1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former DIA Director Flynn: 4 years and never briefed Obama face to face.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheresTheDagger, Jul 15, 2016.

1. TheresTheDagger

http://dailycaller.com/2016/07/12/b...once-met-with-his-defense-intelligence-chief/

His agency...the DIA... produces approximately one-fourth of all intelligence content that goes into the President's Daily Brief. It's not like this is some mid-level flunky. This is his SENIOR INTELLIGENCE OFFICER.

Wow. I mean, I get that maybe you wouldn't meet with the guy every day or something but to NEVER meet the man in 4 years?

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If this man had important information to convey to the President, wouldn't the onus be on him to contact the president? If he was a 'senior intelligence official' as he has stated, wouldn't he have a way to contact the president or contact a individual who has regular access to the president? Email?

The only way I would be irked by this is if Flynn had advice/information to give and was requesting to give and was denied. He never stated he was denied. If this man had such vital information that he needed to see the president in person, and then the president denied him I would assume that is the good general's fault.

The president has many different advisers. It's on the onus of the may different advisers to inform him that they have information to convey. If Flynn never did that in the first place, then why is this so surprising to you?

Daily Caller, Trump lacke... it all sounds a bit fishy.

#2 fchowd0311, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  3. fchowd0311

Alright guys. We can ignore this thread. I did some of my own research, something TherestheDagger is incapable of doing in his own threads.

Apparently Flynn, a GENERAL, doesn't grasp the concept of CHAIN OF COMMAND

"The Director of the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency is a three-star general or admiral who, upon nomination by the President and confirmation by the Senate, serves as the nation's highest-ranking military intelligence officer. He is the primary intelligence adviser to the Secretary of Defense and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and also answers to the Director of National Intelligence through the civilian Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director_of_the_Defense_Intelligence_Agency

Flynn's position answers to the SECRETARY OF DEFENSE. If the general wanted to skip the chain of command and request mast, he would have to ask for it. If he ever asked for it and was denied, that is an entirely different story. However, according to the article, he never requested to meet the president.

Took 20 seconds to find that information TherestheDagger. Next time, stop being lazy.

#3 fchowd0311, Jul 15, 2016
    FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. TheresTheDagger

It's possible he never requested to meet Obama in 4 years as a SENIOR INTELLIGENCE OFFICIAL.

Possible...just like its possible Hillary didn't understand her email server was a bad idea.

But lets assume for a second your unproven and unlikely allegations are correct and Flynn never asked for a meeting. If you are Barack Obama and you want to get as clear a picture of the intelligence you're getting...wouldn't you ask to be briefed by the man who's agency is collecting it?

Maybe...just once? Maybe? In 4 years?

5. fchowd0311

If I was the president I would follow basic protocol of the chain of command and ask my Secretary of Defense.

The Defense intelligence Agency which Flynn was the head of answers to the SECRETARY OF DEFENSE. Flynn would be skipping the chain of command if he went directly to the president. I don't know if you ever served in the military, but I have, and that's how chain of command works. The only way to skip the chain of command is to specifically request it. We called it 'requesting mast' in the Marine Corps/Navy. If he never requested, then he obviously is trying to be disingenuous to fool people into thinking that Obama doesn't care about national security or whatever narrative they are trying to spin.

Flynn, a GENERAL, ought to know this which makes me conclude that this is nothing more than a political move on his part as he is Trump's man now.

#5 fchowd0311, Jul 15, 2016
  6. TheresTheDagger

Oh I see. So what you're saying is the DIA doesn't ever report to the President for opinions, insight, further clarification on the information his department provides. EVEN THOUGH 1/4th of his Presidental Daily Intelligence Briefing is provided by his agency.

You do realize the Director of the DIA is on the same level as the Director of the CIA right? So if Obama never talked to the CIA director in 4 years that would be normal too.....right?

Meanwhile, just go ahead and gloss over this direct quote from Flynn:

7. fchowd0311

It seems as if you still haven't grasped the concept of 'chain of command'.
    That is incorrect. The CIA is not under the umbrella of the DOD like the DIA. The CIA is its own separate entity.

