saying that the reasons behind abolishing slavery weren't always pure but who gives a flip about that now?

In this case, in your own case it seems like BLM "Whining" worked. Because they shone a light bright enough for the government to look into it and if you in your own words don't doubt what they found then you'd have to agree that protesters served their purpose.

18. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

War on drugs? This was a college junior murdered on his front porch. What did this have to do with drugs? Are you saying because he is black that he was dealing in drugs?

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He's saying the big issue is that the laws are targeting blacks more, that's certainly the result. More like certain people are able to ignore the laws and some people aren't.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, it wasn't. The OJ case ignored literally all of the evidence in order to find him not guilty. That's the exact opposite of what happened in those other cases.

Of course those things need to be addressed, but the reason they launched the investigation was an effort to make the BLM r****ds look a little less bad every time they end up on the obviously wrong side of an issue. Every time they embarrass themselves, there is a DOJ investigation launched to help them save face. Maybe you don't have a problem with that, but it's irresponsible.

If their purpose was to take away all of the legitimacy of their narrative, they've done a fine job of that. They constantly cry "wolf" to anyone that will listen and then there is a DOJ report that shows that there was a mouse.....that's pretty much the cycle. Even worse, the fools who back BLM consider the finding of a mouse proof that there actually was a wolf encouraging them to loot and burn more towns every time a black person is rightfully shot by the police.