1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Republican Debate live from University of Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Feb 25, 2016.

1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

damn...gloves came off...tonight. But strip down all the madness and slinging of crap on each other...they focused a tad more on policies...and Trump just looked lost a lot of time.

2. astros123

astros123 Member

" maybe im being audited because im a strong christian"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHA

1 person likes this.
  3. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Yeah...that was a pretty awful answer. I thought Trump did a good job at the debate, though. None of his supporters were pilfered by Rubio or Cruz in my opinion.

I thought the debate was fantastic. CNN's ineptitude actually made for an interesting back and forth, although there were some cringe-worthy moments when three people were speaking at the same time with Wolf unable to control the situation.

I thought all of the candidates did pretty well.

Kasich looked good out there and I think he's angling to be the VP (Trump's VP).

Dr. Carson had his best performance so far. I thought his healthcare idea, at least in theory, was pretty interesting. My insurance is so expensive ($430 per month), at age 39, that the idea of paying premiums the rest of my life is just not feasible. What is it supposed to cost in my 50s? $1500 a month or more? A transferable family healthcare plan is at least some thinking outside the box. The idea that maybe people will live healthier and encourage their family members to live/eat/workout if there is a monetary connection makes sense. I am not sure how feasible the whole thing is, but I am going to check into it more deeply. At least everyone seemed to be on the same page regarding pre-existing conditions, which is pretty damned important to me. Of course, Wolf started interrupting Carson during his answer saying "thank you" over and over again. I hate Wolf Blitzer. He is just awful.

Rubio also had his best performance. When Rubio is unscripted, he seems like an affable guy. When he's is doing his rehearsed talking points, he is just awful. He also needs to keep that ridiculous smile in check when he lands a blow on Trump. Act like you've been there before.

Ted Cruz was good again at this debate. He really is a smooth lawyer. He is still less terrifying to me than Rubio, though the idea of Cruz getting 2-3 Supreme Court nominees is not something I want to think about for too long. Cruz saying that we need no compromise in Washington is pretty crazy to me, but Cruz framing it as standing up to both parties to stop their BS was a good angle.

Again, I think Trump won the debate. When Rubio said that Trump was the only one on stage to be fined for hiring an illegal worker, Trump's response was the best line of the night: "I am the only one on stage who has hired anyone." Trump is almost like a comedian in his ability to come back at people's comments.

Honorable mention for best line of the night goes to Carson: "can someone please attack me?"

That was the most entertaining debate I have watched, ever. As crazy as everything is this cycle, this crop of republican candidates is better than the 2012 lineup.

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Did they talk about more tax breaks for the rich so there would finally be some trickle down?

5. TheresTheDagger

The 2 most memorable moments of the night filled with them.

1. Ben Carson asking to be attacked so he could get some air time.

2. Rubio using the tactics Christie used on him 2 weeks ago to nail Trump.

6. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

True. There is nothing that Rubio or Cruz can do that can hurt Trump in the sense of peeling away some of his current supporters. They are too late...hell they would've been too late back in August of last year. Trump had some pretty awful moments, but it won't matter. Rubio landed some good blows on him, but it won't matter. The only thing those attacks did is lead to some entertaining TV. I think Rubio and to a lesser extent Cruz have a fundamental misunderstanding of why Trump's supporters support him.

That said, I don't think Trump is invincible at all...I think the right kind of outsider Republican candidate could have taken him down quite easily. But that person is not among any of the folks running for POTUS this year...not even close.

Anyway, Carson had the most amusing and (as usual) bizarre lines of the night.

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Kasich going to be someone's VP

He is going to do well stealing votes from Rubio/Cruz up north.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Even as a U of H alum I disagree with the second part somewhat and actually think it would be bad for the city if either of the big two or private schools dipped in quality, especially the one churning out an extra 15,000 engineers every four years. Also I think top admin still remembers U of H's original mission and takes pride in its organic diversity and accessibility to the local community.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

These are all the same kids coming from the same schools, just a larger applicant pool and some out of staters raising the average scores.

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Carson is a weird dude and has no business saying Obama isn't black.

11. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

Rubio has a great shot here due to the way the primaries work, namely several favorable winner-take-all ones. 538 covered this.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The reality is, as long as Trump is the focus, he is the winner. He just talks right over everyone else.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump can't lost his supporters unless he starts crying on stage and apologizes for being a meanie.

He will never lose on policy because he has no policy plans. He's got zero.

When his supporters say why they like him, it's because he's "strong" "won't back down" an "outsider", and "will stand up for himself and America to make it great again".

His supporters don't talk about his policies, and they don't care. If they cared at all about Policy they wouldn't be Trump supporters. The guy has zero plans. All he'll say is that "He'll make a better deal than the terrible one we have now, and it's going to be great for America."

He doesn't say how he's going to do it. He won't say what kind of plan he'll replace Obamacare with, he won't say what any of ideas will cost. He's admitted he doesn't know anything about a lot of the leaders he'll be dealing with in foreign policy, but he'll hire the right people and learn about it after he's elected. He's said all of this stuff, it's been covered in the media, and his supporters aren't phased by it.

So the thing that they like is that Trump speaks up, and won't back down from what he says. The only way to siphon off Trump supporters would be to make him back down, and apologize for what he has said.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Well that is completely false. He has plans to build a huge wall and stop all Muslims from entering the country. You might not like the plans and they might be unworkable but that can be said about any candidate.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nope, isn't false at all.

No he doesn't have those plans. He has those ideas which somehow he'll have Mexico pay for but there isn't a plan to get Mexico to do that. That isn't a plan, it's a talking point, or an idea.

He hasn't said any specifics of how he'll stop all Muslims from entering the country. He has no plan of how to get that done. All he has is an idea or talking point.

Other candidates have laid out specific plans on how money will be raised, where it will be spent etc. Some candidates have done it more than others. I think Trump did put out a few specifics on tax plan so maybe he does have part of a plan, but he has zero plans about his talking points that you mentioned.

16. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Ideas do not equal plans.

17. Bandwagoner

How specific on the details do you want? He said he will leverage the trade deficit and they can either pay for a wall or lose from trading. A crazy plan is still a plan. This talking point of him not having any platform is crazy. He has a platform. It is isolationism and fear mongering. Walls and anti-muslim.

He is already planning the height of the wall.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gPfJwc8Cwao?rel=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

He can't do that, we're in trade agreements with Mexico, so unless he plans to repeal NAFTA first, his "plan" is literally illegal.

19. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

he said he would charge mexico tariff to pay for the wall. he even put the cost at about 8b so i guess he got a plan to build it. i think it's his strategy to not give any specifics because if he wanted to, there's no reason he still don't have any by now. if you look at other candidates' policy details, there's no magic. they're not hard to come up. all details do is turn off people that don't like them. might as well just sell his personality which is his strong point to his supporters anyway.

20. Bandwagoner

You can criticize his plans all you want but it is the same criticism of a plan that people do about Bernie and his free tuition. Wall would cost 30 billion instead of 12 billion? OK. Saying he doesn't have a plan just isn't true and is counter productive if you don't like trump. If he doesn't have a plan you can't talk about how dumb his plan is. That works out brilliantly for him. But he does have a plan on many issues. All of the ones I have heard are entirely unworkable or pointless.