1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Amick on 610 (2-24-16)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 25, 2016.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm sure someone can get the tape, but it was pretty interesting. I think he's the most plugged in reporter as far as the Rockets are concerned. He gets fed all of the juice from Morey.

Highlights:
    -Offseason dream is to keep Harden and Howard and add Durant
    -Most people think Durant is going to choose between Thunder and Warriors
    -Doesn't seem like he is really considering Washington
    -Houston will be in play. Amick did not realize just how close they were. After looking into, apparently Harden and Durant have stayed extremely close despite Harden not being with the Thunder anymore.
    -On whether Scott Brooks hiring would help Rox get Durant: Feeling is that there may actually be some "been there done that" with Durant regarding Brooks. Very fond of him, but apparently not eager to put that back together.
    -On JVG/Thibs as coaches of the Rox- there were issues with the ownership when JVG was here before (with Thibs) and not sure if either would be willing to come back into the fold
    -On Howard/Harden relationship-they get along. It is not the issue that is portrayed in media.
    -On Howard/Durant-everyone saw what Durant called him. No secret that Durant was not a fan for awhile, but has seen them since then paling around so that has changed

Also on 610 yesterday or maybe the day before, one of the hosts relayed a story Bill Simmons told, maybe some here already know it. Apparently at the Olympics players were openly talking with each other and the reporters there about how glad they were that Howard wasn't with them that year because of his personality.

2 people like this.
  2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Beverley
    Harden
    Ariza
    Durant
    Howard

1 person likes this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Fantastic recap. Thank you!

4. justtxyank

Just to be clear, he definitely wasn't talking a "It's happening" tone.

5. cdastros

cdastros Member

Thanks for the recap. I am starting to think Monty Williams will be the next Rockets head coach. Durant loves him.

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

I don't think Morey is his source. Morey was desperately trying to find out and cut off Amick's source a few seasons ago when he had all the dirt on the Rockets.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

[​IMG]

8. justtxyank

Interesting. Wonder who the source is then because he is insanely plugged in with Houston.

9. justtxyank

Maybe make a run at Kevin Ollie. I know Durant is VERY high on Ollie.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ollie was my first thought once it was mentioned that JVG/Thibs could be off the table and Brooks wasn't a deal breaker.

11. justtxyank

I might prefer Ollie to either of those guys.

I was not excited at ALL about the idea of hiring Scott Brooks so I was relieved to hear that yesterday from Amick, though I'm fearful he'll still get hired by Houston because he slides into the easy going head coach role very easily.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

So what you're saying is...it's happening?!?!?

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

What Amick is saying in regards to Durant's though process of choosing his next team, echos the report that WOJ gave.

Durant wants to win a title. And do it quickly. Warriors are a clear destination in that regard. We don't know if the Warriors want him (break up some of their pieces / mess with the chemistry) OR if Durant is ok with being a 3rd wheel and along for the ride.

If Durant wants a more participatory role in a title (being a primary driving force), he might look at his current OKC team and Houston. Try to see which one (with him on it) would best have a chance to win a title. Harden and Morey would have to convince Durant that the Houston avenue is the best.

Wizards are probably out because they are too young. Same for Orlando (who has room for 2 Max contracts).

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Glad to continue to debunk these two narratives.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

That's all it is: a dream. Keep wishing, hoping, praying. Better have a plan B, C, D, E, F ready to go quickly.

Stay home or go to the best team. Hmmm.Decisions, decisions...

Leslie continues to be a ****ty owner, surprise, surprise! Did Leslie tell the media one thing and then not do it? Did he tell Jeff he'd call him and then not do it? Oh wait, that was Rick. Rick is still waiting on that phone call Leslie.

Agree. They get along great like Kobe & Dwight got along great. Kobe/Dwight, just like Harden/Dwight is overplayed media bull****!

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

J.R. pretty sure plan B would be get Durant and Horford. ;)

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

if i were an NBA player, i would not play for the rockets unless i was handsomely paid and my other options were dwindling. I have no idea why people actually think our franchise is an attractive one to play for. Houston is not a special city. Our organization has remained competitive, but hasn't won and is constantly in flux. We have no head coach to speak of. Our star player doesn't play defense and won't sacrifice to win. And our lockerrom chemistry is poor.

Seriously, beyond the income tax benefits, why do people actually think players want to come here? I'm tired of chasing free agency. It hasn't worked out for us. We can't compete with the major media markets or the successful franchises.

People should acknowledge reality; it's time to try other approaches to being a winner. Chasing stars in free agency and playing 8th seed ball is even worse than blowing it up and building a better foundation in the hope of real success in the future.

Every time i read a post or hear someone talk about the fact that we still have a chance; we are still in the 8th seed...i literally want to hang myself. Some people are comfortable with being "good" or making the playoffs and some people are delusional about our championship prospects. Me, i want us to be legit contenders and anything short of that just won't due. We are no where close people and our foundation is pretty weak!

#17 Aruba77, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

He can still play, this team badly needs him, do not know if he is willing to come here.

19. Nook

Nook Member

If Durant agrees to come to Houston, Morey will hire anyone Durant wants to coach the team.... hell he would dig up Rick Barnes and prop him up at the end of the bench if necessary.

20. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Gerson. He releases a lot of privy stuff.