1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: which duo should we target at this point?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Vivi, May 13, 2016.

?

Pick up a duo

1. Horford - Barnes

8.7%
  2. Horford - Conley

48.0%
  3. Horford - Derozan

2.4%
  4. Horford - Rondo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Horford - Whiteside

7.1%
  6. Whiteside - Barnes

4.7%
  7. Whiteside - Conley

25.2%
  8. Whiteside - Derozan

2.4%
  9. Whiteside - Rondo

1.6%
  1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Let's say that Durant is staying in OKC (personally i'm still not sure about this but well...i'm delusional, i know) and that Howard is out. What duo should the Rockets try to sign (with a max contract) this summer, and why?

Notes: i deliberately left out Lebron, Batum and other options like Drummond, Beal, Pau cause for various reasons they won't be available (or that's what it seems for now). Also, i chose the poll options taking into account that we absolutely need at least one front court player, that's why you have at least a center or a power forward in any option.

Discuss :)

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

Sorry, i posted the same thing with a poll, if a mod can delete this i would be grateful.

3. Garner

Garner Member

This organization does not have the infrastructure to support a player with Whiteside's attitude. Despite his freakish talent, he will be a huge frustration for whichever team "lands" him this summer.

4. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Can DeRozan play SF? If so, I think Horford and DeRozan would be excellent pick ups

5. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Can DeRozan, unlike anyone we have, shoot? He's a chucker who's gonna get OVERPAID. He's really not much better than prime Rudy Gay. Hell, least Gay could kind of shoot.

I do not want us to roll out another brick squad around Harden.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Not sure and i'm not even a great fan of him, but he's 6'7 with a ton of athleticism so i think he can...

7. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

8. malakas

malakas Member

No to Rondo, Barnes, and Derozan. Also Conley will be way too overpaid. 26 per for a pointguard is too much unless they are superstars. Unlike wings there are too many pgs in the market. So I voted Horford + Whiteside.

Not that I believe we can get them but whatever.

9. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

DeRozan is trash. Not a difference maker. Another Carmelo in the making, I hope the Lakers pay him 30 mill.

Barnes is Ariza Part 2. He needs Curry, Klay and Green to take pressure off of him, all his shots are wide open.

Rondo is just trouble. Quitter. No shot.

Horford is getting old. Horrible rebounder, very average player at best. Disappears in big games. I wouldn't pay someone like him more than 13-15 mill a year.

Whiteside - Based off potential, youth and athleticism. He is worth the gamble. He seems immature at times, so who knows how he does when he's paid. I would take him over Horford.

Conley - He would be the ideal point guard, fundamentals all there and great defender. He would be my first target this off season.

1 person likes this.
  10. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

Conley and Horford. Both bring high bbiq, which the Rockets surely lacked. Also they seem to be all about the team and are more likely to leave money on the table to build a better team (not saying they will, just the most likely).

Also pair Horford with Noah, maybe even get a bigger discount (plus JVG)...just wishful

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Definitely Conley..

Not sure about the bigs.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Personally i'm torn between Horford - Conley and Horford - Whiteside. The first duo give us some really good iq and ball movement, the second one give us more rebounding, paint presence, and also makes Capela (or Whiteside if Clint blossom) available for a trade.

But i also see a good point in something like Whiteside - Barnes, and is that you still bring in two young players, so you'll eventually have two pieces to build around if/when you trade Harden or he leaves. Also, their combined max i think is lower than Conley + Horford by something like 10 millions, which is probably enough to sign a pretty good player. The problems here are that i'm not sure about Barnes potential, and i'm not sure the Warriors will let him leave even for the max.

Last thing which may sound (and probably is) ridiculous but...summer 2017 free agents:

Paul
    Griffin
    Lowry
    Millsap
    Hayward
    Gallinari

I think all these guys can fit with us eventually, and since they're all pg, sf and pf, maybe we'd like to be in position to sign at least one of them...?

Paul George and Cousins expire in 2018 like Harden :grin:

13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

A) Conley/Horford
    B) Conley/Whiteside
    C) trade for Teague/sign Horford or Whiteside/retain DMo/add Courtney Lee

14. kyrie Dwight

kyrie Dwight Member

Al Horford is trash !

15. Caesar

Caesar Member

C: Biyombo/Capela/true 7 footer
    PF: Deng/Speights/Beasley/Harrell
    SF: Ariza/Dudley/Dekker
    SG: Harden/2nd rnd pick
    PG: Chalmers/Beverly/Goudelock

Have to trade Brewer and KJ. You could trade Ariza, move Deng to SF and resign DMO, but i prefer the small ball stretch 4 version of Deng these days. Mo Speights is better than DMO too. Rather give Mo starter minutes than overpay for DMO.

Horford, Conley, Whiteside are pipedreams.

16. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

it still kills me that we could've signed Lowry a couple seasons ago. Now we're stuck overpaying for Conley who isn't even an all-star and a Horford who is clearly showing his age and was exposed in the playoffs.

Whats the point of signing a whiteside if our players aren't going to give him the ball anyways.

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

Voted Rondo.

18. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Can't believe Derozan is even an option, holy hell people watch some basketball.

19. Bo6

Bo6 Member

[​IMG]

20. Caesar

Caesar Member

That's why i've been going around saying there's no way we can contend in the next 2 years and to trade Harden now. All those guys are pipedreams or not coming here because of fit. We have to be realistic here.