1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 NBA Draft, The Rockets pick...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Royce white II jr.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Deep draft-we R still talking about ~50 players w/legit chance 2make impact in NBA-highest since I joined HOU-reminds me of deep 2005 draft</p>&mdash; Daryl Morey (@dmorey) <a href="https://twitter.com/dmorey/status/744005405710290944">June 18, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Greeeeeeeaaaat, Daryl.

4. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Cleverly disguised "Not trading up into the 1st round" tweet.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yep. "Don't get disappointed when we draft a nobody in the 2nd round."

6. alethios

alethios Member

But according to Darell, those picks will net a solid, impact player, ready to contribute...right?

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I told you guys. This draft cannot be considered as weak. There are too many young players coming out. I guarantee we will be talking about this draft in the next 2-3 years.

8. omgTHEpotential

So many lesser Howards in this draft.

Sorry, I couldn't resist :grin:

9. StrawberryJamm

best shooter available

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I pretty much don't believe anything this guy says anymore. But obviously it's a very good draft, just look at the players. I'm sure we'll get someone good out of the 2nd round.

But It makes me so angry that we haven't really been able to get excited about the draft under Morey's tenure because they never really prioritize building trough the draft.

I get that no one wants to perennially suck to rebuild but the last draft we were real players in was the Royce white draft: and we traded one, one self destructed, and one never achieved his potential.

I'm starved for draft excitement, really wish we had a pick this year and find Morey's public spin to be even harder to listen to; I'm not happy.

11. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Wouldn't be surprised if they acquire a late 1st round pick with all the deep depth in this draft.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

In all fairness, drafting a guy in Jeremy Lamb whose talent was enticing enough for the Thunder to be willing to trade James Harden to us is pretty freaking exciting to me.

I didn't want Royce White at 16. I wanted Tyler Zeller (and I heard some of the Rockets' coaches and scouts did, too). But I at least understood the need for a team without a star (at that time) to swing for the fences on a high ceiling-low floor player. Unfortunately, White hit that floor. Hard.

Also, while Terrence Jones had the natural talent to be a top-7 pick, he didn't go in that range. He fell to 18th overall. At THAT draft spot, Jones has accomplished about what you'd expect. He just wasn't the STEAL we had all hoped for.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

For the millionth time - there was a lot more than anxiety disorder going on in that case. :cool:

14. Aruba77

I knew someone would come with the Jeremy Lamb Harden comment, but also consider that he was really just one piece of that deal. Martin and the two first round picks we're big factors, no?

I'm not trying to hate just to hate. I'm saying I love the draft (always have) and it just hasn't been as exciting in the Morey era because it feels like we put a disproportionate emphasis on trade and free agency and haven't really used the draft to build a core.

I understand we've been competitive and that makes it hard to pick high, but im also sure there have been opportunities to be more aggressive doubling down on the draft.

#94 Aruba77, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  15. Chamillionaire

Great post and I agree with your points. Having said that, we.haven't had any high picks
    He's done well with 2nd round picks. No reason to double down when the picks aren't to generate an top tier player. Picking Morris o er Leonard and Royce White are both unforgivable.

Hopefully we can buy a 1st round pick this year.

16. basketballholic

I agree with Morey here. Lots of talent here. There should be at least one rotation ready player when we draft. And I think the posters in the draft forum have done a great job of picking them out.

I'll take any one of these guys that fall: Uthoff, Maker, Bolomboy, Felder, Brogdon, Payton II, Levert, Zagorac, Qi, Johnson, Zipser, and Cornelie.

17. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Just get a shooter-- preferably a "big" guy like Uthoff.

18. Aruba77

Is it wrong that a big part of me wishes we would blow up the team on Thursday night, Harden included, doing a deal with Boston for their 3 picks and perhaps a young rising stud? I just feel like it's time to do something different.

19. jogo

jogo Member

If you like to watch losing basketball with prospects who might not make it in the nba then that is a pretty good strategy.

Basically, did you like watching those years when we kept barely missing the playoffs but had a lot of plucky players?

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You're not the only one. I wouldn't necessarily blow the team up, I would just trade Harden in a package deal for those three 1st rounders.