So... someone who never met the president makes a character statement about his 'aloofness'. Why does that not sound credible?

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Faux scandal alert

He never met with Flynn, just his bosses. Mkay.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The last time you said that you were talking about someone committing multiple felonies.

10. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Why would he need to meet with a senior intelligence official on isis,just the jv team

11. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

He's probably crying bc he wasn't important enough for a 1-on-1. I'm sure he 'met' with the President in group meetings. And wtf is a dailycaller? I'm new to the D&D... is this like when people report NBA trade 'rumors' from bs clickbait websites?

12. fchowd0311

Because the president would have received any of his briefings through the Secretary of Defense since that was Flynn's boss.

Chain of Command people... Chain of command...

Oh... and who said he was the senior intelligence official on ISIS? There is no senior intelligence official of ISIS. That's not how it works.

13. TheresTheDagger

LOL. First of all, he doesn't JUST report to the Sec Def...he also reports to the Director of National Intelligence. So since we're being "accurate" lets get it right shall we?

He is the nation's highest-ranking military intelligence officer. The Director of the DIA is also one of the top 3 intelligence officials in our government. This isn't some mid level flunky.

Are you seriously trying to imply the President not meeting with this guy for 4 years happened because he was following the chain of command?

You say you're a former member of the military. (Thanks for your service).

Are you saying you never spoke to any officer above your rank except your direct commanding officer/non comm officer? In a 4 year span? Moreover, you're claiming more senior commanders in your unit never spoke to those in their unit except for his direct reports unless specifically requested?

Come on now.

14. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Do you think he was NEVER in a meeting in the same room as the President, or do you think he didn't ever have a 1-on-1?

15. fchowd0311

My commanding officer wasn't the President of the United States. He had a little more time for us lowly enlisted guys and even then I only spoke to my company commander a few times. And it's a BIG deal in the military to skip the chain of command.

Again, this seems nothing more than being personally butt hurt and political. He answers to the secretary of defense. That is who he reports to. The secretary of defense reports directly to the president. If Flynn wanted to speak directly to the President, he would only need to ask. I would only be concerned if Flynn asked, and was denied.

16. TheresTheDagger

Its not about chain of command. Its about a 4 year period of time where someone with intimate knowledge of our intelligence never met the President. EVEN IF it was a chain of command issue, Obama could have asked for the meeting any time he wants to. THE CHAIN OF COMMAND STOPS WITH HIM. He never did...during a time when we were doing the Soviet reset, Iran Nuclear Deal, Rise of Isis, Syrian War, and more. Doesn't that strike you as strange in the least?

Also incorrect. The DIA reports to the DNI as well as the Sec Def. It is not strictly under the direction of the Defense Department.

Yes, lets believe you...someone who's never met either man....instead of the man who had a 4 year relationship with Obama and his underlings.

17. fchowd0311

No... I'm still hundred percent correct. The DOD is the parent agency of the DIA. It's a 5 second google search away dude. The CIA is it's own separate entity that isn't under the umbrella of the DOD.

Also, according to Flynn, he had no relationship with Obama... so, ya...

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You'll have to show me the indictments and convictions. There've been too many faux scandals for me to remember.

Shoudn't you and the Trump kids be landing in Syria about now to start the Third World War? Good luck bro.

19. TheresTheDagger

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director_of_the_Defense_Intelligence_Agency

He is the primary intelligence adviser to the Secretary of Defense and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and also answers to the Director of National Intelligence through the civilian Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence.

By the way, I just finished the book:

"Playing to the Edge" by Michael Hayden...the former deputy DNI and later CIA director under Bush. He also CLEARLY points out the reporting relationships for DNI in his book. So yeah...I was right. Dual reporting relationship.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, that's right, if you have the political power to prevent an indictment that means it didn't happen. I'll have to remember that the next time people accuse other politicians of things.