1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016 NBA Draft/2-37] Chinanu Onuaku

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2016.

?

Do you like the selection of Chinanu Onuaku?

Poll closed Oct 26, 2016.
  1. YES

55.8%
  2. NO

44.2%
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL this is freaking hilarious, how many people are saying last year Morey wasted the Dekker pick? And when Capela got drafted and played like **** during SL and the first few games didn't everyone kept screaming bust? SL doesn't mean anything, it favors rookies who are already older and more developed or have more playing experience.

Dude's 19 AND he's a big man, wait until he's like 23 before you make any judgements on how good/bad he is. Bolomboy's 22, where was he 3 years ago?

Demetrius Jackson - 21
    Joel Bolomboy - 22
    Isiah Whitehead - 21
    Patrick Mccaw - 20
    Kay Felder - 21

Gimme a break, wasn't everyone making fun of the Chinese guy we drafted for allegedly being a couple years older than his stated age? Chinanu is at least a year younger than majority of people we passed up at least let him have 1 year before you judge his play. OMG we picked Chinanu and passed on a guy who scored 10 and 11 pts in 2 SL games, I'm crying tears of regret here LMAO

Chinanu looks like a fantastic pick, it's not like we're bleeding for centers we have Nene and Capela it's better to have a project like Chinanu who looks like he'll have a really solid career in the NBA than some prospect that performs better because he's like already 24 or something. If you actually watched SL games you'll see that although Chinanu didn't manage to pile up the stats, he was just a step slow to doing it, for example if Harrell rebounded the ball or made a block Chinanu was just a couple of steps away. To me, that seems like Chinanu has good instincts and understanding of the game, he's just not yet used to the NBA (or in this case SL) speed. Given that big men take some time to develop that's fine, Harrell for example played like **** last year too, and he's 2 years older than Chinanu.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You guys shouldn't worry too much about Onuaku. He'll get it all down. He'll have Harrell to get him in shape.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah, and honestly lots of people are hyped up about Maker well Harrell straight up made him his b**** this game so by the logic that SL means something I guess Maker's a bust and Harrell should've been a lottery pick right?

Just look at Maker he couldn't do anything with Harrell all over him this just goes to show how much of an advantage being older and having more experience gives you as rookie, 5 or years later it wouldn't matter so much but in the beginning its a big deal. I have faith Onuaku will eventually become a good player for the Rox just needs some time to season.

4. anchel

anchel Member

Give Chinanu 2 years and he's going to be an absolute animal physically. He has elite defensive potential, Capela is going to be a more polished offensive player but will never have his natural post presence, natural core and strength. If you end getting a potential elite defensive center at the 2nd round, that's not bad. He has good hands on the other end as a finisher and surprisingly good vision and passing abilities. And he can run the court like Capela. And seems smart, based on his poise and defensive positioning and rotation at only 19 y.o.

Great 2nd round pick to me.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I hope you're right. He doesn't look good to me, but obviously most rookies, especially bigs, need time. I'm trying not to judge too harshly, but he did not look good in summer league action.

6. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

hahaha this guy really knows wat he talking about, wat???

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

He's definitely got some tools . He's big and I saw several really nice passes out of the post .

8. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

He had a much better game last night. Did you watch that one? Showed some skills on offense until he hurt his knee.

9. nobie

nobie Member

What up with this guy granny ft shooting???

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

So more Thomas Robinson, Terrence Williams, Royce White, KJ McDaniels flyers that you can give up on in 7 months instead of 7 weeks.

Not disagreeing really, just that its either an athletic player churn or skills-based churn. Its all still one churn

11. basketballholic

Definitely in favor of "churning". Sign them, get them into a strict program to strengthen their unplayable weakness or create a great strength, evaluate after one season. If they don't make a SIGNIFICANT leap in skill after working in a strict program for one year, package them up and trade them got another pick or for a legit rotation player that is better than the combination of players we trade away.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

It allows him to shoot 60% that's what. I wish everyone who shot below 50% normally would shoot fts underhanded like this guy, then we wouldn't have problems with players like Rondo or De Andre Jordan being NBA players but shooting fts worse than a guy you can find in your local gym.

13. seeingred

seeingred Member

No joke - a guy hurting his team because he refuses to shoot underhanded drives me crazy. "I don't want to look stupid" - well you look pretty stupid leaving 10+ points off the board every damn game. Love that Onuaku isn't too proud to try it.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rockets signed rookie Chinanu Onuaku to a three-year deal, person with knowledge of the deal said. Followed with Nene signing.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/755784602942222336">July 20, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen">@Jonathan_Feigen</a> Houston had exactly $543,772 to spare ($31 dollars left after the signing).</p>&mdash; Bobby Marks (@BobbyMarks42) <a href="https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/755790034381500416">July 20, 2016</a></blockquote>

15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chinanu Onuaku signs <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a> contract: &quot;They gave me 3 years, all guaranteed. It shows they have confidence in me&quot; <a href="https://t.co/MNuYKwd6I3">pic.twitter.com/MNuYKwd6I3</a></p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/755789679132237824">July 20, 2016</a></blockquote>

16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Stupid to give a 2nd round pick 3 years guaranteed.

J.R. likes this.
  17. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

At 543K a year, seriously?

18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Not a huge risk with the cap exploding like it has and will. 3yrs at 550k per is not a big deal.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'm completely baffled by the 3 years guaranteed contract for Nanu unless its being bundled in some trade package. Rather have signed GP2.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

3-year guarantee? Meh, he'll be traded by/before then.

#260 J.R., Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016