1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Gomez - Are we concerned?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Hey Now!, Apr 1, 2016.

1. thaGREATwall

thaGREATwall Member

Lol. During his tenure with the Astros, there's never been a time for any sensible fan to not be concerned about Gomez. Dude had two good years in the majors. Other than that, he's been a very average hitter, doesn't walk (career .313 OBP), doesn't hit for all that much power for a guy that swings as hard as he does, but is a good fielder and can steal some bases.

Hopefully Brett Phillips does nothing in the majors otherwise, this will go down as a pretty awful trade (but hopefully nowhere near as bad as trading away Lofton and Schilling).

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I don't know quite where to put this with the offseason thread with FA discussion closed. Putting it here because Gomez's struggles are sometimes met with "we shouldn't have traded him; instead we could have signed someone good."

More often, a few people have complained about the Astros lack of signing a big bat in the offseason and "wasting" money on Rasmus. On both points, typically people have mentioned Upton.

With that, Upton's stats through 4/18: .240, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 6 R, 0 SB. Holy ****, would this forum be blowing up against the front office if they had signed him to a longterm deal.

Good job not going that route, Luhnow!

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah... if one complains, then one should give credit when it's due.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The total money/year will never be as damaging as the total years. Having Rasmus AND Gomez on essentially 1 year deals doesn't hamper any sort of flexibility whatsoever, even if both of them are colossal dissapoitnments.

5. Buck Turgidson

Unfortunately the crop of FA outfielders this winter is pretty pathetic.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Chris Davis is leading the league in HR, which is a guy a lot of people wanted, but Tyler White has shown enough that most people seem happy with our in house options with AJ Reed on deck.

The guy I really wanted is hitting .188/.291/.229 (Heyward). That is better than Carlos Gomez, and unlike Gomez, Heyward is still an elite defender.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If Rasmus has a consistent year... I could see both sides exploring a 2-3 year deal (I know he's mentioned he doesn't want to play that much longer). Or hell, even another 1 year deal.

Springer could move to CF (or Rasmus move to CF). Promote a LF from within (would be a simpler way to get Bregman up faster).

They could also still pull off another Gomez-like trade, acquiring a guy with some arbitration years left.

8. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Yes, I am concerned. We need less 'sexy' and more hitting

9. Buck Turgidson

I was just talking about plugging holes for next year. I admittedly have no idea who might be on the trade market in June. They need 1 new corner OFer later this year or definitely next.

10. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

11. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

The Carlos Gomez trade is not helping this team at all.

NY Mets did the right thing to void the trade, we screwed when we made the trade.

12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He has 1 RBI so far this season. He has played a ton, and he has driven in exactly ONE RUN. I'd say there is definite reason for concern at this point.

13. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Gomez is GARBAGE at the plate. I'm not sure he's actually recognized a pitch his entire life.

I feel like if you put him in the batters box during a bullpen session and asked him to say the type of pitch out loud while it is coming... He would get none of them right.

If his hitting coach walked up to him and asked what they threw to him, Gomez wouldn't have a clue.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Jayson Stark
    ESPN Senior Writer

Bryce Harper reached base 7 times Sunday -- without swinging once. Carlos Gomez has reached base 7 times since 4/25 -- and swung 72 times!

15. dwood21

dwood21 Member

Aren't the Astros something like 5-1 when Gomez is not in the starting lineup? He's certainly not the only problem on the team but he is hurting the team more than helping them at this point

16. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Thought it was 4-1, but checked yesterday and we're 3-2

17. Marteen

Marteen Member

As soon as he goes on another team, he will have all star numbers. As is tradition.

18. dwood21

dwood21 Member

And everyone will say we "didn't give him enough time" or "gave up on him too soon." As is tradition.

19. Houstunna

Supporting Member

4-2 could be stated if we include the game he left early.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Pretty sad I have to hear about Brian T Smith's antics towards Gomez through a podcast.

Never saw any of it here. This is big slap in the face and mark my words, it will not be a good way to keep you latino players in Houston.

#80 REEKO_HTOWN, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016