1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The point guard problem.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by johnnydeezy1, Jul 21, 2016.

1. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

a lot of rocket fans have long clamored for an upgrade at point guard. A lot of fans have been tricked into thinking we are ok at the position because of the fit with harden. Lawson's horrible bust season doesn't help there. But this is beyond fit and beyond positions. In 2016 you can't have a point guard rotation of Beverley and prigs. No matter how ball dominate and talented harden is you just can't have a dinosaur and a guy with no playmaking skills whatsoever as your only two options at a position in this nba. morey has to take blame here.

We don't even need a big name like the guys who have been available and who we've missed on over the past few years. Just a guy who has a bit of playmaking ability. Jarret jack on a vet min deal, Kay felder with our second round pick, the supposed Isaiah Thomas trade proposal. Etc. bottom line is we have needed a playmaker at that spot for some time now and we still have Beverley and prigs manning it alone. In 2016 that just won't cut it however u slice it. I hope Eric Gordon can be a solution to this but it with his past I will wait till I see it.

2. BackdoorHarden

Ty is still out there and he blames the media for making up the fact that he's a drunk. He still drinks, but he doesn't drive. He's a cool guy, ain't he?

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/07/20...im-worth-misconception-that-i-drink-too-much/

What do you say to prospective teams when they ask you about your alcohol problems?

Things happened in the media because I drank and drove. But I’m not a person out here like everyone thinks that I’m drunk all day. No, I don’t do that. A lot of my friends, we go out and celebrate. But I’m not that person in the morning getting drunk before practice. I think there is a big misconception about what everybody thinks. That’s what I basically tell them. I keep it honest.

Did you purposely refrain from doing certain things or going to certain places?

Not really. I wouldn’t be out late at night or anything like that. That would give people any type of excuse. I pretty much did the same things I always do. The times I got in trouble, I was caught drinking and driving. I don’t drive anymore or do anything irresponsible. Mostly, I’ve been just staying in and staying out of the spotlight.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Sounds like he's drinking a lot and doesn't realize it's a huge part of why he is ageing so fast.

4. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

To quote Harden recently, "Point Guards don't really exist anymore."

And I imagine him saying it in a tone sort of like "dude get with the times"

I, like many, wanted an upgrade at the 1 spot. But I'm quickly adjusting to try to keep up with what I think the Rockets are trying to do here.

Beverley-Prigs is not your PG rotation. That's a terribly inaccurate way of looking at it.

Curry is not a Point Guard. 2 time MVP Curry is not a Point Guard. He is a Shooting Guard, but the antiquated & failed way of understanding basketball puts him at the "1 slot".

I can't stand the Warriors owner for his hubris when he says "We're light years ahead of everyone", but he's kind of right in regards to how the Warriors play.

Who led in assists for the Warriors last year? Draymond Green. What position did he play? Well the Warriors last year were renown and feared for their unstoppable "Death Line Up" wherein Draymond played "Center" in the "5 spot". (more dusty terminology)

Maybe we should review what a PG does by definition. What are the classic responsibilities of a PG?

[​IMG]
    THE POINT GUARD:
    -Bringing the ball up the court
    An important but very simple check box to check. Beverley and Harden both do this fine. Gordon has a reputation of sub-par handles so he isn't ideal for bringing the ball up all the time, but this is an overrated criterion. Yes it's super important to get the ball up past half court, but gone are the days where that absolutely has to be the "1 spot" guy doing this task.

-Ball handling
    Curry is a SG in the 1 spot who dominates the ball. Harden dominates the ball. Truthfully the Warriors have so much passing that there isn't 1 person assigned as "you be the guy who dribbles out the clock."

-Playmaking
    Warriors leading assist generator is a big. The other is a "shooting guard" at the "1 spot". (I know, these quotation marks are getting a bit annoying but I'm going to ride it out). Really the Warrior's system itself is the playmaker. Everyone makes assists by way of their system of constantly moving the ball.

-Guarding the perimeter
    Really everyone on the court has to guard someone. Traditional PGs guard the 1 or the 2 . If Dray is the Warriors "PG", based off assists, you wouldn't want him to guard the wing primarily. But he can guard 1 through 5 pretty effectively. Curry doesn't play D. I'm sorry if someone lied to you. Klay is average and sometimes terrible at D. Don't drink the Kool-Aid. Beverley is a hard nose defender. In the traditional sense of guarding the 1, he's fits the bill. Harden needs to improve, but like Dray, Harden can go outside of his natural element. He can D up on bigs posting up and pester them cause he's so sturdy and strong.

