1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016 NBA Draft/2-37] Chinanu Onuaku

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2016.

?

Do you like the selection of Chinanu Onuaku?

Poll closed Oct 26, 2016.
  1. YES

55.8%
  2. NO

44.2%
  1. Houston79Astro

What if I told you we picked up Noah?.... but he changed his name to Onuaku. How would you feel about the pick?

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Did you expect to grab a franchise player at #37? Did you expect to trade #37 and #43 to trade into the top 5 picks? What exactly did you expect going into the draft?

3. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

The dude is aiming for Dwight's minutes lmao...

I'll take this pick. 19 year old. Career rebound and D garbage man best case. Not going to be terrible if he can play 5-10 minutes a game behind Capela.

4. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

Money into Le$ pocket... and I was right. #ZhouQi

5. Lightsnowaction

Not so sure D'Antoni will play the rookie. Still get another C in free agency.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Has Montrezl or any of the Louisville "working women" chimed in on this pick yet?

7. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I like this pick he's a really good passer for a big and had an NBA body.

He actually attempts the mid rang jumper too and can hit it so maybe he can become a decent shooter when left open.

This was actually one of DMs better picks in a while imo. This kid could be a real player in a year or two.

If everything pans out and we do somehow sign KD/horford having young bigs like capela dmo and this guy off the bench is intersting. All those guys can switch and besides dmo can blk and rebound at a high level especally offesnive rebounding.

To beat GS you have to have Bigs who can switch and rebound the ball and capela and our new rookie can do that.

8. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

His point was there was plenty of players available that could contribute in areas we sorely need. I am annoyed about Onaku but he could be good, I like his passing. But shooting free throws underhanded? WTF.

The point is we just bought in D'Antoni and we have some of the ****tiest offensive players in the league.

We could have picked up these guys:

Isaiah Whitehead (massive sleeper)
    Demetrius Jackson (a PG who was supposed to go at 21. Again, WTF.)
    Wayne Selden (prototypical 3 and D who can actually make jumpers off the dribble too)
    Joel Bolomboy (Very athletic power forward who can facilitate, handle the ball and SHOOT).

Yet, we fail to pick up one of these guys with one of the picks we had. All of these guys above would be making contributions this year on our team and most definitely next season.

Again, a nice rebounder and shot blocker who shoots free throws underhanded and a nice 'prospect' who is built like a piece of linguini. Unreal man.

9. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I like this pick. Hard to teach rebounding.

10. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

According to Draftexpress, he's 2nd among centers for assists per 40 minutes. Very interesting. He'll rebound, defend and make smart passes offensively. Sounds like the ideal center for Mike D'Antoni.

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

[​IMG]

12. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a> had been in touch with Chinanu Onuaku: &quot;They called the other night. We had a FaceTime interview.&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/746196098100822016">June 24, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Center Chinanu Onuaku on when he heard his name called when drafted by <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a>: &quot;It was unbelievable.I didn't know what to do.I just cried&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/746193636866437121">June 24, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">C Chinanu Onuaku on minor heart procedure n May: &quot;I'm great. It's no problem at all. I feel like I have more energy on the basketball court&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/746194394722643972">June 24, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets2nd?src=hash">#Rockets2nd</a>-round pick Chinanu Onuaku: &quot;I know I'm coming into a great situation.&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/746195536709988352">June 24, 2016</a></blockquote>

14. spark06

spark06 Member

Wish it would've been Whitehead instead. I hate the Nets so much right now.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

&nbsp;

16. NickKent

NickKent Member

Looks like he has some good skills, some of y'all are straight haters.

17. hvic

hvic Member

Not bad so far

18. J Hard

J Hard Member

Oh man hust su

19. J Hard

J Hard Member

I expect a better gm and organization. Keep rationalizing garbage, exactly why maury knows he has this city in his palm.

20. BackdoorHarden

I hope LES realize this dude isn't CHINESE just because his name is CHINA