1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toddler dragged into the water by an alligator at Disney

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HoustonTexas, Jun 15, 2016.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Something I just thought of, but if an Alligator associates humans with feeding, wouldn't it also suggest that holding your child's hand would be seen as even more dangerous than not holding your child's hand, as that would remind them of a human dangling like a chicken or a pig or something.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

if Alligators were a threat to humans we would've made them extinct a long time ago

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I pondered that very subject this morning after reading about the mom in Colorado who fought off a cougar trying to eat her kid.

4. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I think they should import hippos to balance out the gator population.
    [PROBLEM SOLVED]

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

1 - That wasn't so hard, was it?

2 - Could that sign be any smaller?

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

A cougar cougar, or, you know, a cougar?

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Just like rattlesnakes amirite? Utter nonsense. Mosquitoes are the biggest threat to humans, where are we at on that one Dr. Scientist?

Humans kill off big slower mammals that are a good food source and difficult to domesticate.

9. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I def want to know the answer to this too please!

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Alligators are frequently cannibalistic.

To me it is a shame the kid wasn't eaten. By that I mean it is a shame he was essentially killed for sport. Obviously, I'd rather the child have been entirely safe.

I think Disney bares some responsibility. It isn't their fault that there was a gator, as there is no reasonable way they can keep gators from ever entering, but simple signs can go a long way and they should work to relocate any known gators on properties.

11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The kid wasn't killed for sport. Apparently, alligators prefer their kills to be slightly rotten before consuming them.

Changes were expected by Disney, but the fence and signs aren't going to stop gators from approaching the beach. Either Disney installs an alligator proof fence or they close the beach. No amount of prevention will absolve Disney of liability if it happens again. Those signs and their roped off fence won't do it.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

One Alligator was given immunity for his testimony, and has been relocated into the NYC sewers.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think alligators prefer rotten food because the smell is easier to detect. If they killed and left the food behind, their food would be eaten by another animal.

Why exactly the boy was killed, IDK, but it wasn't for the alligator to eat him, or he would have.

14. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO Excellent plan. I suggest building large swampy bodies of water in large urban areas with a high population density. Let's fill those bad boy moats with lots of gator's and hippos. Preferable near schools, grocery stores and hospitals.

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

A big part of the problem is all the stupid people who feel they should be feeding the gators something. Then, those gators come to shore expecting handouts and, when they don't get them, they just take the human instead. Those are just stupid people. And, they are probably stupid drivers as well. Yea...I like to lump all the stupid people together in one basket...because they're stupid!

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It was to eat him. You can google it. Plenty of citations that say alligators sometimes bury their food to let it decompose.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Actually, I think I read somewhere that Hippos cause more deaths in Africa that alligators and crocodiles.

19. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

True. Hippos are the deadliest animal in africa (not counting mosquitoes since they do not kill themselves).

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

His joke done went over y'all head.