1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Watkins] The Rockets free agency roller coaster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 19, 2016.

1. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

don't think Baz was ever truly thinking about coming here, we were just a backup option. Usually when FA get an offer after meeting a team and don't accept the offer right away, more than likely they're frying for a bigger fish.

2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Great breakdown on the timetables with everything! I only hope there were some more failed attempts... I'd hate to think these were the ONLY guys we even TRIED to get....

3. dram1

dram1 Member

yeah...we're just not sure in what way.

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'm glad to hear that. They didn't sit around wasting their time on Durant and have a repeat of the Melo over Lowry debacle 2 years ago. And props to KD for being upfront with Harden about his intentions.

5. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's a bit premature to call Anderson overpaid. I have a feeling that if he stays healthy, he lives up to that contract. I know that's a big IF, but to state flatly that he is overpaid would indicate that it's impossible for him to live up to his salary. I disagree for now, though it could turn out that way.

6. TheresTheDagger

I REALLY, REALLY hope they didn't just run into Bazemore's agent and say...Hey...wait a minute. What about Bazemore? Oh yeah....forgot about him. Lets offer him a 72 million dollar contract.

Good idea!!!

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

ESPN/Watkins gonna ESPN/Watkins.

Turbulent? SMH. . .

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A chronicle of the Rockets' turbulent summer in free agency. <a href="https://t.co/ZlgNEEY3Yx">https://t.co/ZlgNEEY3Yx</a></p>&mdash; NBA on ESPN (@ESPNNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNNBA/status/755487397383581696">July 19, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#27 J.R., Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

That's EXACTLY what the article said they did, not implying they did but what actually occurred. Crazy I know.

9. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Interesting re Bazemore. Glad KD had the courtesy to give James the real (and REALLY glad they didn't waste time spinning their wheels anyway).

10. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

On the Gordon vs. Courtney Lee thing, part of me thinks that Lee didn't want to return here. Remember when the rumors Bass and Lee to Houston for Asik in 2014? I remember some reporter asking Lee what he would think of a trade to send him back to the Rockets would be like and he seemed kind of against it. I think he said something about how much it bothered him to always be named in trade rumors while under Morey.

That could be a big reason why Morey went to Gordon instead. Lee was not interested in any type of return.

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

Sorry but i just cannot agree with this.

If they were horribly overpaid what are exactly Anderson and Gordon?

Horford is an all star caliber player who's able to do well everything on both ends of the court playing two spots. Anderson is a good offensive 4 and nothing else.

Gordon is certainly more talented than Bazemore, but he's also a way worse defender and the most injured player in the last ten years in the league.

So yeah, you can't really compare these guys, and the fact that the Rockets were after Horford and Baze first should tell you enough.

Horford and Baze at 42 million > Anderson and Gordon at 32.

You may like it or not but that's the reality.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

At least we (those who were dreaming about Durant here) were right about this :grin:

13. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Just a tier? Must be a joke.

Horford is

great rim protector
    elite pick and roll big defender
    one of the best passing big men in the league
    has enough range to draw defender on the pop
    can legit play center

Anderson is none of these things. The only thing he can do better is shoot the 3, and even that. Anderson is only a 1% or 2 better than Horford.

14. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Ryan Anderson not only needs to stay healthy. He needs to improve his defense to justify his contract. This is on par with paying Mozgov and Enes Kanter whatever they're paying him, actually I'd rather have Enes Kanter.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

If I said 2 tiers below would that have placated you? I already admitted that Horford is the better player, that is not in dispute. That extra $10M went towards re-signing Harden. There is a value there, especially since Horford was not going to sign with the Rockets. Not even close.

Horford to Houston is a fantasy, no matter how much better he is than Anderson. I am seeking positives, you should try it for a change.

16. MONON

MONON Member

Thanks for the recap J. R.! Good to see a synopsis of free agency. I feel a lot better about free agency now. Interesting how Anderson called Gordon right after his meeting. Guess those 2 wanted to play for the Rockets! WWhaat!! :eek::grin:

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

from the beginning like even before them meeting Bazemore?

18. SkareKrow

SkareKrow Member

The moment the agreed to terms with MDA is one. Deciding that making the playoffs and losing their 1st round pick only to get, predictably, embarrassed by the Warriors is one.

19. PeppermintCandy

Hmm, well, I guess we'll see.

Good read, though.

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm just gonna have to get over the fact that Gordon and a $20 mil Ryan Anderson are it. That's it. That's the grand plan.

It's just hard to come to grips with; and it's hard not to think we're gonna spend the next few years satisfied just making the playoffs.