1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Domantas Sabonis (Class of 2016)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by omgTHEpotential, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Tim Duncan can't jump over the phone book and it never limited his game.

2. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

You could say that about Luis Scola also, and this guy has similar moves but should he a better rebounder and passer.

Worth a mid to late lottery pick.

3. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

I actually thought of Scola when I watch the videos.

4. omgTHEpotential

Lots of similarities between young Scola and Sabonis. Both have great post-game, effort/motor, good rebounding, midrange jumper. Except Sabonis will probably be a much better defender.

5. Normalus

Normalus Member

He's more Zach Randolph than Luis Scola. Sabonis uses his strength a lot.

6. omgTHEpotential

Scola is tough as nails. ZBo comparison is a decent one as well. Some type of Scola/ZBo hybrid.

7. nobie

nobie Member

Draft Sabonis instead of Dmo? Sabonis with 3pt(he is still developing it though) would be superior to DMo almost every way.

8. omgTHEpotential

While Sabonis' post-game is nice, it's not a match to DMo's. Same with passing the ball. Also, they have the same 6'11 wingspan, but DMo is a couple inches taller, and faster (at least used to be).

9. Nook

Nook Member

I will take Sabonis under a rookie pay scale every single time over DMO.

10. omgTHEpotential

Well that's obvious. I wasn't talking about their contracts, but their skills. If you get both of them on rookie scale, I think you have to pick DMo over Sabonis.

11. nobie

nobie Member

I would pick Sabonis, he is better.

12. omgTHEpotential

Not really.

13. basketballholic

The rebounding instinct...could separate him.

14. omgTHEpotential

Well, Sabonis does seem to be a really good rebounder, I'll give him that. But that's just one aspect.

Other areas:
    Post-game - DMo
    Shooting range - DMo
    FT% - Sabonis
    Rebounding - Sabonis
    Shotblocking - a wash
    Passing - DMo
    IQ - hard to tell, both seem to have a really good IQ, but DMo has proven it at NBA level
    Motor/hustle - Sabonis
    Defense - DMo (Sabonis might become just as good of a positional defender, but he's still smaller than DMo and will have trouble guarding any C or long/athletic PFs)
    Speed - DMo

I get the constant infatuation with young college players/prospects, but some get overhyped way too much. Sabonis is still a long way from proving that he's on DMo's caliber as a player. People are fast to forget how good DMo can look when he's healthy and in shape (2014-15 season). He was one of the better PFs in the whole league last year.

15. nobie

nobie Member

Sabonis have midrange game, DMo does not.
    Sabonis is stronger and have much better balance, agility than DMo.
    Sabonis much better rebounder.
    Sabonis is far more psychical than DMo, draw more fauls and hits them at better rate.
    Sabonis build is perfect to defend versus Okafor and KAT, hes just big, quick and strong enough to give them lots of trouble.
    Remember Sabonis is 5years younger. Remember when DMo entered the league he was worthless on D, far to weak. Sabonis will be able to contribute immediately.

16. omgTHEpotential

You only listing things Sabonis is better at doesn't make your argument any stronger. Same can be done for DMo:

Also, who said DMo doesn't have a midrange? Now you're just making **** up. He was constantly shooting from midrange before he came to NBA and was forced into a system that doesn't include almost any midrange game. Moreyball is dunks, layups, free-throws & threes.

Again, it's obvious you're being infatuated by young prospects and what they can become. Even at Sabonis' age, DMo was a much more skilled and versatile prospect. Although, I do agree that from the physycal standpoint Sabonis seems more ready to contribute in the league since he basically already has an NBA ready body. His natural physicality and ability to rebound will also help him avoid some of the 'rookie growing pains'.

Ultimately, I'd say DMo and Sabonis are very different basketball players. Their only similarities are the position they play, their nationality and some parts of their overlapping skillsets. Stylistically though, they're completely different players.

17. nobie

nobie Member

Sabonis is better deal with it

18. omgTHEpotential

"Deal with it" huh? That's one way to lose an argument, I suppose.

19. nobie

nobie Member

Sabonis is projected to be for even possible top10 pick, which one was DMo picked at remind me?

20. omgTHEpotential

Sabonis won't be a top10 pick, I assure you. He's most like likely to be picked within the 12-20 range. DMo was projected as a legit top10 pick, but later dropped because of unsubstiantiated rumors of his poor work ethic which later on turned out to be lies. It's like starting a rumor that Sabonis is a headcase and a terrible teammate. He'd drop out of the first round. Thing is, these types of rumours don't stick to NCAA players if they aren't true because of how much better NCAA prospects are scouter in comparison to their European/international counterparts (in DMo's case).