1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Jeremy Lin says he still gets stopped by arena security because he's Asian

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rocketsjudoka, Aug 4, 2016.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/jeremy-lin-stopped-by-arena-security-asian/314175

Jeremy Lin says he gets stopped by arena security because he’s Asian

Jeremy Lin has played 25 or more minutes per game in each season since he became a household name with the New York Knicks four years ago, but he apparently still has trouble with security staffers not recognizing him when he shows up to work.

In a lengthy interview with Steve Serby of the New York Post, Lin was asked if he still encounters racism on the job or in everyday life. He hinted that he believes he is a victim of racial profiling when he’s stopped by arena security.

“I still get stopped when I try to go through away arenas and stuff, and I’m walking with my teammates, and obviously none of them are Asian but I’m the only one that gets stopped, and they ask for my credentials, stuff like that,” Lin explained. “‘Hey, we need your credentials,’ or ‘Are you part of the team?’ Stuff like that. But I really don’t let it affect me. … I’m so used to it now. It doesn’t bother me.

“There’s gonna be racism everywhere I go, and some of it’s more subtle, some of it’s less malicious. I mean, every day there’s guys with certain stereotypes or whatever, and it’s not just me. But yeah, I still go through it.”

Lin also said he sometimes has “really racist things” said to him on Twitter, but he understands that is an unfortunate part of the world we live in.

If you remember, Lin dealt with insensitive racist jokes almost immediately at the height of his “Linsanity” era in New York. Some of it came from his own team, and there were also ignorant marketing ploys from major companies. It’s a shame he still has to put up with it.

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This article changed my life.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No, Jeremy, it's because of your stupid, greasy mohawk.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Where are all these movies. The Last Racist. The Last Nazi. The Last Center.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't believe him.

7. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Wasn't this out couple of weeks ago? and it should be grouped in the Lin thread, since this only applies to him...

8. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

it doesn't surprise me and it shouldn't surprise him. he's working in an industry dominated by african americans.

9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Typical reactions. If it is Asian, it doesn't matter. If we had security guards that only profile African Americans at science conferences, it would be all over the news.

1 person likes this.
  10. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Scotty Brooks used to get stopped all the time, too.

11. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

JJ Barea still does

12. mig0s

mig0s Member

Prigioni must be a victim as well. Dudr looks like a pizza delivery guy

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

While that might be true, it's even more annoying when the news takes a single anecdote and runs with it as if it's symptomatic of everyone's behavior, which just causes more frustration and friction. The news is such an abomination nowadays that I stay away from it.

I'm not sure what kind of reaction would be most constructive to this article. There's not much you or I can do about Jeremy Lin's interactions with arena security.

We can only control how we treat people with respect.

14. Exiled

Exiled Member

Thanks JeremyTheGreart playa for staying humble , security guards jealous from you just like tinman

15. BackdoorHarden

The most racist encounter he had was actually from his own teammates, Melo and JR Smith

16. heypartner

I betcha Yao Ming was never stopped.

They are probably profiling short people who dress like Harvard students with a Mohawk. That's why Calvin Murphy started dressing so wild, at 5'8 he was stopped all the time until he learned to dress the part.

17. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Jeremy Lin is 6'3". I'm guessing they're not stopping Troy Daniels.

1 person likes this.
  18. heypartner

Does Daniela where a stupid Mohawk like a frat boy trying to get backstage

I'm saying anyone short enough to be in an entourage who doesn't look special like Calvin Murphy gets asked for credentials. 6'3 is not that tall. A freaking white kid would too. Blacks too. These arena security ppl are just dicks.

Btw. I'm making a freaking joke about Yao and Calvin, just to see who gets their Mohawk ruffled

19. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

Well, similarly I betcha Barack Obama was never required to produce extra documentation when paying by cheque at grocery stores or provide any sort of proof of his creditworthiness.

Yet, that does not mean that racism does not exist in that regard.

20. heypartner

At the arena like that, it isn't racism...it's "profiling" to keep "gate jumpers" out of the backstage area. I'm sure many no-team members who are whites and blacks who are 6'3 have made it through those security lines....so they are going to stop people who don't profile as an NBA player. I'm sure many white players deal with it too, and short black players

And I've lost some respect for Jeremy Lin to be as careless as to call profiling, racism. He's either an idiot for mistaking profiling with racism or he was misquoted.

Throwing out that word like that is a shame. It weakens the true racism out there for blacks, asians, muslims, etc who get truly discriminated against in personal insults, jobs, housing, etc...like the Tweets he gets, I suppose.

#20 heypartner, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016