1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Extend Deandre's contract!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by deb4rockets, Jul 31, 2016.

?

Should the Texans give DeAndre a new 6 year contract?

Poll closed Aug 14, 2016.
  1. Yes, let's guarantee him now!

46 vote(s)
    65.7%
  2. No, not this year

24 vote(s)
    34.3%
  1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Rick Smith needs to spread the love that was given to him and give DeAndre a new 6 year contract!! Let's guarantee he stays with us a few more years!! He's proven more than Brock has in his NFL career.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This isn't a yes or no type situation.

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Lol if it were that easy, they'd have done it by now.

4. thejav

thejav Member

he can wait a year..

5. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

yes he is worth it, they did it for JJ

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly,McNair will end up paying a lot more a year from now, so McNair's new contract man Rick Smith should make an exception for our best receiver who has superstar potential. Jump on this opportunity to secure a future with the Texans for years to come before salaries skyrocket even more.

7. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Hopkins isn't the offensive equivalent that Watt is to defense.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

1. He's not JJ

2. They only have about 10 mil worth of cap space to give him, so he'd either have to sign a back loaded deal or take 10 mil a year which is under market value.

9. Scolandry

Scolandry Member

Who on the offensive side is besides a QB is?

10. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Hopkins is the best offensive player we have. He might not equivalent to JJ Watt's production on offense but he pretty darn close. Therfore, we need to find away to pay the man. He deserves it.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's not my money so **** it, pay the man!

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Ok, you say "find a way"......with a hard cap, they can't just conjure up money. If the $10M they have in cap space this year (along with a back-loaded deal) isn't enough, where does the rest of the money come from?? I understand where DeAndre is coming from, and I do think the Texans will do everything they can to make a deal work, but it isn't as simple as you're making it out to be. This isn't a case where the front office and ownership are being cheap.....they are going to have to legitimately get creative.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hopkins signing for the fans. Fans start chanting. “Pay The Man.” <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> <a href="https://t.co/UythIWNXbs">pic.twitter.com/UythIWNXbs</a></p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/760145763968004097">August 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Restructure Cushing's contract , maybe JoJo's contract and cut a few players.

15. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Can anyone explain why the Texans are being sticklers this go around? Because he is a WR? New policy? To not even discuss a contract is strange to me. I haven't seen them make a firm stance like this ever so it seems like an odd time to do it to arguably your best player last season and IMO best receiver in the league given the QB situation. I just hope Hopkins comes in with the right mind set and teaches the young guys how to be professional. He will get his money eventually if he can just do what he has done the past 3 years.

16. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

(1) It sets a precedent to all players that you can't just demand a contract extension / more money when you want it. If this were the case, players would be coming out of the wood work at any time just demanding more money and thinking management will just give it them.

(2) JJ is a historic player, and one of his nature doesn't come around too often. His case is a bit different IMO

DHop will get his money, especially if he has a year comparable to last. If that's the case, he'll get more money at the end of this season as compared to whatever he's demanding right now.

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Please across the league, players are seeking bigger contracts. Especially after they had a pretty good season.

Hopkins did something that most great receivers never done before, and that's put up big numbers with 4 different quarterbacks. That's pretty remarkable.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They are treating him the same way they've treated everyone else. The Texans have a long standing policy of not negotiating with players while they are holding out, the negotiations can begin once they show up to camp. Also, if Vonn Miller could wait an extra year, is it REALLY asking too much for Nuk to do the same since the money he's looking for isn't there this offseason?

19. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Ok, so now that he is back in camp they can start negotiating? I read a Smith interview where I thought he said they will not negotiate during the season but that must have been if he sat out camp. I don't blame Hopkins one bit for his brief hiatus. The Texans extended Mercilus who showed promise but that would stick in my mind if Hopkins regardless of the money that is something that is hard to understand when you want to sign your post-rookie contract.

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

The owner said they will take care of him. It could be before the season starts or sometime during the regular season.