1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Gomez - Are we concerned?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Hey Now!, Apr 1, 2016.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Smith sucks but I don't see that he did anything wrong here. Gomez speaks crappy English. This is a secret to whom exactly? If Gomez is embarrassed by his English he should work on it. I mean hell he's been in the league for a freaking decade now. If I worked in another country most of the year I'd hope my ability to speak their language was pretty good after a decade.

2. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

How much longer can we afford to keep him in the lineup? When Gattis gets back is he done?

3. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Evan Gattis is pretty much the exact same thing... and he makes out defense worse.

Gomez is glued to the lineup until Hinch has a better option. Tucker has a very similar average (.192 to be exact) but is much worse on defense. Marisnick has a .048 average... I mean, my goodness.

There's literally no reason to blame Hinch for keeping Gomez in the lineup.

4. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Yup, unfortunately you can thank Jake for our continued reign of Gomez horror. If we had even a halfway decent option, Carlos would be on the bench. Unfortunately, our only other CF is probably the only CF hitting worse than Gomez in the majors right now.

Wouldn't be shocked to see Rasmus start to get some CF time though.

5. Buck Turgidson

No, nobody will ever "convince" you, or understand it for you, or anything.

If you don't get what happened, it's not on anyone but you.

6. Buck Turgidson

Go find another "journalist" in a MLB town that quotes their players like that.

For the last 60+ ****ing years writers have cleaned up the quotes of latin guys who don't speak perfect english. Making your interviewee look like Stepin Fetchit is something I've never seen before.

I understand that everyone is pissed off at his performance on the field, but Gomez does not deserve that bullsh!t.

1 person likes this.
  7. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

Are there any FA centerfielders that we can pick up? Like anyone? Someone who can hit like .245 would be very much welcome

8. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I know he didn't get a hit tonight but his AB's looked a lot better. He didn't look like he was up there trying to crush the ball as hard as he could.

9. cardpire

cardpire Member

well, that approach doesn't work for him either.

10. CometsWin

Ah, yes, the unwritten rules of sports journalism. Gomez isn't some 19 year old just showing up from Cuba, he's a multi-millionaire who's been here ten years. He should be embarrassed.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Do you speak a second language?

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You're an ass is you think that way and you probably alone in your opinion. Next time you order anything at a Mexican resturaunt I hope the waitresses laugh at you when you mispronounce an item.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In his last eight games, Carlos Gomez is 2 for 29 with no extra-base hits, one RBI, four walks and 14 strikeouts.</p>&mdash; Jake Kaplan (@jakemkaplan) <a href="https://twitter.com/jakemkaplan/status/731484326244851712">May 14, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I didn't realize it was a long standing unwritten rule that sports writers would clean up English for Latino players in written articles.

That said, anybody who follows the Astros and has seen him speak knows that Gomez's English isn't the best. That doesn't bother me and I don't look down on him for it. Why is he ok with televising interviews with bad grammar but not ok with having his own words written down? If my not understanding is a character flaw on me, so be it. I just don't see the ill intent on Smith's fault.

Has Smith responded?

15. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

If you actually think that than you're a f***ing clown.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Carlos Gomez strikes out to start the 11th, it's the 17th straight game he's had at least 1 K. His .254 Slug.% is 188th of 190 qualifiers</p>&mdash; Adam Wexler (@awexlerKPRC) <a href="https://twitter.com/awexlerKPRC/status/731591334423724032">May 14, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. CometsWin

I don't work at a Mexican restaurant but if I did I'm sure after ten years I could pronounce all of the items. I do speak Spanish though but nice job.

18. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

And Hinch continues to use him. I bet you he starts tomorrow

19. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

He didn't start today, but a guy who is even worse did

Stupid hinch

20. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Can we send him to AAA? Is that allowed?