-Being the communicator/floor general
    Harden does this fine. On the Warriors, Dray is more of this guy than Curry. And again on the Warriors, the system has everyone being a communicator. There isn't one designated floor general waiving his arms at people to move this way or that way.

-Passing
    Again everyone on the Warriors passes. It's because when they won their 1 and only championship, assistant coach Alvin Gentry said "Tell Mike D'Antoni he's vindicated." Look at what all the Warriors coaching staff had to say after winning in 2015. They tipped their hat to D'Antoni philosophy. And D'Antoni's system is position-less.

-Control Tempo
    7 seconds or less. The system gets you the open look. Everyone runs, everyone passes. When we do need to run out the clock, all of our guards are more than capable at doing that.

2 people like this.
  5. OTMax

OTMax Member

With Harden's mentality right now, it will never work, but Harden is definitely not a PG and the position is still very much alive.

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I wouldve been extremely happy signing Greivis but I dont think Mauree even attempted to contact him.

7. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Curry isn't ball dominant.

8. basketballholic

Eric Gordon
    Career Assist/Turnover ratio = 1.48
    Career Assists/Scoring Possessions (Usage) percentage = 20.2%
    Career Assists/36 minutes ratio = 3.5
    Career Assists/100 possessions ratio = 5

James Harden
    Career Assist/Turnover ratio = 1.63
    Career Assists/Scoring Possessions (Usage) percentage = 28.1%
    Career Assists/36 minutes = 5.3
    Career Assists/100 possessions = 7.4

Steve Nash
    Career Assist/Turnover ratio = 2.97
    Career Assists/Scoring Possessions (Usage) percentage = 71.9%
    Career Assists/36 minutes = 9.8
    Career Assists/100 possessions = 13.8

Ricky Rubio
    Career Assist/Turnover ratio = 2.96
    Career Assists/Scoring Possessions (Usage) percentage = 80.8%
    Career Assists/36 minutes = 9.5
    Career Assists/100 possessions = 13.3

See my signature

9. alethios

alethios Member

perhaps Mor-E is intimidated by him

[​IMG]

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Not this again.

Harden, Beverley and Gordon will take almost all the ball handling duties.

We need upgrades at pf and c

11. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

This will be the excuse that most fans will use for Harden in his whole career.

Especially after he will commit a lazy pass, a dumb TOV, give up on defense, and also when the Rockets failed to score for a stretch of time - whether he will be on the floor or not on the floor.

This is called the easy way out.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

See my signature

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Agree about PG. But why do you say C is a priority. I actually think a real backup to Ariza is a major priority. If we don't sign DMo, I see Ariza a lot at the 4, so I want a good SF backup.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah that's true, I guess that's why we went for bazemore.

I'm not sure Capela can really handle a starters role yet

15. jonasXV

jonasXV Member

Do you have by chance CP3's numbers? just pure curiosity. Thanks Sr.

16. hakeemthagreat

Harden is the PG. If you don't know this then you haven't seen the Rockets play the last 3 seasons

17. Chamillionaire

Nash was the best shooter ever before Curry came along. RR is literally one of the worst shooting players in the league.

18. basketballholic

Harden is literally the worst turnover player in the league.

Scoring and distributing are 2 different things. Just because a player is an efficient scorer does not make them an efficient distributor. James and Eric are scorers, not distributors.

Distribution is a vital part of championship basketball. The ball has to move, move, move and move some more. The only distributor on this current roster is Pablo (when he signs). That's it. When you combine this lack of distribution, which equates to a lack of ball movement, with some very poor passers, you get a Harden-Centric offense. At this point the only thing we've done is trade some rebounds and defense for some shooting. We've added a coach who believes in and preaches ball movement but we haven't added ball movement. You have to have at least one guy on the floor who is both creative and efficient passing the basketball and who thinks pass first. We ain't got that guy except for about 5 minutes a game (pablo).

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He should get a look at Steve Francis and see how fast alcohol can get you out of the league.

DD

20. basketballholic

Chris Paul
    Career Assist/Turnover ratio = 4.1
    Career Assists/Scoring Possessions (Usage) percentage = 61.2%
    Career Assists/36 minutes ratio = 10.0
    Career Assists/100 possessions ratio = 14.6

Stephen Curry
    Career Assist/Turnover ratio = 2.15
    Career Assists/Scoring Possessions (Usage) percentage = 37.6%
    Career Assists/36 minutes ratio = 7.1
    Career Assists/100 possessions ratio = 9.7