1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we talk about Calvin Watkins?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, May 15, 2016.

1. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Dude is really not breaking anything with our local sports reporter talking about the team. He n bspn can go shove it when we start winning again.

2. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

He's fair and tells it like it is. No sugar coating.

It's common around here to not like someone because they're saying things others don't want to hear.

3. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Unfollowed him today actually after reading all his Rangers related tweets. Definitely a Dallas guy.

4. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

To be fair, Fran's story about harden/Howard is bogus. He said he had a source that said they demanded each other be traded after the Portland series. Something like that gets kept hush hush until almost 2 years later???

Please. Either he just made it up or he is an absolute fool for believing it. Either one could be related to why he was let go from the chronicle.

5. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

He was terrible in Dallas, which is why I assume he lost that gig.

As a writer, he is rubbish. I would care more about this objective neutrality if he had any command over the English language.

1 person likes this.
  6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

7. HTOWNTAKEOVER

HTOWNTAKEOVER Member

bingo.

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Well I don't agree with the bs notion that Harden cannot co exist with any star guard in the league... that's just hating and it's stupid.

9. WilliamGCash

WilliamGCash Member

That's how I felt as well. I thought he was/is pretty fair.

10. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

The NBA in general is covered in a tabloid type way. I can see why a lot of people really don't like it, and that doesn't get into the fact that some people swear the games are rigged. The incompetence of the officials in this years playoffs can't be a good look for the league.

11. dje243

dje243 Member

I live in DFW Watkins definitely upset players while he was here. But really, he's just doing his job. ESPN drives stupid ill-conceived/short-sighted narratives to appease the masses of casual sports fans incapable of forming nuanced opinions. He's a smart guy, but you can tell he caters his pieces towards that crowd... the ESPN crowd. He does tweet about Dallas some but I don't think I've seen him drooling all over the mavs (I think it would be normal to keep up with teams you used to follow)... and I think I may have even see him get into a few light-hearted twitter wars with other Dallas media people who still follow him over the Rockets.

12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Honestly, we Clutchfans were harder on the rockets this year than Watkins was. I didn't sense any particular bias from him, but maybe some posters are asking for our beat reporter to be as knobslobbering as that guttertrash Ethan Strauss. Everything that guy says nauseates me. His name nauseates me. His existence nauseates me. But maybe some of you wish he slurped for the Rockets instead of the Warriors.

14. sabesque

sabesque Member

I'm sure he's an alright dude, but he works for ESPN and they have a pretty specific business model, and there is probably a certain way to be successful and rise to the top by company standards.

It's not about being a great journalist. It's about the type of content you produce, and what's going to stir up some controversy and thus get some clicks. But it's empty, shallow stuff.

15. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

He's pretty horrible at his job.

16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Not a fan of Dallas Watkins.

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I hear his name occasionally but I honestly don't even know who he is. He's never "broken" any news to my knowledge, but I also don't use twitter

18. htown1984

htown1984 Member

weird that after Jonathan Feigen basically refuted the report that Datoni was getting a 2nd intervire- Watkins tweets the below:

Late night Update: Van Gundy and Datoni serious candidates for Rockets Job??

19. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I love how we've already heard JVG say directly that he didn't interview. That was this morning.

Then just now Calvin Watkin tweets that JVG didn't interview "according to a source."

Top notch work there Calvin.

20. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^ To be fair, Watkins' sources did report that MDA was getting a 2nd interview while Feigen's sources said literally the opposite

Watkins vindicated?