1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season Six

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rcoleman15, Jun 20, 2015.

1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Agreed, big fan of his.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

GRRM put those in there because, after Book 3 he tied himself up in knots with all the storylines he was following and couldn't figure out how to put them all neatly in a book. He ended up picking this geographical split, which imo was an editorial mistake, and one that contributed to the dissatisfaction readers have had with books 4 and 5.

Anyway, within the books GRRM is still at pains to make sure the chronology hangs together even if the narrative jumps around in time. You can use the same reasoning for the show -- that we jump around in time -- but they aren't at pains the way the books are. I think there's a simple smell test here. If you're watching the show and say "What the hell is Varys doing there? I thought he was in Dorne!" then they didn't do enough to give the audience a feel for space and time. Never once reading the books did I have this feeling or had to start flipping back pages to figure out how it is this guy is here at this time. The books rang true while the show rings false, even if you can make excuses for it.

Not feeling it. Jaime isn't devoted to his children the way Cersei is. He mourns Joffrey but is also a bit aloof. His first allegiance seems to be to Cersei.

Honestly, while it tickles me to watch Lady Mormont lay the smackdown, I also find her character to be completely not credible. I hope her character will now fade to the background.

The houses chose it, but it's also based on their history of having once been an independent kingdom. I wouldn't say inheritance doesn't matter at all. And, if it is discovered that he's not Ned's son but his nephew, I wonder if that impacts allegiances.

I always thought of it as Ice being the White Walkers and the Fire being the Dragons. I don't see why the title would need to be references to people.

Not seeing a Tyrion-Dany pairing. I don't think they'll go there at all.

I agree with someone earlier -- she may flirt with using her marriage to help win the throne but in the end she will be unmarried. It is a good question though of how to handle succession. For that reason, maybe she doesn't become queen in the end.

Regarding Da'ario: First, I'm glad they left him behind because I never liked the character in the show. But second, does is strike anyone else as ridiculous to leave a foreign mercenary in charge of the newly re-liberated slave city? He's foreign and a mercenary and has no interest in governance. I was rather expecting that Dany was going to leave Greyworm and Missandei in charge of Mereen with the Unsullied there to make sure of their security. I figured that was the point of those uncomfortable joke scenes with Tyrion. Though those two may not really be effective governors, they're at least more local, and identify as ex-slaves. For show logic, that'd been enough. But Da'ario and the Second Sons -- doesn't make much sense.

I think Da'ario tested the theory a couple hundred times.

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

[​IMG]

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/UDn7X"><a href="//imgur.com/UDn7X"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

No resemblance?

4. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

The other one belonged to Joffery and I believe he was buried with it at Baleor's sept which was just blown up.........

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I think I'd have a hard time swallowing Sam stumbling upon some secret knowledge to win the war out of those billions of texts unless it's done believably.

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Not all white people look the same. That's racist.

7. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Tommen has it according to this. This lists all the other Valyrian steel swords too.

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Valyrian_steel

8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Youre right. Those pics are of Ethan Hawke.

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

ETHAN HAWKE IS IN GOT?!!? :grin:

10. The Stig

The Stig Member

So when they proclaim Jon as the King of the North, is he still a Snow or is now recognized as a Stark? Thought they left that a little bit unclear.

11. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Only Cersei can legitimize him. Similar to how Tommen legitimized Ramsay.

1 person likes this.
  12. The Stig

The Stig Member

Well if that's the case, Dany, Tyrion and co. need to get to Kings Landing ASAP

13. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I thought they were the same person at first.

14. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I think it's left unclear. For all intents and purposes Bran is still alive and should be the true heir to Winterfell but they don't know that. I think Jon is King of the North because he has all the banner-men's support but Sansa will still be Lord of Winterfell since she's still the rightful heir.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So yall thought Euron left the Iron Islands right after being named king, temporarily abandoned the drowned god, took up the lord of light cause, decided to raid a small settlement, then chilled for a while in that part of Westeros (wherever it was) all while he was ordering the citizens of the Iron Islands to work nonstop on building 1,000 ships? And then he would have just been unceremoniously hanged and that would be the end of him?

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

BTW has anyone here caught wind of the theory that Jon Snow's dad is actually the Mad King? This idea was tossed around on After the Thrones, which is HBO's GoT recap show.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm sure the Citadel library is very well organized, and he could narrow his search easily. That said, I'm suspecting he'll have to decode something that requires several books to solve...or reveals a secret chamber of books...long since forgotten.

I can see a scene where he's with Gilly explaining in complexity his struggles to solve the clues, and Gilly innocently says something simple, which he realizes is the solution, and he kisses her in excitement, leaving her with the classic "what did I say" look on her face as he runs off to the library.

#2757 heypartner, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Interesting theory but how would it work out? I mean it is a lot more cleaner if Jon is just Dany's brother.

19. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I did a double take too, but this is pretty funny.

Anyway, I'm 90% sure Daenerys is going to meet Euron's fleet at sea, and it will not go well for them. A possible huge number of ships manned by captains and crew who have essentially spent their whole lives at sea raiding and doing battle, vs a bunch of people that have barely been on boats (minus the few with Yara/Theon). Yeah, they have dragons, but that would be about the only advantage.

Too bad there's no Victarion in the show:

[​IMG]

#2759 DCkid, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

You mean nephew?

AFAIK it is possible that the Mad King and her crossed paths shortly after her kidnapping. The guy who suggested it on the show is a book reader so I have to think there's nothing in the books that would eliminate this possibility.

It also explains why the show muted Lyanna as she said who the father was.