1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Life after Death a Scientific Fact

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by aussie rocket, Aug 14, 2016.

1. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Probably a Buzzfeed worthy thread title, but nonetheless a worthwhile scientific discovery.

To be honest, this scares the hell out of me. And I am now MORE afraid of death than I was before. That few mins would be torturous if you highly aware you were dying.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/s...s/news-story/d0857acf2260c46b147233cbd2ef4422

DEATH is an inevitable consequence of life, but scientists believe they may have found some light at the end of the tunnel.

Life after death has been “confirmed” by experts who say consciousness continues even once a person’s heart has stopped beating.
    In a study of more than 2,000 people, British scientists confirmed that thought persists after death, and simultaneously uncovered convincing evidence of an out-of-body experience for a patient declared dead by medics.
    Scientists had believed the brain ceased all activity 30 seconds after the heart stopped pumping blood around the body, and that awareness stopped at the same time.
    But research from the University of Southampton suggests otherwise.
    A new study shows people continue experiencing awareness for up to three minutes after death.
    Speaking on the groundbreaking study, head researcher Dr Sam Parnia said: “Contrary to perception, death is not a specific moment but a potentially reversible process that occurs after any severe illness or accident causes the heart, lungs and brain to cease functioning.
    “If attempts are made to reverse this process, it is referred to as ‘cardiac arrest’; however, if these attempts do not succeed it is called ‘death’.”
    Out of the 2,060 patients from Austria, America and the UK interviewed for the study who had survived cardiac arrests, 40 per cent said they were able to recall some form of awareness after being pronounced clinically dead.

Dr Parnia explained the significance: “This suggests more people may have mental activity initially but then lose their memories after recovery, either due to the effects of brain injury or sedative drugs on memory recall.”
    Just two per cent of patients described their experience as being consistent with the feeling of an out-of-body experience — the sensation where one feels almost completely aware of their surroundings after death.
    Around half of the study’s respondents said their experience was not one of awareness, but fear.
    Perhaps the most significant finding of the study is that of a 57-year-old man believed to be the first confirmed out-of-body experience in a patient.

After suffering a cardiac arrest, the patient revealed he was able to recall what was taking place around him with eerie accuracy after temporarily dying.
    Dr Parnia said: “This is significant, since it has often been assumed that experiences in relation to death are likely hallucinations or illusions occurring either before the heart stops or after the heart has been successfully restarted, but not an experience corresponding with ‘real’ events when the heart isn’t beating.
    “In this case, consciousness and awareness appeared to occur during a three-minute period when there was no heartbeat.
    “This is paradoxical, since the brain typically ceases functioning within 20-30 seconds of the heart stopping and doesn’t resume again until the heart has been restarted.
    “Furthermore, the detailed recollections of visual awareness in this case were consistent with verified events.”

2. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

so life after death lasts for 3 minutes. Great.

3. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I don't doubt it.

Here's a great story:

I am not sure if it's true or not but I believe it. Why wouldn't it work that way?

http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/extrasensory-perceptions/lucid-decapitation3.htm

4. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

Perception of time is relative. 3 minutes could be an ocean of time to the person who is dying.

5. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

scientific understanding of conscious is in infancy state

6. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

That sounds interesting and also reminds me of something I read on reddit a few years ago.

Not sure if this is a true story but still a good read .

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/...o_have_been_in_a_coma_what_is_it_like/ckzitpv

7. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I watched a documentary where ayahuasca was administered intravenously in a doctor's office for a study, and some of the people completely lost touch with their sense of time. The trips normally lasted 15 minutes with the dose given and the participants where blindfolded.

One of the guys was brought to tears when he heard that his experience only took 15-20 minutes. He told the doctor that he lived an entire lifetime during his trip.

Time is a strange thing....

8. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Anybody ever read Stephen King's "The Jaunt"?

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This more sounds like we have to change the definition of "death". Okay, some people are conscious for three minutes after "clinical" death in some cases, so maybe the end of consciousness is the real death.

Still don't think there's a true life after that period.

1 person likes this.
  10. Dei

Dei Member

I donated blood once and felt really whoozy afterward. I had to sit down and I felt my consciousness almost fade away (along with almost not being able to hold my bowels). Then I saw my life flash before my eyes.

Then I got better, got up, and did the dinosaur.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Your birth to death is All of Eternity, to you.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Rachel Constantine: I was especially interested in the section on Arroway's video unit. The one that recorded the static?
    Michael Kitz: Continue.
    Rachel Constantine: The fact that it recorded static isn't what interests me.
    Michael Kitz: [pauses] Continue.
    Rachel Constantine: What interests me is that it recorded approximately eighteen hours of it.
    Michael Kitz: [leans forward so he is looking directly in the camera] That is interesting, isn't it?

13. Exiled

Exiled Member

Dead body with some brain activities is called medically a vegetative states , in some cases it can last for years, with proper ventilation ,blood circulation and hormonal replacement .the proper way is far from complete replacements,a body is by default so..lazy so to speak, that you need to create short pulse of supplies shortages so the body won't loose " brain activities "and becomes dependant .

14. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I never believed in ghosts until I bought an Oak Forest house back in the 1980s.

The elderly couple who owned it both died of natural causes in the house within two weeks of one another. I don't think they knew they no longer lived there.

On more than several occasions they made themselves known to not only me but to a number of friends and girlfriends. If I left a glass on the counter, it was moved into the sink. If I left clothing on the chair, which also was the site of "her" chair, it got knocked off on the floor.

I had one girlfriend who refused to set foot in the house ever again after her skepticism was severely shaken. When challenged to set a freshly used glass on the sink and turn around to face me (and we the only live people in the kitchen), she complied with a smirk. When I asked her to turn back around, the glass was in the sink and she was history.

I believe there is a reality after death, whether that reality is heaven, hell or a different dimension. We will all find out. To quote the mummy, "Death is only the beginning."

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Breaking news: You're the ghost

16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I also read some similar accounts in an art display in Washington. A French doctor, while the guillotine was still in use, wanted to test this out. After a criminal's head was chopped off, he picked it up and shouted the man's name. The head opened its eyes and closed them. He did it a second time: same thing, and the consciousness faded out.

The brain still has some blood and oxygen; facial nerve muscles can still be connected after decapitation. So we would probably say death comes up to a minute after decapitation.

17. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I wish I were the culprit. It was a freaky experience, one that both scared and fascinated multiple guests, so much so that I sold the house within a year.

18. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

So did you see the glass move?

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Should have contacted James Randi and got $1 million

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Boom-boom, acka-lakka-lakka boom, boom-boom, acka-lakka boom-boom.