1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The James Harden Extension: A Salary Cap Perspective

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 10, 2016.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

2. RESINator

RESINator Member

Good read. Thanks!

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Thank you, Bima.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Great as always Bima,

And really struggling with knowing we are sort of locked in with the team we have and no real up and coming players outside of Capela, and maybe the young Chinese player.

I fear Harden's tenure will be a lot like Steve Francis - great individual player who is not really a leader of a franchise.

DD

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks for the edification, you're aces!

I do question one conclusion, however: But with a boatload of goodwill in the bank (literally!), an opt-out by Harden would most likely be in order to secure another long-term deal with the Rockets rather than to bolt for another franchise.

We, the American sportsfans, see examples w/great enough frequency where that does not eventuate. But, we shall see lots between now and then.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

DaDakota longing for more cap flexibility vs paying your current players what the are worth.

That's quite a turn of position

But it makes sense if your primary position is to be a Morey contrarian, and strive to not agree with him

3 people like this.
  7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Got eem

Comparing Harden who's a real future hall of famer to Francis. Smh

8. Nook

Nook Member

If Harden were to opt out, the max he would receive would be higher which makes it harder for other teams to clear the capspace to give Harden the max, and that extra year the Rockets can offer will be even more valuable.

So if Harden wants to leave and sign with someone else he can. However he will be turning his back on a lot of money.

9. DreamEarlNolan

In my opinion this only helps the Rockets situation in free agency next year. Free agents don't want to go to a team filled with uncertainties. With Harden, Gordon, and Anderson locked down for the next few years, it provides the stability that any potential free agents will be looking for in a new team.

10. Nook

Nook Member

I love you man... but for years, if not a decade you have consistently said flexibility and cap space and contracts didn't matter. You claimed that Alexander wouldn't spend money.

Now all of a sudden it matters?

11. nnayak

nnayak Member

Isn't this the opposite of can kicking?

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

One of the recent trends is that, given the shorter length contracts and increased cap #s, "cap flexibility" can often be created on the fly when needed. If you get a player to want to come to your team, it is easy enough to dump a contract or two. Just look at Golden State.

This season, the cap hit barely matters anyway since there is nobody the Rockets apparently wanted to chase with the remaining $9.7M or whatever. Next season's extra cap hit could make a difference, but moving the other pieces around should be easy enough especially with Ariza, Brewer and Beverley all expiring. Even the Anderson and Gordon contract should be movable if needed unless they don't perform.

1 person likes this.
  13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Morey should have kicked the can!

And thanks as always, Bima. Clarified some things.

14. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Thanks Bima.

15. MONON

MONON Member

Good points. I agree that if you didn't see anyone you wanted to spend 9.7 M on, that was a good PR move to extend your best player with it.

Oh, yes! Thanks Bima Thug!!

16. playlife

playlife Member

Lol...DD wants the best of both worlds....pay the guy! and retain cap flexibility! ;)

17. Rokman

Rokman Member

When you are as rich as Harden is and will be by 2019, money will be less of a factor in staying and an NBA legacy with a Championship is typically the main concern. If the Rockets aren't truly set to win a Championship, Harden is gone. He loses $5,000,000 who cares. He'll make it up in endorsements with that ring on his finger. There is no such thing as loyalty in the NBA anymore outside of Duncan, Ginobili, Parker and Pop.

18. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Comparing Harden to Francis is insulting, DD. Harden could retire tomorrow and still far exceed anything Francis did as a Rocket.

He is the most productive and successful Rocket we've had since Dream/Clyde/Barkley.

19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Overall I like it... I have been conflicted a lot since hearing.

On the cheapo hand, you have the guy for two years at a discount. However, holding him at that salary (making less than Ryan Anderson) is likely to influence him to leave after the two years. That means that the James Harden watch would have been scheduled to start this upcoming March and then follow the team for the next 15 months. We get a little bit of a reprieve on that and some time to (finally) build a team around him. Obviously there are areas where he has to step up. I will be highly agitated if he doesn't up the effort on defense. Especially with the huge raise!

Overall, I like the message it sends. Best player should make the most money. You may see a few issues this year where these FAs are getting huge money and then just not performing relative to other underpaid teammates. I could see that causing friction. We have some value rotation players (Nene, Bev, Ariza) and can afford to allocate some of that money to the man that makes it work. Not to mention this increases his trade value. Don't believe that will ever happen but it does. The extra year

20. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

is critical and I like the PO setup. Overall, I approve.