1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kind of weird how we're back where we were 2-3 seasons ago...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rofflesaurus, Jun 25, 2016.

1. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

I was happy when getting Harden. I was ecstatic knowing we'd have a Dwight-Harden combo. And that ended up not working out...

Where do we go from here? Do we toe the line between 8th/9th seed again to fight for mediocrity? It's going to be tough for us to land the big free agents and we don't have any superstar talent with our younger guys outside of Harden. Only thing would be to trade for high risk-high reward type of guys (headcases or disgruntled players) and that usually doesn't end up in our favor.

I have faith in Morey and he's been doing his damnedest to get us to contender status... I really hope we don't let him go, I just don't have high expectations for the team now. We were all sippin' Kool-Aid from a fluke season and making the WCF.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's not weird. It's the kick the can down the road Morey theory in effect.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am getting tired of my own meme.

:)

DD

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

It was obvious this was going to happen, a lot of people said this would happen when all you're doing is compiling assets and keeping doofus coaches when you should be thinking about winning it all.

The whole 3rd star drug got to Morey in the worst way and since then he has made one stupid move after another.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rockets must be one of the Top 8 teams best at taking several steps back after taking a step forward

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

*shrug*

Rockets will be no less than 5th in the West

Rocket River

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Did you mean southwest?

8. playlife

playlife Member

I remembered when Howard just got here...we had tons of assets to improve the team further. Now we have nothing :(

9. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

This is what happens when you put yourself at the mercy of trades and FA, neither of which are really within your control. I understand Les isn't really interested in building through the draft, but this is the associated risk.

2 people like this.
  10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

DEFENSE "clap" "clap" DEFENSE "clap" "clap" Yaaaaaayyyyyyy!!!!!;)

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

We'll said ma'am. You're spot on

12. Rocketeer4Life

I feel you brother. What's sad is our best player isn't even a superstar (superstars play defense and make teammates better). He is just an all-star caliber player. Sadly, this team is going no where for a while...

13. Asian Sensation

Should've traded Harden to the Lakers or Celtics and rebuilt. Watch us miss the playoffs the next 2 years and Harden leave to LA as a FA.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

??

Pretty much every team that's done super well recently - be it champs or close, has two bonafide stars and a third star of sorts.

Morey wasn't on a 3rd star trip. He was on a accumulate the best players trip.

News flash: that's required.

Howard was the cog that didn't work. Moved assets to clear space. Thought he'd be a bonafide superstar etc.

Frankly the good news is that we found out the answer pretty fast on that one. The Yao era lasted much longer.

How to fix it? Well. Accumulate star players. DM knows just like everyone there's only a few ways to do that. Trade. Draft. FA.

They have no or few trade assets. They have no or few draft prospects of merit unless they decide to tank. They will try FA for now.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I will respond properly later, but the fact that the most 3pt centered team in NBA history can't sign competent 3pt shooters in 4 yrs is pretty damning...especially when the guy orchestrating the offense is the one that failed to deliver.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We're not that far. People want to believe that you need 3 superstars to win but you don't. Kevin Love was hardly even a net positive this season.

I'm not so concerned about acquiring assets. People are dismissing the fact that we have $40m in cap space and the opportunity to play with a top 5 player in the 4th biggest market with a nice little tax discount. We can sign 2-3 solid championship rotation pieces. We have a couple of nice rotation pieces, a couple of young guys with a bright future.

I'm more concerned about the team philosophy. I believe MDA knows this is his last stop and there's a strong possibility he will give his defensive assistant more of a voice than he ever has before. His offense is top notch anyway.

I'm also thinking just Harden playing defense would dramatically improve our team.

We took a risk. It flopped. If we're just back in the same place, that's good. We take anther shot with what we learned.

17. 34to11

34to11 Member

Lol, I don't think I've ever seen supposed fans jump ship so fast.

The Rockets had a plan that nearly came to fruition. They were presented with a window that opened suddenly and they worked to maximize it.
    Despite some unforeseen obstacles they still had some success but weren't able to achieve the ultimate goal.

It was a good plan. It fell short.
    You reset and move on.

18. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

yep 1 step forward and 3 steps back. thats why everyone's pissed at this season.. and worst part is doesnt seem like any good FAs are interested in coming to HOU. Wouldn't blame them, plenty of other good teams have cap space to max them.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The question is how do we reset, especially with a key player (Dwight) leaving and free agents not even granting us meetings.

Especially when the owner is starting to "get involved" and your star who can't seem to get in shape is having an off season of partying again

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This.