1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

10 Years of Morey Is enough

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by opticon, Apr 7, 2016.

1. opticon

opticon Member

First let me say I appreciate everything Morey has done for this team.

He gave us the likes of Scola, Landry, Lowry, Goran, Kevin Martin in his prime, a young Trevor Ariza.

Chandler Parsons , Chase Budinger, Von Wafer.

Dumping T-mac's remains for actual value!

And of course landing Dwight Howard and James Harden.

As much as I appreciate the planning and strategy that went into those moves, the truth is he had 10 years to make those things happen.

Good is the enemy of great and think Morey has taken the organization as far as he can.

We need a new voice and a new strategy. The rockets as an organization has become to predictable.

We need change. I am not pretending to know what the answer. But what we have seen for the last decade is not the answer.

2. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Agree. He has to pay for the rest of the season like McHale did for the start of the season. I think Les was behind McHale's and will make Morey pay now.

Hire Kenny Smith a GM
    Hire Thibs as HC

Time to move on folks.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

If he gets fired Im girlcotting this team.

4. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I dont care who gets hired

We need a fresh start.

Murray had 10 years to build his dream team, he failed.

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Mauri has set this team back and confused them with his nonsense. His biggest mistake still remains hiring that doofus McFail and then extending him after the Portland humiliation

So long

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I liked the guy a lot, but they need drastic change. You can't build a team based on a philosophy of perimeter shooting without having players who can shoot the basketball. You can't expect to win with a team that has absolutely no chemistry whatsoever. They clearly do not play hard for each other, or seemingly even like each other, and the roster is a result of our GM. Les would have every right to fire him at this point.

7. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Sign me up. Tired of this horrible, predictable offense and no emphasis on defense.

8. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

In terms of being a GM Morey is great. But his downfall is he also wants to be a coach with his own game philosophy and culture (without actually playing the game itself mind you). He needs to learn to trust to leave the coaching work to the coach and giving the coaches power to control the team.

The Rockets have created a careless assets culture in the locker room.

9. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

If Rick Smith still has a job,......

Morey stays.

10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

If Durant comes then his whole plan worked. If not then I imagine he's on thin ice. He didn't trade for Harden four years ago without this summer in mind. It would be premature and unfair for him to be fired because a WCF team underachieved so much. McHale hiring was puzzling at the time and not hiring someone new was even more puzzling, but if Thibs walks through that door in the next few weeks, then there is clearly a plan at bay.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I said when we hired McHale that Morey's tenure would be defined by that hire, and it looks like that might be coming true.

I am hard on Morey because I expect him to make good decisions, I think he is doing better than average, but his drafting lately, and his lack of understanding chemistry or play style fits, and undervaluing coaching is a MAJOR problem of arrogance.

If he stays, the Rockets need a basketball guy that is equal to or above him, to fill in the gaps in Morey's approach.

Eyeballs and calculators - we have the digits, we now need our Jerry West....hey, what is Rudy T doing these days anyway? He would be a great President of basketball operations.

DD

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We need Hinkie to save us.

13. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

daryl morey's biggest mistake was trading tracy mcgrady.

14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Eh....I get the Morey frustration but I wouldn't fire him over this one season.

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

If he just didn't insist on them shooting so many three's while simultaneously getting rid of our good three point shooters and shot creators he would have been fine. Why would you announce to the league that you are not going to take mid range jumpers? Especially when Harden is the only guy who could create enough for you to get easy baskets at the rim? So stupid from a very smart man.

16. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Damn it's been 10 years? It don't feel like that long

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Kevin Mchale is his biggest mistake.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Are you kidding this season alone felt that long.

DD

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'm taking roll call. Where have all the delusionals gone?

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bring back the GM who did this:
    Houston Rockets Franchise (September 11, 1989 - August 30, 1993)
    February 21, 1990: Traded Derrick Chievous to the Cleveland Cavaliers for a 1991 2nd round draft pick (Zan Tabak was later selected), a 1992 2nd round draft pick (Curtis Blair was later selected) and a 1993 2nd round draft pick (Richard Petruska was later selected).
    February 21, 1990: Purchased Vernon Maxwell from the San Antonio Spurs.
    February 27, 1990: Signed Lewis Lloyd to the first of two 10-day contracts.
    March 20, 1990: Signed Lewis Lloyd as a free agent.
    June 27, 1990: Selected Alec Kessler (1st round, 12th pick) in the 1990 NBA Draft.
    June 27, 1990: Traded Alec Kessler to the Miami Heat for Carl Herrera and Dave Jamerson.
    August 6, 1990: Signed David Wood as a free agent.
    August 22, 1990: Signed Matt Bullard as a free agent.
    September 11, 1990: Signed Kennard Winchester as a free agent.
    September 27, 1990: Traded John Lucas, Tim McCormick and a 1994 1st round draft pick (Charlie Ward was later selected) to the Atlanta Hawks for Roy Marble and Kenny Smith.
    October 6, 1990: Signed Dave Feitl as an unrestricted free agent.
    June 26, 1991: Selected John Turner (1st round, 20th pick) and Zan Tabak (2nd round, 51st pick) in the 1991 NBA Draft.
    June 28, 1991: Signed Kennard Winchester as a free agent.
    October 4, 1991: Signed Gerald Henderson as a free agent.
    October 9, 1991: Signed Tree Rollins as a free agent.
    November 1, 1991: Signed Kennard Winchester as a free agent.
    November 25, 1991: Signed Gerald Henderson as a free agent.
    November 28, 1991: Signed Dan Godfread as a free agent.
    January 10, 1992: Signed Avery Johnson to the first of two 10-day contracts.
    January 31, 1992: Signed Avery Johnson as a free agent.
    February 18, 1992: Fired Don Chaney as Head Coach.
    February 18, 1992: Hired Rudy Tomjanovich as Head Coach.
    June 24, 1992: Selected Robert Horry (1st round, 11th pick) and Popeye Jones (2nd round, 41st pick) in the 1992 NBA Draft.
    September 25, 1992: Traded a 1995 2nd round draft pick (Jerome Allen was later selected) to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Scott Brooks.
    October 5, 1992: Traded David Wood to the San Antonio Spurs for a 1995 2nd round draft pick (Don Reid was later selected).
    October 8, 1992: Signed Tod Murphy as a free agent.
    October 8, 1992: Signed Kennard Winchester as a free agent.
    November 12, 1992: Signed Winston Garland as a free agent.
    November 13, 1992: Signed Mark Acres as a free agent.
    April 22, 1993: Signed Terry Teagle as a free agent.
    June 30, 1993: Selected Sam Cassell (1st round, 24th pick) and Richard Petruska (2nd round, 46th pick) in the 1993 NBA Draft.
    June 30, 1993: Traded Popeye Jones to the Dallas Mavericks for Eric Riley.
    August 2, 1993: Traded a 1995 2nd round draft pick (Don Reid was later selected) to the Portland Trail Blazers for Mario Elie.